Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Quick shifter problem  (Read 6519 times)

Offline Stu365

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Pocklington
Quick shifter problem
« on: August 15, 2016, 06:58:49 PM »
All of a sudden my quick shifter has developed a problem, on the up shifts it sometimes just doesn't, even though the revs are high. It seems to either not want to change ( large resistance ) or get half way through the change and go back to the original gear. This despite as I say the revs being up, the throttle open and a positive movement on the gear

More frustratingly there is also an issue on the downshifts, previously throttle closed and step down with satisfying exhaust pop. Now if the throttle is closed it won't shift down, the throttle has to be cracked slightly before any response. This makes for jerky shifts and interesting moments as you approach junctions or roundabouts and no satisfying pop

Anybody come across similar issues? Quick fix or adjustment or trip to the dealers?

Offline RobbiHK

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE (RED)
  • Town: Huddersfield
Re: Quick shifter problem
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 08:43:30 AM »
Mines a 2015, and my dealer called me to say there was a recall on the quickshifter and they replaced mine under warranty....yes defo go to dealer.
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out of a car window!!!

Offline Detritus

• XR Junior
  • Town: Scarborough
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 09:50:12 PM »
Mines a 2015 - one of the very first. Done 13000 miles and at 2nd service mechanic reckoned it had one of the smoothest quick shifters he'd come across so probably not generic problem
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space 😈

Offline clarryr

• Ex Member
  • XR Member
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 07:59:46 PM »
From my experience the quick shifter disengages (won't work) if the clutch lever is not fully out.  Mine has failed to work that I later traced to either touching the clutch lever while trying to quick shift, or the lever is too loose and the wind has pushed the clutch lever in far enough to disengage the micro-switch.
Larry

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 08:12:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by clarryr [+]
From my experience the quick shifter disengages (won't work) if the clutch lever is not fully out.  Mine has failed to work that I later traced to either touching the clutch lever while trying to quick shift, or the lever is too loose and the wind has pushed the clutch lever in far enough to disengage the micro-switch.
Larry

Interesting, I thought mine had a 'blip' a few rides ago which made me pay attention straight away, but not since, I wonder if I inadvertently touched it or something...mmm, going to keep an eye next time if I can, which is unlikely if its nice, i'll be too busy cutting the tarmac with my rear  :152:
Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.

Offline Stu365

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 08:39:54 PM »
Cured my issue, turned out to be a slightly bent micro switch under the clutch lever. Straightened it carefully  and since then all good

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 09:39:28 AM »
The micro switch on the clutch side is the flimsiest bit of tat imaginable and was the cause of my bike not starting in gear.

Dealer did say to me that one of the first signs of switch gear failure is the quickshifter not working properly and the cruise controll not working at all
You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline Stu365

• XR Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 10:41:36 AM »
It was mainly my fault caused when I was fitting HP levers. Initially cruise didn't work but adjusted switch and that worked. Initially quickshifter worked but then subsequently failed. Those switches are a pain and are very flimsy

Offline OzbimmerXR

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S 1000 XR
  • Town: Cape Paterson
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 09:26:55 AM »
*Originally Posted by Stu365 [+]
All of a sudden my quick shifter has developed a problem, on the up shifts it sometimes just doesn't, even though the revs are high. It seems to either not want to change ( large resistance ) or get half way through the change and go back to the original gear. This despite as I say the revs being up, the throttle open and a positive movement on the gear

More frustratingly there is also an issue on the downshifts, previously throttle closed and step down with satisfying exhaust pop. Now if the throttle is closed it won't shift down, the throttle has to be cracked slightly before any response. This makes for jerky shifts and interesting moments as you approach junctions or roundabouts and no satisfying pop

Anybody come across similar issues? Quick fix or adjustment or trip to the dealers?

This has just started happening to mine last couple of rides exactly the same issues, have emailed my dealer about this but will ring Monday and chat now I have read this thread.

Offline Stu365

• XR Member
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 09:44:09 AM »
Check the micro switches under the clutch. Make sure they are not bent. That's what cured mine

dysfunctional