Author Fork seal replacement  (Read 3617 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • Offline 1Jumper10   us

    • XR Member  ‐    39
    • **
    • Topic Author

    Offline 1Jumper10

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 39
    • Bike: 2018 S1000XR
    • Town: Detroit
    • Country: us
    Fork seal replacement
    on: June 08, 2023, 05:27:30 pm
    June 08, 2023, 05:27:30 pm
    Hi all.  Brand new to BMW.  Picked up a low mileage 2018 1000XR las week and the fork seals failed on the way home.  I should qualify that with the bike pretty much sat since it was new and it appears there was some minor rust on the fork stanchions that took out the seals when it was actually ridden.  Not BMW's fault.  Just an in-attentive owner.  Anyway its my problem now.  I've got the forks off and opened and drained.  The new seals arrived today from Ted Porters Beemer shop who was very helpful BTW.  I have a question that I've found conflicting info on and that is what weight fork oil should I use? 

    Update:  Dealer got back with me.  BMW recommends their Type 2 fork oil.  It takes slightly over 1 liter so I had to order 2 bottles. (correction, it only takes one bottle. see later posts on page 2)
    For anyone looking for info the following two links were pretty helpful:

    https://www.s1000r.co.uk/index.php/topic,4677.0.html  I've only found a couple slight differences with what he posted.  One was just the use of a 20mm wrench for a lock nut where his bike was a 19mm.

    Really helpful info here.  Its 90% the same as the BMW forks. 


    Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 02:50:51 pm by 1Jumper10

  • Offline Antares   gb

    • XR God  ‐    2020
    • *****
      #1

    Offline Antares

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 2020
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    • Country: gb
    Re: Fork seal replacement
    Reply #1 on: June 08, 2023, 05:36:32 pm
    June 08, 2023, 05:36:32 pm
    *Originally Posted by 1Jumper10 [+]
    Hi all.  Brand new to BMW.  Picked up a low mileage 2018 1000XR las week and the fork seals failed on the way home.  I should qualify that with the bike pretty much sat since it was new and it appears there was some minor rust on the fork stanchions that took out the seals when it was actually ridden.  Not BMW's fault.  Just an in-attentive owner.  Anyway its my problem now.  I've got the forks off and opened and drained.  The new seals arrived today from Ted Porters Beemer shop who was very helpful BTW.  I have a question that I've found conflicting info on and that is what weight fork oil should I use?

    Originally the bikes with DDC were made with 7.5W but has been changed to 11.5W at some point. The fork oil actually doesn't have a big effect on damping at all since most of the damping comes from the left fork leg's DDC which is a closed unit.

    There is also a not insignificant difference between each brands as fork weight is a bit arbitrary. Motul 10W might not be the same as Repsol 10W, generally 10W is a safe bet though and is what I recommend when changing.

  • Offline RichieRich   us

    • XR Pro  ‐    113
    • ***
      #2

    Offline RichieRich

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 113
    • Bike: '19 S1000XR
    • Town: San Diego, CA
    • Country: us
    Re: Fork seal replacement
    Reply #2 on: June 08, 2023, 07:46:42 pm
    June 08, 2023, 07:46:42 pm
    Were you guys able to verify fork fluid level/capacity?

  • Offline 1Jumper10   us

    • XR Member  ‐    39
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • #3

    Offline 1Jumper10

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 39
    • Bike: 2018 S1000XR
    • Town: Detroit
    • Country: us
    Re: Fork seal replacement
    Reply #3 on: June 08, 2023, 07:56:15 pm
    June 08, 2023, 07:56:15 pm
    The Dealer is forwarding me the fill volumes and air volume and I will post them here when I get them. 

  • Offline Antares   gb

    • XR God  ‐    2020
    • *****
      #4

    Offline Antares

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 2020
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    • Country: gb
    Re: Fork seal replacement
    Reply #4 on: June 08, 2023, 08:08:09 pm
    June 08, 2023, 08:08:09 pm
    *Originally Posted by 1Jumper10 [+]
    The Dealer is forwarding me the fill volumes and air volume and I will post them here when I get them.

    It's also in mark's manual, can't remember but off the top of my head something like 320ml for the left fork 560ml for the right? Something along those lines.

  • Offline RichieRich   us

    • XR Pro  ‐    113
    • ***
      #5

    Offline RichieRich

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 113
    • Bike: '19 S1000XR
    • Town: San Diego, CA
    • Country: us
    Re: Fork seal replacement
    Reply #5 on: June 08, 2023, 09:15:20 pm
    June 08, 2023, 09:15:20 pm
    *Originally Posted by 1Jumper10 [+]
    The Dealer is forwarding me the fill volumes and air volume and I will post them here when I get them.
    Sweet, thanks!
    *Originally Posted by Antares [+]
    It's also in mark's manual, can't remember but off the top of my head something like 320ml for the left fork 560ml for the right? Something along those lines.
    I think it's time I cough up money for that service manual.

  • Offline Antares   gb

    • XR God  ‐    2020
    • *****
      #6

    Offline Antares

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 2020
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    • Country: gb
    Re: Fork seal replacement
    Reply #6 on: June 08, 2023, 09:37:04 pm
    June 08, 2023, 09:37:04 pm
    *Originally Posted by RichieRich [+]
    Sweet, thanks!I think it's time I cough up money for that service manual.

    it's only like 20 quid  :028:

  • Offline Salish1000   us

    • XR Pro  ‐    168
    • ***
      #7

    Offline Salish1000

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 168
    • Bike: 16 XR
    • Town: PNW
    • Country: us
    Re: Fork seal replacement
    Reply #7 on: June 09, 2023, 05:18:52 am
    June 09, 2023, 05:18:52 am
    Good work OP. I changed the oil in my 16 and just measured what came out and replaced with same. Used Redline and blended 10 and 5wt to get 7.5. Haven't had my seals fail yet but only at 19K. Will happen eventually. Mark's manual is a superb bit of work and highly recommend. Best I've seen for any of many bikes I've owned. Only wish it was even more comprehensive but it covers the things most would do.
    2016 XR with full Akra, 26,000 and counting.
    We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.

  • Offline 1Jumper10   us

    • XR Member  ‐    39
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • #8

    Offline 1Jumper10

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 39
    • Bike: 2018 S1000XR
    • Town: Detroit
    • Country: us
    Re: Fork seal replacement
    Reply #8 on: June 09, 2023, 11:06:02 am
    June 09, 2023, 11:06:02 am
    Not the first time I've heard about Marks manual.  But I'm new here and don't know who Mark is or how to get his manual. Can I get a link?

  • Offline Antares   gb

    • XR God  ‐    2020
    • *****
      #9

    Offline Antares

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 2020
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    • Country: gb
    Re: Fork seal replacement
    Reply #9 on: June 09, 2023, 11:59:38 am
    June 09, 2023, 11:59:38 am
    *Originally Posted by 1Jumper10 [+]
    Not the first time I've heard about Marks manual.  But I'm new here and don't know who Mark is or how to get his manual. Can I get a link?

    Hmm I wonder if the one an only advert on this page bang on in the top left corner might have anything to do with this mysterious manual...  :745: :745: :745: