Author Low down issues even after ECU tune? Is this normal?  (Read 1735 times)

• Offline AdamMathew   gb

• XR Member  ‐    25
    • Topic Author

Offline AdamMathew

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: S1000XR 2019
    Low down issues even after ECU tune? Is this normal?
    on: June 22, 2023, 08:53:54 am
    June 22, 2023, 08:53:54 am
    I’ve a full Akra system & K&N filter on my s1000xr 2019 Gen 1 & yesterday took it for an ECU tune.

It was running like crap on the way there which was to be expected, particularly low revs in traffic the bike was jumpy & jerky and needed a lot of clutch work. The idle was also pretty rough, the needle moves from 1000-1250 rpm in a heartbeat like pattern and is pretty audibly noticeable.

The tune was done and now the bike runs much smoother from 3k RPM upwards, but  anything below that I.e. in traffic is still jerky & jumpy, and the idle is still rough!

Below is the graph from the tune, it looks like the work has been done from around 2000 rpm and upwards so the idle & low down hasn’t been touched?

Is there anything I can do now to fix the low down area or do I have to deal with it? The tune was £450 so I’m a bit miffed that the bottom end hasn’t been fixed!

• Offline Antares   gb

• XR God  ‐    2020

Offline Antares

• XR God
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    Re: Low down issues even after ECU tune? Is this normal?
    Reply #1 on: June 22, 2023, 09:12:57 am
    June 22, 2023, 09:12:57 am
    *Originally Posted by AdamMathew [+]
    I’ve a full Akra system & K&N filter on my s1000xr 2019 Gen 1 & yesterday took it for an ECU tune.

It was running like crap on the way there which was to be expected, particularly low revs in traffic the bike was jumpy & jerky and needed a lot of clutch work. The idle was also pretty rough, the needle moves from 1000-1250 rpm in a heartbeat like pattern and is pretty audibly noticeable.

The tune was done and now the bike runs much smoother from 3k RPM upwards, but  anything below that I.e. in traffic is still jerky & jumpy, and the idle is still rough!

Below is the graph from the tune, it looks like the work has been done from around 2000 rpm and upwards so the idle & low down hasn’t been touched?

Is there anything I can do now to fix the low down area or do I have to deal with it? The tune was £450 so I’m a bit miffed that the bottom end hasn’t been fixed!

The idle always chops on these bikes, but it should be a steady chop, kinda like a big V8 with aggressive cams, after all that's what's happening here.

Might be worth going back the the tuner and questioning but I doubt there is much to be done that low down.

• Offline bazzer   gb

• XR God  ‐    1292

Offline bazzer

• XR God
    • Town: Waterlooville
    Reply #2 on: June 23, 2023, 08:51:06 am
    June 23, 2023, 08:51:06 am
    One dyno plot does not really tell you anything as that will be a wide open throttle power run. So part throttle at low revs is not shown there.

It should not be terrible though, I have Akra headers and a Arrow can and its fine, better than stock.

Mine was dynoed by Phil Crowe at Crowe Performance.

• Offline af1-windy   gb

• XR Master  ‐    701

Offline af1-windy

• XR Master
    • Bike: s1000xr
    • Town: Leeds
    Reply #3 on: June 23, 2023, 09:54:27 am
    June 23, 2023, 09:54:27 am
    Not 100% sure how to read these graphs but I can tell you, after a session with the guys at BSD Performance I was well pleased with the difference in how the bike rides..  :020:

2017 Gen1 Completely stock...

Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 09:55:02 am by af1-windy
    "When I’m riding my motorcycle, I’m glad to be alive. When I stop riding my motorcycle, I’m glad to be alive" Neil Peart.

• Offline Leo167   us

• XR Pro  ‐    143

Offline Leo167

• XR Pro
    • Bike: S1000R
    • Town: Central Jersey
    Reply #4 on: June 23, 2023, 02:10:32 pm
    June 23, 2023, 02:10:32 pm
    To the OP
    Sorry a little O/T Isn’t that dip in power usually in the 6K range, all graphs that I’ve seen whether tuned or not dips in the 6k range… wondering why yours is in the 4K range?
    But have to say it’s nicely flattened out at that 6K area
    Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 02:12:01 pm by Leo167

• Offline Winger   gb

• XR God  ‐    3730

Offline Winger

• XR God
    • Town: Birmingham
    Reply #5 on: June 23, 2023, 03:19:19 pm
    June 23, 2023, 03:19:19 pm
    I’ve posted plenty on here already over the years about the fuelling both about the XR and other bikes,re the Dynojet print out by the OP the two lines at the bottom are fuel and air they should be as flat as pos yours most certainly are are anything but hence why your fuelling is all over the place.

Oddly enough the old XR gets left at the back of the garage for a variety of reasons just lately but needed to try out a pair of these jeans that Dainese and Oxford are currently touting so the XR got wheeled out,the fuelling is still nothing short of perfect it’ll pull 6th from way under 3000 rev’s as clean as a whistle.

• XR Member  ‐    25
    • Topic Author

Offline AdamMathew

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: June 23, 2023, 04:46:46 pm
    June 23, 2023, 04:46:46 pm
    *Originally Posted by Winger [+]
    I’ve posted plenty on here already over the years about the fuelling both about the XR and other bikes,re the Dynojet print out by the OP the two lines at the bottom are fuel and air they should be as flat as pos yours most certainly are are anything but hence why your fuelling is all over the place.

Oddly enough the old XR gets left at the back of the garage for a variety of reasons just lately but needed to try out a pair of these jeans that Dainese and Oxford are currently touting so the XR got wheeled out,the fuelling is still nothing short of perfect it’ll pull 6th from way under 3000 rev’s as clean as a whistle.

So essentially the tuners have done a shoddy job with the bike?  :087:

Not entirely sure what I paid £450 for in that case but I’ll certainly be taking it back to them!

• Offline the bartender   ca

• XR Pro  ‐    203

Offline the bartender

• XR Pro
    • Town: Vancouver
    Reply #7 on: June 23, 2023, 05:54:59 pm
    June 23, 2023, 05:54:59 pm
    there is nothing in that dyno graph that would indicate a bad tune, especially on a narrowband bike.

• Offline Winger   gb

• XR God  ‐    3730

Offline Winger

• XR God
    • Town: Birmingham
    Reply #8 on: June 23, 2023, 06:04:54 pm
    June 23, 2023, 06:04:54 pm

• XR Member  ‐    25
    • Topic Author

Offline AdamMathew

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #9 on: June 23, 2023, 06:09:32 pm
    June 23, 2023, 06:09:32 pm
    *Originally Posted by the bartender [+]
    there is nothing in that dyno graph that would indicate a bad tune, especially on a narrowband bike.

I think the only thing I’m concerned about is the A/F on most other graphs like a previous person has mentioned the A/F should be flat & on mine it seems to be up and down quite a bit…

Is this not a big concern?