Author 2016 XR pre-load settings will not adjust  (Read 1547 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • Offline Delasangre   us

    • XR Member  ‐    42
    • **
    • Topic Author

    Offline Delasangre

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 42
    • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
    • Town: Oregon City
    • Country: us
    2016 XR pre-load settings will not adjust
    on: June 26, 2023, 02:49:13 am
    June 26, 2023, 02:49:13 am
    I tried to adjust my preload settings since I took all my luggage off for a bit, it changes to 2 helmets then to 1 helmet but it just sits there flashing, the shocks or ride height don't change, I hear no noises, and it won't go off the suspension screen. I click back to helmet plus luggage (the mode I am stuck in) and it accepts it instantly. I plugged in my GS911 and there was a code for position not reached but it didn't say much. I forgot to take a picture of it.

  • Offline Antares   gb

    • XR God  ‐    2020
    • *****
      #1

    Offline Antares

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 2020
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    • Country: gb
    Re: 2016 XR pre-load settings will not adjust
    Reply #1 on: June 26, 2023, 09:32:50 am
    June 26, 2023, 09:32:50 am
    *Originally Posted by Delasangre [+]
    I tried to adjust my preload settings since I took all my luggage off for a bit, it changes to 2 helmets then to 1 helmet but it just sits there flashing, the shocks or ride height don't change, I hear no noises, and it won't go off the suspension screen. I click back to helmet plus luggage (the mode I am stuck in) and it accepts it instantly. I plugged in my GS911 and there was a code for position not reached but it didn't say much. I forgot to take a picture of it.

    Bike running when you're doing  this? it has to be on an running otherwise it wont adjust.

  • Offline Delasangre   us

    • XR Member  ‐    42
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • #2

    Offline Delasangre

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 42
    • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
    • Town: Oregon City
    • Country: us
    Re: 2016 XR pre-load settings will not adjust
    Reply #2 on: June 26, 2023, 02:28:32 pm
    June 26, 2023, 02:28:32 pm
    *Originally Posted by Antares [+]
    Bike running when you're doing  this? it has to be on an running otherwise it wont adjust.
    Yes it was running, I've done this a fair few times since I've owned the bike  :015:

  • Offline Antares   gb

    • XR God  ‐    2020
    • *****
      #3

    Offline Antares

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 2020
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    • Country: gb
    Re: 2016 XR pre-load settings will not adjust
    Reply #3 on: June 26, 2023, 02:32:20 pm
    June 26, 2023, 02:32:20 pm
    *Originally Posted by Delasangre [+]
    Yes it was running, I've done this a fair few times since I've owned the bike  :015:

    Fair play, always worth checking though  :008:

    I'd start having a look around the sensor area but have head of a few bikes with stuck preloaders, not very common though. See if there is anything mechanical, try on the centrestand and see what it's doing is my suggestion.

  • Online smithy   au

    • XR God  ‐    2655
    • *****
      #4

    Online smithy

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 2655
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    • Country: au
    Re: 2016 XR pre-load settings will not adjust
    Reply #4 on: June 26, 2023, 08:14:45 pm
    June 26, 2023, 08:14:45 pm
    *Originally Posted by Antares [+]
    Fair play, always worth checking though  :008:

    I'd start having a look around the sensor area

    This..^^

    Check to make sure the little connector rod hasn't fallen off the sensor or swingarm...mine did this early on in my ownership, hasn't done it again since though. Worth a look as least.

    Smithy.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

  • Offline Delasangre   us

    • XR Member  ‐    42
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • #5

    Offline Delasangre

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 42
    • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
    • Town: Oregon City
    • Country: us
    Re: 2016 XR pre-load settings will not adjust
    Reply #5 on: June 26, 2023, 08:17:01 pm
    June 26, 2023, 08:17:01 pm
    *Originally Posted by smithy [+]
    This..^^

    Check to make sure the little connector rod hasn't fallen off the sensor or swingarm...mine did this early on in my ownership, hasn't done it again since though. Worth a look as least.

    Smithy.
    I checked that this morning and it seemed to be attached at both ends. I'll try to get a battery look later.

  • Online smithy   au

    • XR God  ‐    2655
    • *****
      #6

    Online smithy

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 2655
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    • Country: au
    Re: 2016 XR pre-load settings will not adjust
    Reply #6 on: June 26, 2023, 08:31:10 pm
    June 26, 2023, 08:31:10 pm
    *Originally Posted by Delasangre [+]
    I checked that this morning and it seemed to be attached at both ends. I'll try to get a battery look later.

    If it's still attached, maybe the sensor itself is not well....but you'd think it would throw up a fault code if that were the case. :084:

    Smithy.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

  • Offline Winger   gb

    • XR God  ‐    3730
    • *****
      #7

    Offline Winger

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 3730
    • Town: Birmingham
    • Country: gb
    Re: 2016 XR pre-load settings will not adjust
    Reply #7 on: June 26, 2023, 09:02:33 pm
    June 26, 2023, 09:02:33 pm
    Same as Smithy,discon the battery and start again with the 911, but given the slightest choice go lithium on the battery, in fairness just trying to work out how old my earliest one is ?,have 955 Tiger that I Supermoto’d with Dymags and Ohlins the lithium bat must be close to 10 years old and still going.

  • Offline Delasangre   us

    • XR Member  ‐    42
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • #8

    Offline Delasangre

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 42
    • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
    • Town: Oregon City
    • Country: us
    Re: 2016 XR pre-load settings will not adjust
    Reply #8 on: June 26, 2023, 10:05:20 pm
    June 26, 2023, 10:05:20 pm
    *Originally Posted by smithy [+]
    If it's still attached, maybe the sensor itself is not well....but you'd think it would throw up a fault code if that were the case. :084:

    Smithy.
    It does actually. No check engine light but the codes are stored.

    Fault Code Value 0x480B86
    Fault Code Description Rear ESA spring preload adjustment, position not reached

  • Offline Delasangre   us

    • XR Member  ‐    42
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • #9

    Offline Delasangre

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 42
    • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
    • Town: Oregon City
    • Country: us
    Re: 2016 XR pre-load settings will not adjust
    Reply #9 on: June 26, 2023, 10:06:38 pm
    June 26, 2023, 10:06:38 pm
    *Originally Posted by Winger [+]
    Same as Smithy,discon the battery and start again with the 911, but given the slightest choice go lithium on the battery, in fairness just trying to work out how old my earliest one is ?,have 955 Tiger that I Supermoto’d with Dymags and Ohlins the lithium bat must be close to 10 years old and still going.
    You're saying disconnect the battery and try again? I don't really understand the rest of your post or how its relevant? I have a new lithium battery. I already cleared the codes with GS-911 and they come right back.

     



    dysfunctional