Author Camshaft / rocker ticking noise (Yet another cam chain rattle issue)  (Read 841 times)

• Offline GatlingOr.   nl

• XR Member  ‐    17
    • Topic Author

Offline GatlingOr.

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Camshaft / rocker ticking noise (Yet another cam chain rattle issue)
    on: July 13, 2023, 06:07:15 pm
    July 13, 2023, 06:07:15 pm
    So last week my cam chain started rattling out of nowhere. Not just the startup, but throughout the entire RPM range. It's like a bucket with screws. It has run 26k km and is from 2015.

First thing I did was swap the black plug for the silver one. It gave absolutely 0,0 improvement. Since it only just happened a few days before, and the extra 6mm had no effect, my logic says the tensioner might have failed. Also because it's through the entire range.

I won't mind putting in the manual tensioner, but I can't seem to find what the spec is for when to replace the entire cam chain. Because if the chain is already out of spec in terms of mileage, the manual tensioner obviously won't help. Any info on that? I'd find 26k way too early to replace the entire chain, but who knows.

Also, is there a way to test the OEM tensioner?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Edit: I edited the title for search purposes, since it turned out to be the camshaft.
    Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 04:15:27 pm by GatlingOr.

• Offline smithy   au

• XR God  ‐    2606

Offline smithy

• XR God
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    Re: Yet another cam chain rattle issue
    Reply #1 on: July 13, 2023, 10:37:34 pm
    July 13, 2023, 10:37:34 pm
    *Originally Posted by GatlingOr. [+]
    So last week my cam chain started rattling out of nowhere. Not just the startup, but throughout the entire RPM range. It's like a bucket with screws. It has run 26k km and is from 2015.

First thing I did was swap the black plug for the silver one. It gave absolutely 0,0 improvement. Since it only just happened a few days before, and the extra 6mm had no effect, my logic says the tensioner might have failed. Also because it's through the entire range.

I won't mind putting in the manual tensioner, but I can't seem to find what the spec is for when to replace the entire cam chain. Because if the chain is already out of spec in terms of mileage, the manual tensioner obviously won't help. Any info on that? I'd find 26k way too early to replace the entire chain, but who knows.

Also, is there a way to test the OEM tensioner?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I'm afraid your issue will more likely be cam/rocker related, not cam chain/tensioner. The cam tensioner issue/rattle only lasts for a couple of seconds after start and goes away once the oil pressure comes up and never happens through the whole rpm range.

You'd be better advised to pop the rocker cover off and check the cams & rockers...or at least get it looked at before something fails completely killing an otherwise good engine

Smithy.

Last Edit: July 13, 2023, 10:41:26 pm by smithy
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

• XR Member  ‐    17
    • Topic Author

Offline GatlingOr.

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: July 15, 2023, 05:05:04 pm
    July 15, 2023, 05:05:04 pm
    *Originally Posted by smithy [+]
    I'm afraid your issue will more likely be cam/rocker related, not cam chain/tensioner. The cam tensioner issue/rattle only lasts for a couple of seconds after start and goes away once the oil pressure comes up and never happens through the whole rpm range.

You'd be better advised to pop the rocker cover off and check the cams & rockers...or at least get it looked at before something fails completely killing an otherwise good engine

Smithy.
    Yeah you might actually be right. I'll head over to my dealer tuesday and let you guys know.

• XR Member  ‐    17
    • Topic Author

Offline GatlingOr.

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: July 18, 2023, 11:32:54 am
    July 18, 2023, 11:32:54 am
    Dealer identified it as a possible camshaft rocker that's worn. They will replace all 16 of them, so it's gonna be an expensive one (supposedly €100 each w/o labour). This is unless they encounter another issue that's causing the rattle.

Took the bike home to see if it's still under warranty.

• Online Antares   gb

• XR God  ‐    1987

Online Antares

• XR God
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    Reply #4 on: July 18, 2023, 01:02:27 pm
    July 18, 2023, 01:02:27 pm
    Dealer identified it as a possible camshaft rocker that's worn. They will replace all 16 of them, so it's gonna be an expensive one (supposedly €100 each w/o labour). This is unless they encounter another issue that's causing the rattle.

Took the bike home to see if it's still under warranty.

Check if it's not the models for the recall with the issue, should be warranty work imho, at the very least send an appeal to BMW HQ

For 100 a pop x 16 I'd get a new engine...

• XR Member  ‐    17
    • Topic Author

Offline GatlingOr.

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: July 18, 2023, 03:17:29 pm
    July 18, 2023, 03:17:29 pm
    *Originally Posted by Antares [+]
    Check if it's not the models for the recall with the issue, should be warranty work imho, at the very least send an appeal to BMW HQ

For 100 a pop x 16 I'd get a new engine...
    Yeah it's gonna be quite the cost. Dealer talked about the need of replacing the overhead camshaft too.

I plan on contacting the dealer I bought it from, too have them contact BMW HQ. The bike has only 26.000KM (2016).

Gonna be a long haul, but I'll report back for those interested.

• Online Antares   gb

• XR God  ‐    1987

Online Antares

• XR God
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    Reply #6 on: July 18, 2023, 05:38:13 pm
    July 18, 2023, 05:38:13 pm
    Yeah it's gonna be quite the cost. Dealer talked about the need of replacing the overhead camshaft too.

I plan on contacting the dealer I bought it from, too have them contact BMW HQ. The bike has only 26.000KM (2016).

Gonna be a long haul, but I'll report back for those interested.

If it's a 2016 with 26k km that's definitely the well known rocker/cam failure
    100%...
    BMW should cover the full cost of that no questions asked, if you need to, search the forums, plenty of examples even from recent times to throw at them.

• Offline smithy   au

• XR God  ‐    2606

Offline smithy

• XR God
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    Reply #7 on: July 18, 2023, 08:28:41 pm
    July 18, 2023, 08:28:41 pm

They have "two" camshafts, inlet and exhaust....and 16 rocker arms, if the rockers are munted, the cams will be too. I'd do what Antares mentions and contact BMW directly as it's a "known" issue....not just XR's...happens to the Gen-1 R's and RR's too....they're essentially the same engine.

Smithy.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!