Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Scottoiler (vacuum type)  (Read 2235 times)

Offline PL2112

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Canterbury
Scottoiler (vacuum type)
« on: August 20, 2016, 07:49:50 PM »
I see a few people have fitted electronic Scottoilers, just wondering if anyone has fitted the vacuum type. If so how easy is it to find a port for the vacuum pipe connection?

Offline harryp

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1XRTE
Re: Scottoiler (vacuum type)
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 08:49:04 PM »
Last time I checked, about 6 months back, Scott were only recommending the Electronic version for the S1XR.

Offline Troppo

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 11:17:07 PM »
I've never owned one.  It seems to me that they are really not required these days with modern chains....

I just keep my chain clean, and lube it very sparingly... they last at least 25K (km).

Online Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 12:27:52 PM »
years back I had a vac Scottoiler on my ZRX1200s the chain did over 25K Miles, easy to install but a pain in the a55 to set up I needed four setting summer, winter UK, summer France\ Spain and OMG it's so cold the oils solid, that said it did do the job.

it's easy with the XR as it has a centre stand I just use a can of lube and then clean the wheel.
After over thirty years behind the bars, I’ve still not done it all or seen it all.

https://www.youtube.com/user/emmanuelgoldstein1

Offline Flashman

• XR Member
  • Bike: Fast White One
  • Town: Dyserth, N Wales
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2016, 01:58:23 PM »
I'm with Troppo on this one. Clean the chain every few hundred miles & lube. I have yet to see a Scottoiler that doesn't deposit oil on the rear tyre at some stage of its fitment.
Along with a disc lock, this is an accessory that should come with a health warning!

Offline PL2112

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 09:46:00 PM »
Cheers guys.
I had never had one before but I had one on my Multistrada, I must admit I always had reservations because it seemed feast or famine.
Was wondering whether to whip it off before it goes and stick it on the XR, don't think It'll bother though.

Offline PL2112

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 09:49:17 PM »
Forgot to say I'm well used to chain driven bikes.
In 40+ years of riding I've never had a shaft drive.

Offline vsteel

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Kuna, ID
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 05:36:40 AM »
About every other fill up of the fuel tank I come home after a nice ride and lube the chain.  I spray each side as I spin the rear wheel.  I spin it for a minute so I can make sure the lube is well distributed.  I let the warm chain cool with the lube on it overnight.  The idea is that if it can it will suck the lube deep into the links.  In the morning I take a small shop towel and wipe the excess off of the chain so it won't fling it.   The last chain I did this too I am not sure how long it will last because I sold the bike with the original chain.  36K miles ~ 58K km