Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: nav v help ?  (Read 3418 times)

Offline johnnienofish

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: MANCHESTER
nav v help ?
« on: August 21, 2016, 08:18:32 PM »
hi all, up dated maps on my nav v using garmin express, in my nav was a 8g sd card containing some music, now my nav is reading memory 99% full, i would have thought the new maps would have either gone onto the sd card or over written the existing map already on the nav  :087: I'm a little lost with all this - computors and electronic wizardry make my head spin- anyone help - what can i do ? can i move the maps to the sd card ?  :087: anyone know what there doing -help
proper preparation prevents piss poor performance

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
Re: nav v help ?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2016, 08:42:46 PM »
mmm, could be number of issues Johnny, it may default to the sd card if that's where you inadvertently directed updates to go, i'm sure ive had this issue before on a car sat nav.
For me, take out the sd card, put the V into reset mode then update the maps as you've done before you put back in the re formatted sd card ( clean, nothing on it )
I assume you want the maps on the V rather than sd card ?
Ive borrowed my mates, friggin brill, dead easy to pick n drop a route which ive always had trouble with on the tomtom with 'tyre' web program, I will without doubt be buying one when I can afford it  :037:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 08:45:20 PM by Gatsoburner »
Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.

Offline johnnienofish

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2016, 08:50:54 PM »
cheers rob, - no maps have gone on to the sd card all gone onto the nav memory and filled it up  :230:will try taking the card out reset the nav and reload the map- trouble is it took 4 hrs to down load the update last time,  :230:

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 10:30:18 PM »
Thinking aloud it'll update all its maps which includes all the countries abroad, that'll take a long time to do for sure.
How come your updating the maps, I used my mates last week and was spot on with all the roads I ride.
Seeing whats happened to you i'll be leaving it unless i'm off abroad.

Have you rode with the just the factory reset maps ?, is it not worth leaving it for now and see how you go ?, I banged 5 routes i'd made into the V memory and its spot on.
Therapy...

Offline johnnienofish

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2016, 10:37:59 PM »
When I connected it to computer the other day it said there was map updates so I went for it  :187:

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2016, 11:03:00 PM »
Yer fair enough, i'd have done the same too.  :157:
Ive just had a read of the pdf manual, utter shite really, tells one sweet fack orll !!

The 5 routes I put in, run to devils / run to betws y coed / run to matlock and 2 others, all via back roads. Its pretty rare that there will be any new roads built that'll impact on my routes, bleeding horse and cart trotted them I suspect way before I was born !

Great nav though init, wheel play ok but not sure id use it much, the biggie for me is it'll go down the roads I pick which zig zag to the final destination. I've a load of routes on a A TO Z which is a book we use to get from...., i'm not sure if your familiar ??   :008:
Therapy...

Offline skapan

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000
  • Town: Toronto
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 01:14:31 AM »
I've never had mine play nice when the sd card was in. Always take it out to update. Even load routes into the card directly from the computer, then put the card in the Garmin. Less screwups, for me anyway.

Offline mahseve33

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Cheshire
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 05:51:21 AM »
*Originally Posted by skapan [+]
I've never had mine play nice when the sd card was in. Always take it out to update. Even load routes into the card directly from the computer, then put the card in the Garmin. Less screwups, for me anyway.
I did the same.
With the new updates its takes you by some bizarre, illogical routes. Had the same with my BMW car.

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2016, 03:05:38 PM »
Jeez, this just makes me more certain not to update the maps. never been a lover of garmin and preferred tomtom however even that does behave as it should.
For plug n play the XR Nav V has been the best for me for a long while.
Therapy...

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 03:39:15 PM »
The internal memory ob NAV 5 is piss poor and new maps do not overwrite the old ones so you end up with loads IIRC
If you plug it in to your pc or mac and do the file explorer thing and get into the units memory you can delete the GPSROM (I think thats what they are called) and then re load the maps which will free up some memory.
You tell me how fast I was going Officer !