Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New in San Diego  (Read 2204 times)

Offline LDrider 191

• XR Member
  • No matter where you go....... There you are
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: San Diego
New in San Diego
« on: August 23, 2016, 12:33:05 AM »
Long time rider - new to XR.  I've had mine going on 3 weeks - about 1,400 miles and smiling all the way.  Been riding for 40+ years starting in the dirt and eventually to street.  I'm certain I couldn't list all the bikes I've had, but British, Deutsche, Japanese, American, Austrian, etc.  Swore off BMW's after the 3rd final drive on my K12LT, but wife still rides a GS.  Loving this bike - hating the seat and hating the lack of fuel.  Who wants to stop after less than 200 miles? 
I come from the endurance rally riding school so spending time in the saddle is what I do.  I wont win a race with anyone - unless it is a thousand miles or so.  Loving the bike - and hoping my BMW mechanical dependability is better than my last Beemer. 
Love riding here in San Diego - and this bike makes even me look fast.

Offline PL2112

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Canterbury
Re: New in San Diego
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 02:06:13 PM »
Hi LD Rider  :400:
I’ve been riding 40+ years too and I'm very envious of your riding location!  No wonder you’ve put on so many miles in only a few weeks.
Back in 2003 / 2004 I spent a couple of years living in Coronado while I was on a work secondment and bought myself a Triumph Daytona 955 Centennial Edition.
It’s motorcycling paradise!
My regular Sunday loop was out through Otay Lakes, Lyons Valley, Japatul Valley, briefly on I-8 to pick up Sunrise Highway to Mt. Laguna.  Sunrise Highway is still one of my all-time favourite roads I’ve ridden anywhere in the world, I love those big fast sweepers!
Then we’d loop round to Julian, Santa Ysabel out through Mesa Grande then past Lake Henshaw up the slow side to Mt. Palomar and back down the fast side, then back to Santa Ysabel for lunch.  Home via Ramona and El Cajon.
I keep promising myself that I shall ride those roads again one day before it’s too late and I bet the XR would be a great tool to do it on.

Can’t agree with you about not wanting to get off after less than 200 miles though, my arse (or butt as I believe you chaps call it) cries enough well before then  :148:.  About 150 miles is fine for me.

Offline LDrider 191

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 06:23:39 PM »
Did many of those roads this Saturday and most of the rest on Sunday.  Actually found a new one - tucked away near Lake Cuyamaca that is totally awesome - very tight and twisty with lots of elevation changes - in the trees and about 1 1/2 lane wide.  That is my favorite kind.  Personally, I'm not crazy about fast sweepers.  I would rather ride Mesa Grande road or Wynola Rd. by Julian (too short) or Highland Valley road as they are tight and technical.  Much slower, but to me..... way more fun.  Glad you were able to enjoy the area and it left fond memories.  I have the same about the Alps.  Heading for New Zealand in November and should have a couple of good memories come out of that trip.

Offline PL2112

• XR Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 09:14:55 AM »
Don't get me wrong I loved Mesa grande too but I prefer the places where you can really get on the gas and stay cranked over for a loooong time.  In the same way I preferred the fast side of Palomar to the slow side although some of the drop offs near the top were a bit  :114:.
You'll love NZ too, my sister lives there and I've visited a couple of times, awesome place.  The best roads are in the far north of the North Island or most of the South Island.  One major drawback though - a 100 kph (62.5 mph speed limit and boy do they enforce it!

Offline LDrider 191

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 05:52:48 PM »
Will be riding two-up on a rented RT, so this will be a flower sniffing and photographic trip rather than testing lean angles.  Plus -- I need to keep it on the correct side of the road !   :087:

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 06:23:39 PM »
We must have been looking in the wrong place!!,we were summoned to Carlsbad 2 years back for our friends sons wedding which was in La Jolla we absolutely loved the area the weather in January blew our socks off,boys night out was Anaheim SuperCross and we had a wonderful time but the roads Jeeze!!! The one lake Elsinore and going up Palomare mountain would have been good without the double yellow lines and the local Sheriff parked up but we were not impressed.

When we got home first question was about biking and the roads and as I said it'll be a convertible Mustang instead of a hard top next time. :002: we've got you beat hands down for roads just a shame about our weather!!!!

Offline PL2112

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 08:49:56 PM »
Winger said:
We must have been looking in the wrong place!!
Sorry but you definitely must if you think our roads are better  :110:
Crowded and crap surfaces.

It was probably the best couple of years I have had on bikes in 40+ years of riding.  I found the lanes are wide enough that even if there were double yellows often the cars would pull over to the right and let you pass.  Apart from the fact there are far fewer anyway.
Plus you can ride year round apart from a few days when it's too hot.
I got one pull in 2 years (probably from the same sheriff you saw LOL) put on my best English accent and got away with a rollocking.

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 09:39:39 PM »
We had a great time but Jeeze I never saw anything that came even close to my midweek run to Crossgates cafe in Wales with great roads and no traffic even if our weather is crap :002:

Offline LDrider 191

• XR Member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 06:27:21 PM »
definitely looking in the wrong places.  I can put you on 1 awesome and empty road withing 10 miles of my house.  Another withing 30 that is totally amazing (and getting to that road isn't bad either if you like long and fast sweepers) and several others that are awful good with more traffic.  And within 50 miles a TON of great roads with and without cages on the road. 

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 07:51:43 PM »
I guess it's all relative but 50 miles I resent having to ride 3 to the good stuff and that's on a 180 mile round trip,well 6 actually cuz there's 3 on the way back as well.

Reminds me when asking about the difference between Q3's and RoadSmarts the Dunlop guy said we have roundabouts in Europe not intersections

And yes I do realise there's a mileage thing going on here a bike in the UK with 50,000 miles on the clock is boardering worthless.

dysfunctional