Author Xr valve clearances  (Read 2391 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • Offline davidallard21   gb

    • XR Member  ‐    17
    • **
    • Topic Author

    Offline davidallard21

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 17
    • David
    • Bike: Bmw s1000xr
    • Town: Lincoln
    • Country: gb
    Xr valve clearances
    on: August 28, 2023, 05:47:52 pm
    August 28, 2023, 05:47:52 pm
    Anyone willing to help me check my valve clearances and change spark plugs. Some payment possible but I want to do it myself but I need help from someone who knows how to do this
    David

  • Offline Antares   gb

    • XR God  ‐    2020
    • *****
      #1

    Offline Antares

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 2020
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    • Country: gb
    Re: Xr valve clearances
    Reply #1 on: August 28, 2023, 07:58:35 pm
    August 28, 2023, 07:58:35 pm
    *Originally Posted by davidallard21 [+]
    Anyone willing to help me check my valve clearances and change spark plugs. Some payment possible but I want to do it myself but I need help from someone who knows how to do this

    Specifically for valves I'd get mark's service manual available in the top left of the forum page, it's excellent into going into details and the nuances of the job, such as the throttle body clamps etc.

  • Online smithy   au

    • XR God  ‐    2654
    • *****
      #2

    Online smithy

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 2654
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    • Country: au
    Re: Xr valve clearances
    Reply #2 on: August 28, 2023, 07:59:08 pm
    August 28, 2023, 07:59:08 pm
    *Originally Posted by davidallard21 [+]
    Anyone willing to help me check my valve clearances and change spark plugs. Some payment possible but I want to do it myself but I need help from someone who knows how to do this

    Gen-1 or Gen-2..?? You don't say which you have. The engines are totally different.

    Smithy.
    Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 08:04:12 pm by smithy
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

  • Offline Antares   gb

    • XR God  ‐    2020
    • *****
      #3

    Offline Antares

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 2020
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    • Country: gb
    Re: Xr valve clearances
    Reply #3 on: August 28, 2023, 08:08:50 pm
    August 28, 2023, 08:08:50 pm
    *Originally Posted by smithy [+]
    Gen-1 or Gen-2..?? You don't say which you have. The engines are totally different.

    Smithy.

    I always forget to ask this, I automatically assume most people don't put enough miles on their bikes for it to be a gen 2 yet  :745:

  • Offline davidallard21   gb

    • XR Member  ‐    17
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • #4

    Offline davidallard21

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 17
    • David
    • Bike: Bmw s1000xr
    • Town: Lincoln
    • Country: gb
    Re: Xr valve clearances
    Reply #4 on: August 28, 2023, 10:13:23 pm
    August 28, 2023, 10:13:23 pm
    I have a 2015 bike, I think it’s a gen1. I’ve got marks manual, wouldn’t attempt on my own
    David

  • Offline Antares   gb

    • XR God  ‐    2020
    • *****
      #5

    Offline Antares

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 2020
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    • Country: gb
    Re: Xr valve clearances
    Reply #5 on: August 28, 2023, 10:28:37 pm
    August 28, 2023, 10:28:37 pm
    *Originally Posted by davidallard21 [+]
    I have a 2015 bike, I think it’s a gen1. I’ve got marks manual, wouldn’t attempt on my own

    It's really not that hard, there is not much to go wrong just a few key bits to keep an eye out for which you wanna be ready for. The biggest job in the valve clearances is stripping the fairings off, then there are only one or 2 finicky parts like the aforementioned throttle body clamps, actually checking the clearances is a piece of cake, just remove parts out of the way, then back the other way, No real special tools required, only thing remotely special you might need is if you actually need to adjust your clearances, which is hugely unlikely on these machines, they barely ever seem to be out of spec, especially not at first valve service. So if you do need to by some miracle ofc you'll need a micrometer to measure shims, female torx for some of the bolts inside the head and a 5.5mm drill bit's shank or some other bar that has a similar diameter to tightly lock the crank. Rest is standard tools and torx bits. I'm wary of offering my assistance because it's been a while since i've done mine but if you need advice on the steps, I'll recall what I know as best as I can.
    Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 10:29:51 pm by Antares

  • Online smithy   au

    • XR God  ‐    2654
    • *****
      #6

    Online smithy

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 2654
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    • Country: au
    Re: Xr valve clearances
    Reply #6 on: August 29, 2023, 04:37:15 am
    August 29, 2023, 04:37:15 am
    *Originally Posted by Antares [+]
    It's really not that hard, there is not much to go wrong just a few key bits to keep an eye out for which you wanna be ready for. The biggest job in the valve clearances is stripping the fairings off, then there are only one or 2 finicky parts like the aforementioned throttle body clamps, actually checking the clearances is a piece of cake, just remove parts out of the way, then back the other way, No real special tools required, only thing remotely special you might need is if you actually need to adjust your clearances, which is hugely unlikely on these machines, they barely ever seem to be out of spec, especially not at first valve service. So if you do need to by some miracle ofc you'll need a micrometer to measure shims, female torx for some of the bolts inside the head and a 5.5mm drill bit's shank or some other bar that has a similar diameter to tightly lock the crank. Rest is standard tools and torx bits. I'm wary of offering my assistance because it's been a while since i've done mine but if you need advice on the steps, I'll recall what I know as best as I can.

    What he said:  :0461:

    It's not that difficult, just time consuming...I allowed myself two days but could easily have done it in one day if I had to.

    Smithy.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

  • Offline fozz   england

    • XR Pro  ‐    129
    • ***
      #7

    Offline fozz

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 129
    • Bike: s1000 xr se
    • Town: Somerset
    • Country: england
    Re: Xr valve clearances
    Reply #7 on: October 10, 2023, 07:32:56 am
    October 10, 2023, 07:32:56 am
    Just had my 18k service by an independent, plus new rear, and new chain and sprockets, goodbye £1150.00.
    So do it yourself if you can,i just don't have the time.

     



    dysfunctional