Author Keep or sell? Ride or drive?  (Read 556 times)

• Online Wildhaus   gb

• XR Member  ‐    64
    • Topic Author

Online Wildhaus

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Keep or sell? Ride or drive?
    on: September 14, 2023, 07:13:30 pm
    September 14, 2023, 07:13:30 pm
    As well as my new XR that I have owned since 1st July and already put nearly 5,000 miles on, I have owned a 1998 Honda Hornet CB600F since taking delivery new on 1st August 1998 and putting 45,000 miles on it.  This bike has been woven in to the fabric of my life for a quarter of a century and has great sentimental value - as well as probably being amongst the very best such Hornets on the road.  It is immaculate, the styling is timeless (rather than contrived like later Hornets) and it remains a totally reliable blast to ride.

The fly in the ointment is that since 1st July and the arrival of my XR, it remains unridden and with a trickle charger keeping it alive; a brutal truth is that the XR has replaced it (on steroids) for every use case that the Hornet has, and for the few that it doesn't, I have a Triumph Thruxton 1200 R.

I therefore propose to sell the Hornet as motorcycles need to be ridden.

Now we need to consider that I have a son who turns 17 next month, has already ridden pillion with me nearly everywhere since aged 8, has a maturity and road awareness way beyond his tender years, and who has asked me to keep the Hornet for him.  His argument is that it fits just inside the UK's class A2 licence regulations and so can be his first big bike (in restricted form) aged 19 if he obtains his motorcycle licence in the year ahead.   All sound - and I look forward to riding in tandem with him on another bike as much as I already enjoy his company pillion - including, twice, to the Czech Republic and back.

The final consideration is that my parents encouraged me to drive at their expense aged 17, as they freely admitted years later to keep me off two wheels as a teenager.  I passed my car test at 17 and my bike test at 34 (and am now 59).

So, keep the Hornet on trickle charger and used occasionally for the next couple of years (by when it will be 27 years old) and trust my son to stay alive on two wheels, or sell now in superb condition and with absolute reliability, encourage my son to drive in a cage for now, and buy him another bike when well in to his twenties?

[Edited for three typos]
    Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 07:16:07 pm by Wildhaus

• Offline RyanGTXR   gb

• XR Pro  ‐    481

Offline RyanGTXR

• XR Pro
    • Bike: KTM 1290 GT
    • Town: Notts
    Re: Keep or sell? Ride or drive?
    Reply #1 on: September 14, 2023, 07:36:22 pm
    September 14, 2023, 07:36:22 pm
    Keep it, let son ride asap, it'll make him a better car driver and he'll enjoy the bike more than a car. And if you are riding with him regularly he should learn from you too.
    I've been on road bikes since I was 17, didn't get car license until 26 and first 4 wheels about 32. I survived. Somehow :D
    Might even be cheaper insurance if it gets classic status

• Online wessie   gb

• XR Master  ‐    725

Online wessie

• XR Master
    • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
    • Town: Cheltenham
    Reply #2 on: September 14, 2023, 08:05:37 pm
    September 14, 2023, 08:05:37 pm
    let your son decide for himself based on his needs and circumstances when 19. A factor will be the cost of insurance but he might be in student accommodation where owning a vehicle is an unnecessary expense. Many in his generation don't bother with personal transport.

• Offline Winger   gb

• XR God  ‐    3685

Offline Winger

• XR God
    • Town: Birmingham
    Reply #3 on: September 15, 2023, 07:54:04 am
    September 15, 2023, 07:54:04 am
    *Originally Posted by RyanGTXR [+]
    Keep it, let son ride asap, it'll make him a better car driver and he'll enjoy the bike more than a car. And if you are riding with him regularly he should learn from you too.
    I've been on road bikes since I was 17, didn't get car license until 26 and first 4 wheels about 32. I survived. Somehow :D
    Might even be cheaper insurance if it gets classic status

+1 as in been there done that.

• Online bobdave   gb

• XR Pro  ‐    307

Online bobdave

• XR Pro
    • Bike: BMW S100XR
    • Town: Bournemouth
    Reply #4 on: September 15, 2023, 08:57:02 am
    September 15, 2023, 08:57:02 am
    I have also been riding since I was 17 and used the bike as my primary transport most of the time despite having a car licence because I just enjoy riding bikes. My son decided that he wanted to get his bike licence at 21 and was lucky enough to do the Direct Access scheme just before the laws changed so could ride any capacity bike as he had just turned 21. My wife was totally against him having a bike but I knew what joy I get from riding so supported him in his decision. He now has had a bike as his primary transport for about 10 years (despite having a car licence and access to his girlfriends car), starting on a 650 bandit which was old and ratty but great for 'improving' on as a few scrapes didn't make any difference to the value it. He now rides a 1050 Triumph speed triple. It's a real joy to go out for a ride with him. He rides well although sometimes it's a bit scary seeing him ride at speed that I wouldn't worry about if it was anyone else (it's the thought of what do I tell the wife if something did go wrong !).
    I would say keep the Hornet as it's value won't be great at the age and mileage it has and let your son enjoy it when he has passed his test.

• Online Wildhaus   gb

• XR Member  ‐    64
    • Topic Author

Online Wildhaus

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #5 on: September 15, 2023, 09:31:46 am
    September 15, 2023, 09:31:46 am
    Many thanks to you Each.  You confirm what I already know in my heart in that it is worth £1,500 tops, makes the square root of zero difference to my multi-bike insurance policy, and costs little to MOT and ride the very few miles it now does  - but I can't stand to see the bike that has become part of me just sitting under a dust cover at my parent's home (yes, the insurer knows of the location) and risking mechanical or electrical gremlins, and I do worry about my son coming a cropper.

To counter this, I am long of the opinion that everyone able-bodied should have a bike licence and ride for a year before they are allowed to drive anything, but then it's not my son (who wants to ride) or daughter (who does not) that  I am talking about.  Hypocritical, in other words.  :002:

Decision made.  I will stop being hypocritical, keep the Hornet and be the best father I can be to trust my son on one hand and continue to equip him to ride safely (and drive safely) on the other.   Now to decide what to buy for his A1 licence, first, as I want him to get experience before A2 (and another practical test, on the Hornet) from age 19.

Dialogue above much appreciated.
    Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 09:46:17 am by Wildhaus

• Offline Antares   gb

• XR God  ‐    1878

Offline Antares

• XR God
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    Reply #6 on: September 15, 2023, 09:34:44 am
    September 15, 2023, 09:34:44 am
    Re the hornet for A2, you can get restrictor kits and with the apparent incoming change in laws when he turns 21 he should have a much simple time upgrading to full A than I did. I still have my 2011 ER6F in the garage too, thing being worth less than £2000, better to keep it as a spare or for a rainy day (figuratively speaking)...

• Online Wildhaus   gb

• XR Member  ‐    64
    • Topic Author

Online Wildhaus

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #7 on: September 15, 2023, 09:37:03 am
    September 15, 2023, 09:37:03 am
    Here's what he will have in a couple of years.

And at a pit stop during our ride to the Czech Republic and back, last year.

• Offline Antares   gb

• XR God  ‐    1878

Offline Antares

• XR God
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    Reply #8 on: September 15, 2023, 09:39:21 am
    September 15, 2023, 09:39:21 am
    *Originally Posted by Wildhaus [+]
    Here's what he will have in a couple of years.

And at a pit stop during our ride to the Czech Republic and back, last year.

Wow that IS immaculate. Nice bike!

• Online Wildhaus   gb

• XR Member  ‐    64
    • Topic Author

Online Wildhaus

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #9 on: September 15, 2023, 09:41:03 am
    September 15, 2023, 09:41:03 am
    *Originally Posted by Antares [+]
    Re the hornet for A2, you can get restrictor kits and with the apparent incoming change in laws when he turns 21 he should have a much simple time upgrading to full A than I did. I still have my 2011 ER6F in the garage too, thing being worth less than £2000, better to keep it as a spare or for a rainy day (figuratively speaking)...

Thanks Antares.  The options for restrictor kits have been bookmarked for the past couple of years - so before my wobble in thinking of selling!  He will need a restrictor kit (and retake the practical test) to ride A2 at 19.  No more direct access like I did.  A day on a CG125, four days on a GS500, and then let loose on my Hornet 600.

dysfunctional