• Topic Author

Offline AdamMathew

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: S1000XR 2019
    Oil leak
    on: October 08, 2023, 11:09:51 am
    October 08, 2023, 11:09:51 am
    Smell of burning oil on start up this morning, got on the floor and there’s oil leaking from these two points and dropping onto the exhaust

Just wanting to get a feel of how screwed my wallet is!

• Offline Winger   gb

• XR God  ‐    3730

Offline Winger

• XR God
    • Town: Birmingham
    Re: Oil leak
    Reply #1 on: October 08, 2023, 07:59:05 pm
    October 08, 2023, 07:59:05 pm
    Not seen that before but a first time for everything,with the debacle that BMW suffered last weekend their reliability kudos is certainly is suffering,what I would check from official sources ? are the bolts one time only ? ,a steep learning curve I ended up on when my K1200r eat its gearbox when I introduced a QS to it.

• Online capt cf   us

• XR Pro  ‐    394

Online capt cf

• XR Pro
    • Bike: 18 & 21 S1000XR
    Reply #2 on: October 08, 2023, 08:27:14 pm
    October 08, 2023, 08:27:14 pm
    I am chasing a very minor one around that same area on my gen 1 at the moment.  I haven't been able to locate the source, but the main symptom is a drip collecting at the drain plug every now and then.  Sometimes they can be a bear to locate.  After failing to find it after several tries I bit the bullet and removed the lower cowl and cleaned the heck out of everything down there.  I also popped off the sprocket cover and cleaned out all the flung off chain lube.  I cleaned the sump area and all the areas of the motor I could reach really well including the sight glass area and around the front sprocket with the cover removed.  Then I sprayed everything with a can of foot powder and let that dry so now the whole bottom of the motor is white(ish).  Surely I'll find it now.  Rode about 170 miles this morning over about 3.5 hours and nothing.  Guess I'll try again next weekend..  :001: 
    Last Edit: October 08, 2023, 08:27:45 pm by capt cf
    You can't teach pigs to sing - it only frustrates you and annoys the pig.

• Offline smithy   au

• XR God  ‐    2654

Offline smithy

• XR God
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    Reply #3 on: October 08, 2023, 08:41:58 pm
    October 08, 2023, 08:41:58 pm
    *Originally Posted by AdamMathew [+]
    Smell of burning oil on start up this morning, got on the floor and there’s oil leaking from these two points and dropping onto the exhaust

Just wanting to get a feel of how screwed my wallet is!

Looks like it "may" be coming from higher up and possibly dribbling down..??....Clean it off and keep and eye on the possible source before condemning the sump sealer. If it is coming from the sump bolt threads, it's a sump off job to sort....which means exhaust off too.

It's a DIY job if you're handy with basic tools and don't fancy paying through the nose for someone else to screw it up for you.

Smithy.
    Last Edit: October 08, 2023, 08:43:45 pm by smithy
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

• Offline Garbo   au

• XR Member  ‐    86

Offline Garbo

• XR Member
    • Bike: S1kxr,
    • Town: Killingworth
    Reply #4 on: October 09, 2023, 06:10:45 am
    October 09, 2023, 06:10:45 am
    I have a very similar leak from a bolt on my gen 1 sump. Only a drip after several days sitting idle. I have been getting some oil and filter ready to remove sump and clean and apply rtv sealant. Not sure if I’m going to replace all 13 bolts. Luckily shouldn’t be a big issue removing exhaust as I have Akra headers. Not in a hurry as still 2k from my next oil change. Cheers. Mark

• Offline AdamMathew   gb

• XR Member  ‐    25
    • Topic Author

Offline AdamMathew

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: S1000XR 2019
    Reply #5 on: October 09, 2023, 01:00:24 pm
    October 09, 2023, 01:00:24 pm
    So I cleaned & dried everything up yesterday and I've just checked back today and it is indeed the sump seal.

If anyone is interested it's specifically the highlighted seal line, a small amount of fresh oil sat along the crease so seems a slow leak dribbling down onto the screws.

Annoyingly had the headers off only a few weeks ago  :138: best get some sealant & new screws ordered and set aside some time for the job.

Never a dull day!