Author Outdoor cover for the XR  (Read 3444 times)

• Offline s1000xr-guy   gb

• XR Member  ‐    18
    • Topic Author

Offline s1000xr-guy

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Outdoor cover for the XR
    on: October 20, 2023, 11:06:22 am
    October 20, 2023, 11:06:22 am
    Can anyone recommend an outdoor cover large enough to cover the XR with the top box (no panniers)?

After some brief research the best I have found is the R&G Adventure Motorcycle Cover.

The cover I'm using only just comes down as far as the footpegs and the discs are starting to get rusty!

Thanks in advance.

• Online Mareng1   gb

• XR God  ‐    1828

Online Mareng1

• XR God
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Town: Cumbria
    Re: Outdoor cover for the XR
    Reply #1 on: October 20, 2023, 11:24:11 am
    October 20, 2023, 11:24:11 am
    Not many (if any) covers which have basically the same height at back as the front, but I think you are still going to get corroded discs even if covered, as the air will still be moisture-laden.

• Offline Antares   gb

• XR God  ‐    2020

Offline Antares

• XR God
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    Reply #2 on: October 20, 2023, 11:53:48 am
    October 20, 2023, 11:53:48 am
    *Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]
    Not many (if any) covers which have basically the same height at back as the front, but I think you are still going to get corroded discs even if covered, as the air will still be moisture-laden.

This is unfortunately true, the only cover that can cover it all though is the Oxford Stormex XL and I think there is a XL + top box option maybe? Can't find it anymore but distinctly remember that being an option. The XR holds up really well to the winter though but obviously try and take care of it, a little disc corrosion is not a big deal but I'd do as much as i can for corrosion protection wherever I can

• Offline wessie   gb

• XR Master  ‐    765

Offline wessie

• XR Master
    • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
    • Town: Cheltenham
    Reply #3 on: October 20, 2023, 02:22:48 pm
    October 20, 2023, 02:22:48 pm
    I'm using the standard XL version of this https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/101233 on my R1200RS with topbox.

They do a larger size "XL + topbox" which should suit the taller XR better.

I've gone from a home with a garage to parking on a drive. The cover is staying on the bike in the current storm. I like that it has a strap under the centre of the bike plus reinforced holes at the front so you can pass a chain/disc lock through it. This gives an extra securing point for the cover and means your lock can be visible to potential criminals.

• Offline RyanGTXR   gb

• XR Master  ‐    509

Offline RyanGTXR

• XR Master
    • Bike: KTM 1290 GT
    • Town: Notts
    Reply #4 on: October 20, 2023, 06:17:27 pm
    October 20, 2023, 06:17:27 pm
    I have he R&G Adv one, wouldn't recommend if I'm honest but aside from that, it's designed to fit with panniers, NOT topbox

• Offline plidd   gb

• XR Junior  ‐    10

Offline plidd

• XR Junior
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Town: SEAFORD
    Reply #5 on: October 23, 2023, 07:33:41 pm
    October 23, 2023, 07:33:41 pm
    I have used an Oxford XL cover on my XR with panniers for 3 outdoor years, never a problem.

• Offline s1000xr-guy   gb

• XR Member  ‐    18
    • Topic Author

Offline s1000xr-guy

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: October 23, 2023, 10:07:08 pm
    October 23, 2023, 10:07:08 pm
    Thanks all for your replies, they've been helpful.

I think for now I will just stick with the cover I have. It looks very much like a bike top cover, perhaps somewhere in between a top cover and a correctly sized cover. It's keeping the main parts of the bike dry while still allowing air to move around the bottom, and I suppose importantly not sealing in the wet ground underneath the bike.

RE the Oxford covers, they look like a solid option, but I'm quite picky and generally hate branding. The Oxford covers all make me cringe in the way that they turn your bike into a roadside advertisement!

• Offline RyanGTXR   gb

• XR Master  ‐    509

Offline RyanGTXR

• XR Master
    • Bike: KTM 1290 GT
    • Town: Notts
    Reply #7 on: October 24, 2023, 09:15:49 am
    October 24, 2023, 09:15:49 am
    *Originally Posted by s1000xr-guy [+]
    Thanks all for your replies, they've been helpful.

I think for now I will just stick with the cover I have. It looks very much like a bike top cover, perhaps somewhere in between a top cover and a correctly sized cover. It's keeping the main parts of the bike dry while still allowing air to move around the bottom, and I suppose importantly not sealing in the wet ground underneath the bike.

RE the Oxford covers, they look like a solid option, but I'm quite picky and generally hate branding. The Oxford covers all make me cringe in the way that they turn your bike into a roadside advertisement!

All I say is be carful with an ill fitting cover, worked at a place many years ago where 2 of us commuted on bikes, I had ZX9r with nice fitting cover, other bloke TDM with cover which was too small and only covered top as you describe yours, in high winds one day his "top half cover" acted like a sail and caught all the wind. His bike was on it's side. Mine was fine parked behind it.

• Offline wessie   gb

• XR Master  ‐    765

Offline wessie

• XR Master
    • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
    • Town: Cheltenham
    Reply #8 on: October 24, 2023, 09:24:33 am
    October 24, 2023, 09:24:33 am
    M&P used to sell an unbranded cover similar to this but half the price. They only have highly branded covers now with their own Tech7 branding.
    https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/334465

I used one on a R1150GS when I lived near Ross on Wye. It was a decent cover but only had one strap so needed the assistance of a couple of bungee cords either end to cope with winds.

dysfunctional