Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Non published dynamic mode changes  (Read 1737 times)

Offline vsteel

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Kuna, ID
Non published dynamic mode changes
« on: August 30, 2016, 06:09:45 PM »
I have seen the charts about what dynamic mode does but I am still curious on what isn't published.  When I am in dynamic mode I notice the following.

1.  Throttle response has changed.  From my limited experimenting it is just how the throttle is mapped.  I believe in dynamic mode it is a linear ratio.  IE move the throttle grip through 25% of its range and you are at 25% throttle.  In road mode the first 2/3s - 3/4 of the twist of the grip gives the first 50% of the throttle and the last half is in the last part of the twist of the grip. (Or some other non linear curve)  I say this because I know it is done on different bikes to desensitize the throttle response in the cruising range so a bike is easier to ride.  The idea being people using the road mode are going to be cruising or just quickly opening the throttle to 100% and not trying to feather it out of a corner.  It also seems to me that the position for the same speed is different between the modes.  I would love for someone to confirm this.

2.  The exhaust sounds different.  There is snapping and popping when I decelerate.  I do not know if there is a slight change in the fuel mapping for performance or if it is a cosmetic thing to let people think the bike sounds cooler.  It also seems like the bike is louder.  I don't know if the exhaust valve opens earlier or stays cracked open or if something else has changed.   I would love for someone to explain this or give me more information.   I have done a lot of searching but I have not found out why or what is going on other than it is widely acknowledged it does happen.

Any more light that someone could shed on this for me would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Troppo

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
Re: Non published dynamic mode changes
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 11:52:29 PM »
You are right - I have noticed the same things.

I leave mine in Dynamic and just change the suspension as required.

I don't find the throttle snatchy in Dynamic mode around town, although if I was on a long highway trip, I would probably use road mode.

Rain mode softens the suspension even more and actually reduces the preload - you can feel the bike lowering slightly when you go to rain mode.  Very useful for getting on and off ferries.

But, yes, what is seriously needed is a comprehensive, simple to read guide to the electronics/suspension on the XR.

The manual is hopelessly complicated - obviously written by a German engineer....

:002:   

Offline vsteel

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Kuna, ID
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 01:09:00 AM »
I actually understand the suspension and other modes pretty well now, I just didn't see any mention of the throttle position and of the exhaust.  I did find that others have said that the throttle position mapping is changed and the exhaust is called "thrust acoustics"  though I don't really know what that means.  I guess though other than being loud and having a pop and snap when cutting the throttle it doesn't change the power.   Or so my research so far tells me.

Offline Troppo

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 03:55:40 AM »
Road to dynamic changes the throttle mapping and also must change the exhaust valve, as mine bangs and pops delightfully in dynamic.

dysfunctional