Author Puig touring windscreen suckola  (Read 4706 times)

• Offline Ant   us

• XR Pro  ‐    174
    • Topic Author

Offline Ant

• XR Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: S1000XR
    Puig touring windscreen suckola
    on: September 01, 2016, 02:52:11 am
    September 01, 2016, 02:52:11 am
    Decided to try the Puig touring screen on a whim even though I REALLY like the Ztechnik I bought a few months ago (you know how it is, it might be better)

The friggin holes on the screen were a good 3/8" off, you'd have to wrestle and bend the screen just to get the two top screws in it was so far out of whack. I was afraid I was going to bend the bracket or crack the screen so I didn't even try. Boxed up and sending it back tomorrow asap.

There's a reason it was only $91 vs $196 for the Ztechnik which btw fit like a glove and is a lot nicer plastic, sometimes you get what you pay for.

• Offline Harry H   gb

• XR Member  ‐    88

Offline Harry H

• XR Member
    • Town: Sunny Surrey
    Re: Puig touring windscreen suckola
    Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 12:33:51 pm
    September 01, 2016, 12:33:51 pm
    I've had loads of Puig screens over the years as they've always delivered so it was the first port of call when I got the XR. It was a bit of a wrestle to get on but went in the end. The problem I had was that whilst it was bigger and looked good  and  added greater wind protection the buffeting was really bad.

Swapped for a MRA touring screen with the flip up bit on in the end and have to say it's very good. Short of bolting a barn door to the front of the bike I think one would struggle to improve on the MRA screen. I keep it down when playing and pop it up when sat on the Motorway. For reference I'm 6ft tall.

• Offline Troppo   au

• XR Pro  ‐    323

Offline Troppo

• XR Pro
    • Bike: XR
    Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 12:35:30 pm
    September 01, 2016, 12:35:30 pm
    I had a good ride out with my MRA today.  Really good for an "adventure" styled bike. 

Our bikes are an aerodynamic nightmare, as the rider sits a long way back from the screen....

• Offline fjrden   gb

• XR Member  ‐    39

Offline fjrden

• XR Member
    • Bike: S1000XRSE
    • Town: Ballygowan
    Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 04:28:38 pm
    November 18, 2016, 04:28:38 pm
    Tried Puig but had to send back. Was initially told that I couldn't and wouldn't get refund. Recontacted and got a different individual who told me I shouldn't have got previous reply. Was emailed a return label and refunded. I chose an MRA and like it.

• Offline mahseve33   gb

• XR Member  ‐    93

Offline mahseve33

• XR Member
    • Bike: s1000xr
    • Town: Cheshire
    Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 10:40:33 pm
    November 21, 2016, 10:40:33 pm
    Fitted a Wunderlich Sport screen for the s1xr. Very pleased with it. Minor turbulence at speed, but this is mainly on  motorways with cross vehicle turbulence. I'm 6ft 2ins with knackered spine so needed substantial protection.

• Offline lospsi   gr

• XR Member  ‐    88

Offline lospsi

• XR Member
    • Bike: BMW S1000XR 2015
    • Town: Athens
    Reply #5 on: June 02, 2022, 06:05:57 am
    June 02, 2022, 06:05:57 am
    Bump for a question for Puig touring screen users.

Since I installed that screen (I had the puig sport before), I noted that the hole bracket system rattles a lot more when I hit a bump or in bad roads, especially in the higer position. Now, after about 1000-2000kms of using it, I think the hole system rattles more, even in the low position. I checked if there were some screws or other fittings to adjust/tighten but didn't find any although I must admit that the hole mechanism looks solid.

I'm a bit sceptic though because it's a heavy screen, I wonder how it affects the bracket mechanism after many more kms. Any feedback?

• Offline Antares   gb

• XR God  ‐    1073

Offline Antares

• XR God
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    Reply #6 on: June 02, 2022, 11:57:30 am
    June 02, 2022, 11:57:30 am
    *Originally Posted by lospsi [+]
    Bump for a question for Puig touring screen users.

Since I installed that screen (I had the puig sport before), I noted that the hole bracket system rattles a lot more when I hit a bump or in bad roads, especially in the higer position. Now, after about 1000-2000kms of using it, I think the hole system rattles more, even in the low position. I checked if there were some screws or other fittings to adjust/tighten but didn't find any although I must admit that the hole mechanism looks solid.

I'm a bit sceptic though because it's a heavy screen, I wonder how it affects the bracket mechanism after many more kms. Any feedback?

I noticed mineis pretty wobbly too, and it's a bit distracting if I'm honest but when checking against other XRs that don't have this screen there doesn't seem to be a noticeable difference.

• Offline lospsi   gr

• XR Member  ‐    88

Offline lospsi

• XR Member
    • Bike: BMW S1000XR 2015
    • Town: Athens
    Reply #7 on: June 02, 2022, 03:34:43 pm
    June 02, 2022, 03:34:43 pm
    *Originally Posted by Antares [+]
    I noticed mineis pretty wobbly too, and it's a bit distracting if I'm honest but when checking against other XRs that don't have this screen there doesn't seem to be a noticeable difference.

Thanks for the reply!

It's not the wobble itself that worries me but the stress it might put to the hole mechanism. I don't think it had that when I had the smaller screen on the bike.
    Anyway, I'll keep running it and see how it goes.

• Offline Antares   gb

• XR God  ‐    1073

Offline Antares

• XR God
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    Reply #8 on: June 02, 2022, 03:42:50 pm
    June 02, 2022, 03:42:50 pm
    *Originally Posted by lospsi [+]
    Thanks for the reply!

It's not the wobble itself that worries me but the stress it might put to the hole mechanism. I don't think it had that when I had the smaller screen on the bike.
    Anyway, I'll keep running it and see how it goes.

Oh that is most definitely the case, but the mechanism is sturdy enough had my screen on for over 20k miles and it hasn't gotten any worse. You can see it bend back due to wind pressure at over 100mph, so if I ever mess about I put it down just to be safe.

• Offline zvez   us

• XR Member  ‐    42

Offline zvez

• XR Member
    • Bike: 2022 S1000XR
    • Town: georgia usa
    Reply #9 on: June 02, 2022, 04:19:08 pm
    June 02, 2022, 04:19:08 pm
    I did a 1200 mile trip with lots of interstate. I have the puig touring screen WIthout the add-on up top. Rock steady and optically very clear. I've never been a fan of the add on piece that some screens have.

dysfunctional