Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Day Long seat  (Read 2596 times)

Offline clarryr

• Ex Member
  • XR Member
Day Long seat
« on: September 01, 2016, 08:11:04 PM »
Here's a picture of my latest addition to my XR.  Yes, it is every bit as comfortable as it looks.

Offline LDrider 191

• XR Member
  • No matter where you go....... There you are
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: San Diego
Re: Day Long seat
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 11:22:31 PM »
You bought a Russel????  did you do a ride in or ship the seat pan?  How tall are you and what did it do to your reach to the ground?  Regular XR or lower XR? 
I had a RDL  on my K12LT and it was the bomb.  150k on that bike and never complained about the seat.  I love their seats, but fear that it would be too wide and make it hard to put a foot down.  If they shaved enough off the nose, it probably wouldn't be a problem.  did you do the pillion too, or just recover it to match?

Offline clarryr

• Ex Member
  • XR Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 05:27:43 PM »
All great questions.
Yes, I bought a Russel!!!  I did a ride in - but honestly they didn't change anything from my test sitting on it.  Though in theory they might have tweaked it if I'd asked them too.  The advantage of the ride-in was to see and choose the material beforehand. They will send you samples but it was a lot nicer to see them in the full size rolls.  I am 6'1" with a 32" inseam and the seat height increased about 1-2".  They said the foam would compress a little over time as it broke in. It is harder to reach the ground but I am still almost flat footed. I have a regular height XR. The front part of the seat didn't change much in width so that didn't affect the ground reach much. The pillion is just a cover/foam to match - my wife rides her own F800GT.  You can get a two up seat and the pillion would look much like the front with the wide pan.

Offline LDrider 191

• XR Member
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 12:09:33 AM »
I'm 6' even and 31 to 32 inseam - but I"m on my tip toes to have both feet on the ground.  So - did the RDL take much of the bucket out?  I find the current seat comfortable, just hate the deep dish nature of the seat. 
Thanks for the offer of samples, but I dont need them.  Have had RDL's in the past and many many friends ride with them.  I might try local saddle maker in San Diego that does pretty good work - at least it will give me an idea if anything could work.  Riding with wooden beads on seat now and it works pretty well to take out the sway back nature of seat. I used to live in Reno and getting to their old place in Fall River Mills was a nice morning ride - do the ride in and ride it home.  A little different from San Diego.  Just playing with ideas, but glad I saw yours.  Looks good.  I thought the look of the RDL might look totally out of place and huge..... but it doesn't. 

Offline clarryr

• Ex Member
  • XR Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 04:55:47 PM »
Yes, the Russell Day-Long takes the bucket out and adds lots of padding.  They will reduce the amount of padding at your request to reduce the amount of added height.
It's not me, but Russell that will send material/color samples if you are doing a mail-in order.  I'm just a happy customer.
Note that Russell also has the "sport" seat that doesn't add as much height.  My wife got that and she can still reach the ground on her F800GT.  It added about 1/2" to the seat height. It looks great too and is almost as comfortable.  Here's a picture of that.
Larry

Offline LDrider 191

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 05:39:27 PM »
thanks for both pictures.  kind of like that sport seat.  going to local guy first - and the worst he can do is make a bad seat worse and then I can send it or ride up to Russel.