Author Greased steering bearings  (Read 639 times)

• Offline Salish1000   us

• XR Pro  ‐    168
    • Topic Author

Offline Salish1000

• XR Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 16 XR
    • Town: PNW
    Greased steering bearings
    on: December 03, 2023, 05:01:50 am
    December 03, 2023, 05:01:50 am
    Got around to replacing the grease in my steering bearings today and it was very satisfying. Took about 4 hours overall, a bit slower than Mark's guide estimate of 2-3. Using Mark's guide makes it easy and I'm so grateful to him for it, although he does never mention to remove the front wheel in section 3.8.1 on the Headstock Bearings! I found the old grease to be minimal, and hardening. It's seven years old, so not terribly surprising.

Not to start a grease debate but just FYI that I used Mystic JT6 High Temp 3% Moly. Really like that stuff for suspension and bearing uses. The hardest part of the whole damn job is releasing the electrical connection from the frame for the ESA suspension on the left side. That alone took me forever to figure out what little tab in a horrible position I needed to push on for it to release. I wish Mark did something silly but useful like provide pictures of every BMW electrical connection and how to release them. It's a college class unto itself.

I didn't have any notchiness or issues prior to this work, and found the races all shiny and fine. Given that I ride here in the rainforest, I am glad to have these well packed in fresh grease that will resist the water assault things get here. I was very pleased with my DIY motorcycle lift as well. I made one of the black pipe models and used it to hold the handlebars up and back as I worked on the bearings. Folds up nicely and fits against my shop wall. I'll get good use out of that over the coming years for various projects.

Look forward to going for a ride tomorrow. I also found that the BMW dealer had installed the forks at my last service below the recommended level. As most of you know there is a line on our fork tubes near the top that designates the standard placement of the forks in the system. Mine were down all the way so the top of the fork was flush with the top yoke. This about a cm below where it should be for the stock setting at the engraved line.

2016 XR with full Akra, 26,000 and counting.
    We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.

• Offline smithy   au

• XR God  ‐    2658

Offline smithy

• XR God
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    Re: Greased steering bearings
    Reply #1 on: December 03, 2023, 07:05:57 pm
    December 03, 2023, 07:05:57 pm
    *Originally Posted by Salish1000 [+]
    I also found that the BMW dealer had installed the forks at my last service below the recommended level. As most of you know there is a line on our fork tubes near the top that designates the standard placement of the forks in the system. Mine were down all the way so the top of the fork was flush with the top yoke. This about a cm below where it should be for the stock setting at the engraved line.

Good work. I'm also a fan of the "moly" grease.

My forks are 20mm the other way, so the front end sits lower as I have Soupy's lowering links on mine, the whole bike is ~20mm lower than stock.

Smithy.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

• Offline Salish1000   us

• XR Pro  ‐    168
    • Topic Author

Offline Salish1000

• XR Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 16 XR
    • Town: PNW
    Re: Greased steering bearings
    Reply #2 on: December 03, 2023, 07:09:57 pm
    December 03, 2023, 07:09:57 pm
    *Originally Posted by smithy [+]

My forks are 20mm the other way, so the front end sits lower as I have Soupy's lowering links on mine, the whole bike is ~20mm lower than stock.

Smithy.

I should have mentioned that I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam. I need all the height I can get! In fact, the XR fits me just fine stock. If I pull the plug on the 2024XR I would get the higher seat.
    2016 XR with full Akra, 26,000 and counting.
    We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains.

dysfunctional