Author Missing the Angry  (Read 1948 times)

• Offline Harry H   gb

• XR Pro  ‐    101
    • Topic Author

Offline Harry H

• XR Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Town: Sunny Surrey
    Missing the Angry
    on: January 03, 2024, 03:19:14 pm
    January 03, 2024, 03:19:14 pm
    So I've had the Gen 2 for a few weeks now and in between the rain managed to get out for a couple of rides. My new steed is a polished piece of kit. No doubt about it.

Trouble is, compared to the Gen1 I had before I miss the anger. It's gone a bit quiet. I don't need loud though and I'm certainly not going to spend a fortune with headers, pipes, full systems etc. I'm not much of a tinkerer. More of a buy it and ride it sorta chap.  I've been down that very expensive route for ever decreasing returns in my youth.

The gen1  noise was perfect for me. Subtle when cruising with a little bit (enough) of a soundtrack when making reasonable progress. Just to remind me I'm having fun. The Gen2 is just as fast, it just doesn't sound like it.

I understand from researching in this forum that an exhaust valve eliminator will fix the noise coming out of the back of the pipe and give me the pops and bangs back. Although I have no experience of this. But the best bit of the Gen 1 to me was the intake roar. I could hear it without the rest of the world getting upset. Has anyone managed to replicate this on a Gen2.

Basically I'm after the easiest cheapest way to get a bit of the Fiz back without having to worry about warranty issues on a brand new bike. A bit more intake and a little more output is all I'm after. Just like my old Gen1 with all the refinements of the Gen2. The perfect bike is sooo close.

Advice from those with more tinkering knowledge very much appreciated.

• Offline CaptainSkinnyArms   us

• XR Member  ‐    34

Offline CaptainSkinnyArms

• XR Member
    • Bike: 23 s1000XR
    Re: Missing the Angry
    Reply #1 on: January 03, 2024, 08:00:54 pm
    January 03, 2024, 08:00:54 pm
    If you don't wanna do the header/flash thing then servo eliminator will be your best bet for a little.more.growl out the backside.  When it comes intake noise the only way that I know of is by modifying the airbox (cutting off the airbox flap and adding velocity stacks).

• Offline Belco100   gb

• XR Pro  ‐    385

Offline Belco100

• XR Pro
    • Bike: 1290 SAS and V4S MTS
    • Town: Essex
    Reply #2 on: January 08, 2024, 02:53:30 pm
    January 08, 2024, 02:53:30 pm
    I got a Brenn Tune and asked to hold the inlet flap and exhaust valve open as part of it, but I am sure many other tunners can do that. Or there is this which is a bit cheaper:

https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/ese-sw

• Offline Harry H   gb

• XR Pro  ‐    101
    • Topic Author

Offline Harry H

• XR Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Town: Sunny Surrey
    Reply #3 on: January 09, 2024, 01:42:32 pm
    January 09, 2024, 01:42:32 pm
    I've ordered a servo eliminator today. Hopefully I'll get round to sticking that on this weekend. It should help the noise from the rear.

A good nose around YT show up a vid of a guy who's replaced the stock filter with a K&N to improve the induction noise. Unless I come up with anything better that'll be my next step.

• Offline s1000xr-guy   gb

• XR Member  ‐    18

Offline s1000xr-guy

• XR Member
    Reply #4 on: January 09, 2024, 08:29:48 pm
    January 09, 2024, 08:29:48 pm
    I'm missing the quiet with my gen1 :008:

The grass is greener!