Author M1000XR centre stand?  (Read 8565 times)

0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

  • Offline Travis Bickle   gb

    • XR Member  ‐    22
    • **
    • Topic Author

    Offline Travis Bickle

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 22
    • Bike: Multi V4 Pikes Peak
    • Town: Maidstone
    • Country: gb
    M1000XR centre stand?
    on: January 04, 2024, 11:24:56 am
    January 04, 2024, 11:24:56 am
    Hi guys

    I'm new to the forum, I've never owned a BMW before (of the two-wheeled variety anyway) but am hoping to become a regular contributor here as I've got a deposit on a M1000XR (current bike 2023 Ducati Multistrada Pikes Peak).

    I'm hoping for some guidance however, hopefully there are some friendly chaps in here who can help?

    The dealer sent me an email yesterday inviting me to click a link to spec my bike out so that it can be pre-ordered.

    Looking at the options list however, some items are missing that are available to the S1000XR.

    Handguards
    Centre Stand
    M Endurance Chain
    LED Additional Fog Light
    Among others

    Most important to me is the centre stand.  I'd come to the conclusion that they just weren't listing it, not because it's not compatible with the M1000XR, but because of the extreme sporty nature of the bike BMW just didn't think many/any would want one.

    I was planning to just buy the S1000XR centre stand and have that fitted instead.

    However, speaking to the guys at Arden Tunbridge Wells (great guys, by the way) earlier this morning, they weren't willing to commit one way or the other as to whether that would be possible, or whether the centre stand mounting points would be different/missing on the M1000XR.

    For what it's worth I'd be planning on fitting a full exhaust system, if possible anyway, I thought I'd mention this just in case the centre stand not fitting the M1000XR has anything to do with it having a larger cat or something?  Which, on a side note, does anyone know if the exhaust system will be exactly the same fitting/compatibility on the 2024 M1000XR as it is on the 2020 - 2023 S1000XR?  I was planning on getting this, if it fits?
    https://www.blackwidowexhausts.co.uk/s1000xr-2020---2023-performance-de-cat-exhaust-system-200mm-round-carbon-blue-tip-silencer-47580-p.asp

    As nice as they were about it the advice seems to be "suck it and see".  £30k is a lot to shell out on something you're not 100% on what you're getting.  I know it only seems like a small minor thing but a centre stand is quite important to me and could be a deal breaker (might be the difference between ordering a spec'd up S1000XR TE instead, or maybe even sticking with the Pikes Peak a bit longer).

    Handguards - looks like they're not compatible with the bar end mirrors that come on the M1000XR as standard.  Could look into retro fitting S1000XR mirrors to enable fitting of the BMW hand guards because to be honest I've never been a fan of bar end mirrors and it looks like they protrude from the bars quite a bit maybe affecting filtering, that said there's bound to be some aftermarket hand guard options available so not a big deal.

    M Endurance Chain - I ASSUME this is not listed as an option because it comes as standard on the M1000XR, although there's no mention of this anywhere on the website.  All they go on about it the carbon and billet stuff, and the shift cam of course.

    LED Additional Fog Light - on the S1000XR you can have EITHER these OR the carbon engine bars (not both).  I assume they use the same mounting points.  On the M1000XR the additional fog lights are not an option, only the carbon engine bars.  It seems strange why they would let you have the carbon engine bars as an option on the M1000XR but not the additional fog lights.  Was originally thinking of having the carbon engine bars and then getting Denali spots fitted aftermarket.  That said, for the sake of a few kg might as well opt for the cheaper Givi or SW-Motech or Hepco & Becker ones?  Especially as the weight is quite low down.  Not that fussed about the carbon in generally really, only for the wheels as I know rotating unsprung mass is supposed to have a big effect on handling.  The rest of the carbon stuff I can take it or leave it really a few kg isn't going to make a noticable difference.  Especially as one can simply go on a diet instead.  Did someone say new year's resolution?

    Sorry to drone on, I'm sure it's only me who has any interest in this and that I've bored the pants off anyone who has managed to read the post in full.

    But I'd be very grateful if you guys would indulge me and give some input, especially in regarding to getting closer to a definitive answer as to whether or not I'll be able to fit a centre stand to the M1000XR.
    Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 11:29:32 am by Travis Bickle

  • Offline Antares   gb

    • XR God  ‐    2020
    • *****
      #1

    Offline Antares

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 2020
    • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
    • Town: Staines/Kirklees
    • Country: gb
    Re: M1000XR centre stand?
    Reply #1 on: January 04, 2024, 03:40:05 pm
    January 04, 2024, 03:40:05 pm
    Welcome,

    To be honest with the majority of these points it's impossible to tell as there are just no specimens in the wild yet, none in the dealers, or maybe even in the country, we can all make some educated guesses but that's about it, safest thing is to wait and see one in person to confirm, but the closest I could get to one so far was the one on a pedestal at MCL and it was hard to spot any of these things if you tried.

    Best of luck!

  • Offline Travis Bickle   gb

    • XR Member  ‐    22
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • #2

    Offline Travis Bickle

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 22
    • Bike: Multi V4 Pikes Peak
    • Town: Maidstone
    • Country: gb
    Re: M1000XR centre stand?
    Reply #2 on: January 04, 2024, 04:05:31 pm
    January 04, 2024, 04:05:31 pm
    *Originally Posted by Antares [+]
    Welcome,

    To be honest with the majority of these points it's impossible to tell as there are just no specimens in the wild yet, none in the dealers, or maybe even in the country, we can all make some educated guesses but that's about it, safest thing is to wait and see one in person to confirm, but the closest I could get to one so far was the one on a pedestal at MCL and it was hard to spot any of these things if you tried.

    Best of luck!

    Yeah I appreciate what you're saying.  And apparently the one at MCL wasn't even a production model anyway (some kind of pre-production prototype) so wouldn't be anything to go by anyway.

    My problem is I was the first to put a deposit on, so I'm first in line to get mine before anyone else, they're asking me to spec it now.  If I leave it until I can see one in the flesh, there may be a waiting list for them like there was when I got the Pikes Peak.

    Can't win this one, can I?

  • Online capt cf   us

    • XR Pro  ‐    394
    • ***
      #3

    Online capt cf

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 394
    • Bike: 18 & 21 S1000XR
    • Country: us
    Re: M1000XR centre stand?
    Reply #3 on: January 04, 2024, 04:19:50 pm
    January 04, 2024, 04:19:50 pm
    *Originally Posted by Travis Bickle [+]
    Yeah I appreciate what you're saying.  And apparently the one at MCL wasn't even a production model anyway (some kind of pre-production prototype) so wouldn't be anything to go by anyway.

    My problem is I was the first to put a deposit on, so I'm first in line to get mine before anyone else, they're asking me to spec it now.  If I leave it until I can see one in the flesh, there may be a waiting list for them like there was when I got the Pikes Peak.

    Can't win this one, can I?
    Nope.  I was also first to have a deposit at my dealer, but when I found out the M was (most likely) not going to be a good fit for my touring needs I cancelled it and moved on.  Like you, I wanted aux lights, center stand, etc. and also have the option for panniers or at least a tail rack like the current XR.  It might be possible to graft some of that stuff over from the '24 XR, but nobody knows for sure yet as far as I know.  General consensus among others in the community was "it's an M so is a sportbike - stop trying to make it something it isn't" and I don't really need/want a sportbike so after some soul searching I moved on.
    You can't teach pigs to sing - it only frustrates you and annoys the pig.

  • Offline Harry H   gb

    • XR Pro  ‐    101
    • ***
      #4

    Offline Harry H

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 101
    • Town: Sunny Surrey
    • Country: gb
    Re: M1000XR centre stand?
    Reply #4 on: January 04, 2024, 05:20:20 pm
    January 04, 2024, 05:20:20 pm
    For the price you're paying I would expect the dealer to pick up the bloody phone and speak to someone in Germany to find out.

    I sort of understand on this type of bike why fog lights, centre stands etc aren't listed. They've gone a long way to get the weight down and let's be honest it is a sports bike really for those want an up right riding position more than a touring bike.
     
    At the moment though you don't know if it's the above or because they can't.

    Isn't a dealers main purpose to answer a customers questions about a product. Otherwise what's the point of them and we should all just move to internet only sales. They maybe great guys but they also sound lazy to me.

     
    Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 05:24:19 pm by Harry H

  • Offline the bartender   ca

    • XR Pro  ‐    204
    • ***
      #5

    Offline the bartender

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 204
    • Town: Vancouver
    • Country: ca
    Re: M1000XR centre stand?
    Reply #5 on: January 05, 2024, 12:54:10 am
    January 05, 2024, 12:54:10 am
    its only offered as part of the Touring Package (233), which is not available for the M.

  • Offline smithy   au

    • XR God  ‐    2654
    • *****
      #6

    Offline smithy

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 2654
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    • Country: au
    Re: M1000XR centre stand?
    Reply #6 on: January 05, 2024, 08:08:37 am
    January 05, 2024, 08:08:37 am
    Had a good look at the latest pics of the M1000XR, it doesn't look like there are any mounting points for a centre stand like the normal XR has.

    Smithy.
    Last Edit: January 05, 2024, 08:09:14 am by smithy
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

  • Offline Travis Bickle   gb

    • XR Member  ‐    22
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • #7

    Offline Travis Bickle

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 22
    • Bike: Multi V4 Pikes Peak
    • Town: Maidstone
    • Country: gb
    Re: M1000XR centre stand?
    Reply #7 on: January 05, 2024, 10:12:45 am
    January 05, 2024, 10:12:45 am
    *Originally Posted by capt cf [+]
    General consensus among others in the community was "it's an M so is a sportbike - stop trying to make it something it isn't"

    That's fully what I was expecting to be told here LOL

    My point though is that if something like the S1000XR can already be such a good allrounder, what's wrong with wanting some more extreme performance without unnecessarily sacrificing some of the convenience?  They don't NEED to make it impossible to have certain conveniences on the M1000XR.  Just do what Ducati done with the Pikes Peak and remove all the convenience stuff (panniers, centre stand, heated grips etc.) from the base bike but still list them as options.  Seems BMW have gone out of their way to make sure that their customers are not allowed to have the same conveniences on the M1000XR as the S1000XR... BECAUSE IT'S A SPORTS BIKE!!!

    Shift cam and carbon bits is what I thought the M was all about.  Not sure why they need to go out of their way to remove mounting points for the pannier carriers and aux lights?



    *Originally Posted by Harry H [+]
    For the price you're paying I would expect the dealer to pick up the bloody phone and speak to someone in Germany to find out.

    I sort of understand on this type of bike why fog lights, centre stands etc aren't listed. They've gone a long way to get the weight down and let's be honest it is a sports bike really for those want an up right riding position more than a touring bike.
     
    At the moment though you don't know if it's the above or because they can't.

    Isn't a dealers main purpose to answer a customers questions about a product. Otherwise what's the point of them and we should all just move to internet only sales. They maybe great guys but they also sound lazy to me.

    Agreed.  Although I do think manufacturers intentionally keep their dealers in the dark about things until the very last minute for fears of leaks etc.  They seemed willing to help, but not able.  You say they've gone a long way to reduce weight, but I don't see that they have.  I thought it was something like 4kg lighter overall?  2kg of those is in the carbon wheels.  Seems they've got the other 2kg from shaving off mounting points from convenience accessories!  To me, saying the M1000XR is more of a sports bike than the S1000XR is like saying the the S1000R is more of a naked bike than the R1250R or the F900R.  To me, the M and the S should be classified as the same type of bike (crossover, tallrounder, sports adventure, whatever you want to call it) and serve the same purpose, just you're paying for more performance in one than the other.  Otherwise, like others have rightly said, if you want to distinguish the two from each other by what category they fall under, then if you want a sports bike, buy a bloody sports bike!



    *Originally Posted by the bartender [+]
    its only offered as part of the Touring Package (233), which is not available for the M.

    Yes but you can still buy the centre stand separately without having the touring package and fit it to an S1000XR.  So my theory and logic was indicating / hoping the same would be true for the M1000XR.



    *Originally Posted by smithy [+]
    Had a good look at the latest pics of the M1000XR, it doesn't look like there are any mounting points for a centre stand like the normal XR has.

    Your post prompted me to do the same.  Seems obviously really!  Well I did have a close look but couldn't quite see very clearly and definitively.  However doing a Google search for the S1000XR and M1000XR respectively, and specifying 20MP image size or higher, you can zoom in to see exactly how it mounts to the S1000XR.  Having done this and compared it to the images for the M1000XR, for some bizarre reason it seems that the mounting eye on the right hand side is there but they've shaved it off on the left hand side for some reason.

    I'll upload some closeups if I can be arsed.

    In short - it does appear that fitting a centre stand would not be possible.  I've got to think whether I want the bike or not now.  I know it sounds very spec sheet warrior like, but basically weighing up an additional 40 BHP over a centre stand LOL

  • Offline Travis Bickle   gb

    • XR Member  ‐    22
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • #8

    Offline Travis Bickle

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 22
    • Bike: Multi V4 Pikes Peak
    • Town: Maidstone
    • Country: gb
    Re: M1000XR centre stand?
    Reply #8 on: January 05, 2024, 10:37:49 am
    January 05, 2024, 10:37:49 am
    S1000XR LHS



    M1000XR LHS




    S1000XR RHS




    M1000XR RHS

  • Online Watshot   gb

    • XR Pro  ‐    184
    • ***
      #9

    Online Watshot

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 184
    • Bike: XR Sp SE
    • Country: gb
    Re: M1000XR centre stand?
    Reply #9 on: January 05, 2024, 11:11:14 am
    January 05, 2024, 11:11:14 am
    That image of the LHS doesn’t look like the MXR. It hasn’t got the same peg as the RHS image, and it’s got a pillion peg…

     



    dysfunctional