Author Hello from Devon..  (Read 2889 times)

• Offline Tobybiker   gb

• XR Junior  ‐    7
    • Topic Author

Offline Tobybiker

• XR Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Town: Exeter
    Hello from Devon..
    on: January 11, 2024, 10:22:37 pm
    January 11, 2024, 10:22:37 pm
    Hello forum members!

I have arrived here from wanting a change from my two other bikes- Both Kawies, Z1000SX and Z900RS.

Looking like i may sell both and have a proper reset before making a decision on the bike to replace both. Ive needed to downsize to one bike for a while.
    I took a test ride this week at Plymouth BMW on a 2022 S1000XR.
    What a great bike! Past 8k it goes like a scalded cat and sounds angry  :007:
    I had it in Road mode and it was soft, yet compliant. I mean this bike handles like a mountain bike!!
    After a lot of thought and consideration i can see there is a good possibility i may go for the Gen 1 bike, as i prefer the more analogue dash.
    Probably a 2018 model?

Anyhow I have a few questions for you guys, banking on you will know better than me!!
    Answers very well appreciated  :821:

Apart from the TFT, is there a lot of difference in real riding terms between the two generations??

The seat was very comfortable yet a little high for me, a lower seat is available apparently- Has anyone got a lower seat and can you comment on if it is still comfortable enough, for say an hour and half riding?

That top box bracket has to go, i don't like top boxes, never have, all of my touring stuff can be fitted into panniers easily. Is there a way of removing the bracket, as i think it spoils the look of the rear end IMO, and just having the grab handles with panniers?

Ive heard that some Gen 1 can get a bit vibey on the handlebars, has anyone experienced this and found a suitable solution/s ?

Thanks in advance.

ATB Toby  :028:

Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 10:31:41 pm by Tobybiker

• Offline capt cf   us

• XR Pro  ‐    394

Offline capt cf

• XR Pro
    • Bike: 18 & 21 S1000XR
    Re: Hello from Devon..
    Reply #1 on: January 11, 2024, 11:59:26 pm
    January 11, 2024, 11:59:26 pm
    Welcome!  There are prob other threads, but the most recent one where I think we kicked this around is here - https://www.s1000xr.uk/index.php/topic,7651.0.html
    You can't teach pigs to sing - it only frustrates you and annoys the pig.

• Offline brickit   gb

• XR Pro  ‐    102

Offline brickit

• XR Pro
    • Bike: s1000xr
    Reply #2 on: January 12, 2024, 12:48:29 am
    January 12, 2024, 12:48:29 am
    I came to the XR from a Z1000sx.
    That was 4 years ago and I've just traded in my 2017 model for the identical bike, but with 30,000 miles less on the clock. I guess that makes me a bit of a fan.
    Regarding your queries.
    If you get a Mk1 XR, 2017 or later, you are unlikely to have any vibration issues as extra damping and bar end weights were added in the factory. You can tell a post 2017 model as they have reflectors each side of the front forks.
    As far as the seats go, like any bike, you just have to try a few different ones to get the best fit for your rear end. I found the seat and riding position on the XR much more comfortable than the SX.  I settled for a low seat, but have a low and medium seat spare and live 5 miles from Exeter. Send me a pm and you would be welcome to come over and try them out when you get the new bike.

• Offline Tobybiker   gb

• XR Junior  ‐    7
    • Topic Author

Offline Tobybiker

• XR Junior
    • Topic Author
    Reply #3 on: January 12, 2024, 07:42:59 pm
    January 12, 2024, 07:42:59 pm
    Thanks capt cf for that link, answers a lot of questions and more  :028:

Brickit  Also thanks for that, and if i get the bike, i will pm you and have a jolly over to you.

Cheers  :821:
    Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 07:45:20 pm by Tobybiker

• Offline capt cf   us

• XR Pro  ‐    394

Offline capt cf

• XR Pro
    • Bike: 18 & 21 S1000XR
    Reply #4 on: January 12, 2024, 07:52:41 pm
    January 12, 2024, 07:52:41 pm
    *Originally Posted by Tobybiker [+]
    Thanks capt cf for that link, answers a lot of questions and more  :028:

Brickit  Also thanks for that, and if i get the bike, i will pm you and have a jolly over to you.

Cheers  :821:
    Anytime, mate.  You can't go wrong, IMO...both are cracking bikes.
    You can't teach pigs to sing - it only frustrates you and annoys the pig.

dysfunctional