Author Service cost / warranty query  (Read 1211 times)

• Offline MS1000XR   gb

• XR Junior  ‐    1
    • Topic Author

Offline MS1000XR

• XR Junior
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: S1000XR 22’
    Service cost / warranty query
    on: January 18, 2024, 04:43:38 pm
    January 18, 2024, 04:43:38 pm
    I have a late 22 1000XR. Service light is on and has done 4.5 K miles in total and hasn’t been serviced since the run in service. Called in at my BMW dealer and was quoted £230 for the basic oil and filter service  :006: , and £300 for 6K service which includes air filter and brake fluid change. Tempted to go to a local bike mechanic to get the service done as £230 seems a bit excessive, but cautious about voiding my 3 year manufacturers warranty. I would do it myself if it wasnt for warranty!

Can anybody give me advice in relation to warranty being voided and best way to proceed? Thanks!

• Offline smithy   au

• XR God  ‐    2658

Offline smithy

• XR God
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    Re: Service cost / warranty query
    Reply #1 on: January 18, 2024, 08:32:29 pm
    January 18, 2024, 08:32:29 pm
    *Originally Posted by MS1000XR [+]
    I have a late 22 1000XR. Service light is on and has done 4.5 K miles in total and hasn’t been serviced since the run in service. Called in at my BMW dealer and was quoted £230 for the basic oil and filter service  :006: , and £300 for 6K service which includes air filter and brake fluid change. Tempted to go to a local bike mechanic to get the service done as £230 seems a bit excessive, but cautious about voiding my 3 year manufacturers warranty. I would do it myself if it wasnt for warranty!

Can anybody give me advice in relation to warranty being voided and best way to proceed? Thanks!

All services other than the major one at 30k km, (18k miles), are just a glorified oil/filter change, do it yourself. If you use proper/recognised parts warranty cannot be denied.

The service light is operated by distance and/or calendar time, whichever comes first. We've had people complain about service lights coming on when they've only done 1500 miles but has been 12 months since the first running-in service. Motoscan and an OBDLink MX/LX dongle will sort it.

Smithy.
    Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 08:33:52 pm by smithy
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

• Offline Matt589   gb

• XR Member  ‐    53

Offline Matt589

• XR Member
    • Bike: S1000XR TE
    Reply #2 on: January 19, 2024, 11:45:43 am
    January 19, 2024, 11:45:43 am
    That’s definitely true in the US and Aus but check in the UK. It may also be legally correct but won’t stop most dealers and/or BMW from making life much harder when you need to make a claim. We have laws but they’re mostly poorly enforced.

Yes, servicing is expensive from a dealer (for most if not all brands now) but I have a good relationship with my dealer, get a hefty discount on both new and used bikes and accessories, they have given me free seats and other bits and pieces they had spare, and they’ve replaced parts I didn’t even know were faulty FOC at service time, even when outside of warranty. I also insist that it’s the master tech who works my bikes as some main dealer mechanics have literally no idea what they’re doing.

Of course everyone pays their money and takes their choice!

• Offline smithy   au

• XR God  ‐    2658

Offline smithy

• XR God
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    Reply #3 on: January 19, 2024, 08:22:06 pm
    January 19, 2024, 08:22:06 pm
    *Originally Posted by Matt589 [+]
    I also insist that it’s the master tech who works my bikes as some main dealer mechanics have literally no idea what they’re doing. Of course everyone pays their money and takes their choice!

This^^

I've had numerous issues with dealers over the years, damage to my bikes and things left loose by "so called Master Techs"....and tyre places who damage rims and put tyres on backwards....I do "all" my own mechanical work and tyre changes now....I'm afraid don't trust any of them as I age.

Smithy.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!