Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Side Stand enlarger for Low frame XR  (Read 4344 times)

Offline Triumphboy

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Buckingham
Side Stand enlarger for Low frame XR
« on: September 06, 2016, 04:44:50 PM »
Hello.
Does anyone have experience regarding fitting a sidestand enlarger to the XR with a low frame?

I read somewhere, from one of the vendors, sorry, can't remember which one, that the Low frame sidestand pad is a different shape and the enlarger won't fit.

Are they different? If so, has anyone bought an enlarger that fits the low version properly??
Many thanks
Triumphboy.

Offline KennyM

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000xr SE
  • Town: Carnoustie
Re: Side Stand enlarger for Low frame XR
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 12:46:06 PM »
I have fitted one from GIVI and it seems to fit ok. Ordered the standard one for bike.

Offline Triumphboy

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 09:57:13 AM »
Thanks Kenny M for your reply.
Did seem strange that it stated that it would fit one but not the other.
Anyway, Sounds like Givi will get a bit of business.
With regards :152:

Offline Morse

• XR Member
  • Town: Northampton
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 06:39:44 PM »
I have the low bike and the Wunderlich side stand enlarger is perfect. Had one from the same manufacturer on my last bike, a GSA, and in 5 years it didn't fall off or let the bike fall over.
If you fit the Wunderlich one having used the bike for a while, you might need to do a little bit of filing the foot soft alloy side stand which gets slightly out of shape. It's that good a fit and worth it.

Offline Triumphboy

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 10:30:11 AM »
Thanks for the reply Morse
I think, from memory, it was the Wunderlich one that said it wasn't for the low frame version. The website doesn't show that now so I'm guessing your experience proved that website wrong.
Cheers  :028:

Offline Lotus99

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: West Coast
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 04:15:30 PM »
Did anyone figure out which works on low suspension bikes?  It's the SW Motech one the poster above I'm guessing was looking at, that says on their site it's not compatible with lowered bikes.

http://shop.sw-motech.com/en/4052572042120.htm

When I asked them why, they said it's because there's a chance it may scrape when riding, if you take corners aggressively.  Which doesn't make sense to me.  There's other bits that are lower or extend farther out, no?  I thought it might have to do with the lean angle on the bike, when it's parked, in that because you're adding half an inch to the kickstand and raising its height, the bike might be too vertical?

None of the other kickstand enlargers have that "not for lowered bikes" disclaimer...   :155:

Offline Big Dawg

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000 XR
  • Town: Savannah GA
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 07:38:57 PM »
I have the same foot enlarger and I havent touched mine down yet and I have the Low version. There isn't much of a chicken strip left on the tires either. :046:
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 07:40:42 PM by Big Dawg »
Jimmy Chance
"I had the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability"- Ron White

Offline Lotus99

• XR Member
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 09:13:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by Big Dawg [+]
I have the same foot enlarger and I havent touched mine down yet and I have the Low version. There isn't much of a chicken strip left on the tires either. :046:

I take it you're referring to the SW Motech one?  I was looking at my bike today, and the centerstand seems to be lower than the kickstand...  So if something was to rub, I would think it would be that.

But to complicate matters more, I had written to Hornig also, who make the same disclaimer, and their reasoning is because the foot on the low suspension kickstand is different than the regular kickstand.  Now that one makes even less sense to me?  They swear they sold the foot enlarger to someone with a low suspension, and it wouldn't fit on it.

Do you think that's just some weird one-off, or is that the real reason?

I'm leaning more towards the Hornig one, because I don't like the looks of the SW Motech as much...  it's huge and I don't think I will ever take mine off road.  I'm thinking doubling the size of the footprint should be plenty for most situations.

Here's a picture of my kickstand - it's 3.3 cm across at the widest, and looks to me the same as the one in the Horning photo, which must be the regular one.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 09:26:38 PM by Lotus99 »

Offline feeb

• XR Member
  • Town: Leslie, Fife
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 07:42:28 AM »
I have the low frame bike and I've fitted the R & G enlarger and it's fine.

Offline Lotus99

• XR Member
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 07:39:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by feeb [+]
I have the low frame bike and I've fitted the R & G enlarger and it's fine.

Thanks for confirming.  So strange.  Theirs looks similar to the Hornig one, in that the foot of the kickstand needs to fit inside.  And it looks like it's cut out to fit the foot exactly...