Offline mjojom

• XR Pro
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: s1000xr
    bike security
    on: January 23, 2024, 10:00:14 pm
    January 23, 2024, 10:00:14 pm
    hi guys,

so some little cun*s finally had a go on my bike. I've parked it behind the shop where I was working today at Epsom london with fairly good footfall (not that this deters anyone today), and I've returned to the bike with twisted forks/steering and a broken steering lock. I had a xenna disc lock on, which they probably did not notice at first, so they couldn't push it away.
    I straightened the steering a bit (wheel against wall and twisted steering) so I could ride home. an hour later, I get my steering aligned again (more pain in the backside if anything tbh.
    however, the steering lock is broken, and can be replaced, but, is it really worth it?
    eventually, I guess, with better weather I may replace it, but what do you guys think of Roadlok XRA? The brake caliper disc lock (KTM style), and bennets have good reviews, is it something you guys would buy?

I don't get the little pricks, how do they think they will start a modern bike with an immobilizer, or am I missing something?

I've also added a kryptonite D-lock through the wheel to my repertoire from today.
    similar thing happened to me years ago on f650 gs, but they pulled the barrel too and BMW under the barrel has got a simple twist-type microswitch that can be turned with a screwdriver -modern ones have an immobilizer tho. I've left it and fitted a remote-controlled relay switch buried deep inside so I wasn't worried about anyone riding it away.

thanks for the ideas.

• Offline Tobybiker   gb

• XR Junior  ‐    7

Offline Tobybiker

• XR Junior
    • Town: Exeter
    Re: bike security
    Reply #1 on: January 24, 2024, 09:56:01 am
    January 24, 2024, 09:56:01 am
    Typical, you cant have anything nice nowadays without some f***er trying to steal it.
    Sorry to hear about your headache.

Just bear in mind that the insurance is invalid if a steering lock is not in place, and the bike gets stolen.
    I don't make the rules, and yes they do not make sense but there we go.

Hope you get it sorted.

• Offline Harry H   gb

• XR Pro  ‐    101

Offline Harry H

• XR Pro
    • Town: Sunny Surrey
    Reply #2 on: January 24, 2024, 05:05:10 pm
    January 24, 2024, 05:05:10 pm
    I had a Honda Forza 750 super scoot for the run to work. The scrotes kicked the bars so hard to break the steering lock it actually damaged the frame so bad it made it a write off. It was only 4 months old.

They then decided to angle grind the disc lock off by just cutting the disc right through. How they thought they were going to ride it with linked brakes I've no idea. Touch any brake and they'd be over the bars.

Cops chased em off, didn't catch em but they did £10K worth of damage.

Vehicle theft is out of control. Some top end cars you literally can't get insurance for in the South East. Can see bikes going the same way.

• Online RyanGTXR   gb

• XR Master  ‐    509

Online RyanGTXR

• XR Master
    • Bike: KTM 1290 GT
    • Town: Notts
    Reply #3 on: January 24, 2024, 06:07:52 pm
    January 24, 2024, 06:07:52 pm
    Have Roadlok's on both my bikes. they were sold secure or some such standard when first came out but not now, but only because they don't pay to keep having them tested every so often.
    Main cons for them are if you forget to remove the disc lock (we all do it at some time or another) you cannot start to ride off then the lock hit the caliper causing damage/ a fall, if the pin isn't already through the disc it'll lock in within an inch or so, so your feet are still on the floor and no momentum has been gained. The other is not having to carry a lock, it's always on the bike you just carry the pin in your pocket

• Offline mjojom   gb

• XR Pro  ‐    118
    • Topic Author

Offline mjojom

• XR Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: January 24, 2024, 06:39:03 pm
    January 24, 2024, 06:39:03 pm
    well, the BMW design thought of the frame damage and it designed the steering lock to be replaceable and the weakest point, so if broken, there's no damage to the frame or the steering itself so you can still ride the bike. that's nice of them, as opposed to designing something that can't be broken  :084:

yes, I have been there, forgot the disc lock and ended up on the floor. then second time rolled the bike backwards and the fender got damaged etc..  :002:

so roadloks are the way to go? From the design, it seems if they want to cut the frame of the disc lock, the wheel and caliper is in the way so can't be done, to cut off from top, you got a hanging brake caliper, but the thing still won't slide off. if they would somehow cut it, then the pin is still in the brake disc so they need to continue cutting and at that point, wtf- you can't ride it off... it seems pretty sturdy against sledge hammer, and hammering it on the caliper, surely you'll bend both which will just lean against disc so they still cannot move the bike.

• Offline Winger   gb

• XR God  ‐    3730

Offline Winger

• XR God
    • Town: Birmingham
    Reply #5 on: January 24, 2024, 08:13:28 pm
    January 24, 2024, 08:13:28 pm
    Can not remember the last time I ever used a bike in those kind of situations,if I’m able to keep an eye on it fine or lock in a secure compound then fine otherwise it’s a car,don’t ask me like it….welcome too the modern world 😢,you guys in the south east are going through the same process we did up here well over 20 years ago…..

• Offline david_s   gb

• XR Member  ‐    54

Offline david_s

• XR Member
    • Bike: S1000XR Gen 1
    • Town: Langley Mill
    Reply #6 on: January 24, 2024, 08:51:59 pm
    January 24, 2024, 08:51:59 pm
    Full the ultimate in security it's got to be the Litelok X3 or X1. Check the Bennett's reviews on them

• Offline Deano747   au

• XR Member  ‐    32

Offline Deano747

• XR Member
    • Bike: 2018 S1000XR
    • Town: Melbourne
    Reply #7 on: January 24, 2024, 11:54:15 pm
    January 24, 2024, 11:54:15 pm
    For your security system to be effective, it's got to be highly visible.
    2 metres of string/cord/rope/whatever from your disclock to your right handlebar with a tag saying "Remove before xxxx" may just get them to move to the next bike, and also stops you trying to ride off as well with the lock still attached.
    The string is $0.02 and a "remove before flight" tag on a couple of $'s on E-Bay. Get a couple of those as they tend to get nicked.........

• Offline Harry H   gb

• XR Pro  ‐    101

Offline Harry H

• XR Pro
    • Town: Sunny Surrey
    Reply #8 on: January 25, 2024, 09:48:25 am
    January 25, 2024, 09:48:25 am
    *Originally Posted by mjojom [+]

yes, I have been there, forgot the disc lock and ended up on the floor.

Many years ago. I did exactly this only I fell under the bike and was trapped. Underground private office car park on a Friday night. Pre mobiles. Stuck there with a bloody great XJR1200 lying on top of me. With only one car left in the whole car park I really thought I was going to be there all weekend.

Luckily the owner of said car turned up an hour later and rescued me. Since then all my disc locks have been alarmed.

• Offline mjojom   gb

• XR Pro  ‐    118
    • Topic Author

Offline mjojom

• XR Pro
    • Topic Author
    Reply #9 on: January 25, 2024, 12:00:40 pm
    January 25, 2024, 12:00:40 pm
    *Originally Posted by Deano747 [+]
    For your security system to be effective, it's got to be highly visible.

I think this is IT! I was thinking about it, the xena alarmed disc lock is chrome just as the disc is, so not visible in most situations! I've ordered a new steering lock, and roadie caliper/disc lock, and I will order a couple of curly strings too so it's visible that the bike is locked, making them think twice. 

I don't want to go after ultimate security, if someone really wants bike, they will lift it and go. It needs to be made difficult for opportunistic imbeciles to even try and go for it. so as roadie can't really be cut without destroying other stuff and thus making the bike unrideable, and making the locks visible I think that is the one to go for. 

annoying how we have to think about securing the things that we work for..   :013:

thanks

dysfunctional