Author Android auto and quad lock to replace motorrad cradle and Bluetooth dash i  (Read 2250 times)

• Offline jlparsons   gb

• XR Member  ‐    31
    • Topic Author

Offline jlparsons

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: F800GT
    • Town: CARDIFF
    Android auto and quad lock to replace motorrad cradle and Bluetooth dash i
    on: January 28, 2024, 10:29:02 am
    January 28, 2024, 10:29:02 am
    Can't remember who asked, but here is the finished fitting.  Used a standard 4 bolt 12mm bar clamp to attach an android auto device to the GPS bar and a handlebar clamp mount to fit a quad lock wireless charger.  Both are hard wired, the quad lock to the back of the 12v socket on the front fairing and the android auto uses the power cable that used to feed the GPS cradle.

Did this after finding the bike Bluetooth unreliable and audio quality poor, plus the motorrad phone holder spat my phone out at 70mph on the motorway.  Audio is now perfect and android auto is easy to use with gloves.  If I want to use the BMW nav app I still can but never have.

• Offline Lumalee   gb

• XR Junior  ‐    10

Offline Lumalee

• XR Junior
    • Bike: S1000XR TE
    • Town: Clitheroe
    Re: Android auto and quad lock to replace motorrad cradle and Bluetooth dash i
    Reply #1 on: January 28, 2024, 07:33:28 pm
    January 28, 2024, 07:33:28 pm
    Just fitted the exact same unit to my XR this morning, used the USB power cable for a quick play today. I removed the BMW bracket some time ago and installed the wireless Quad lock, but found it so frustrating sometimes when the phone just wont go on the mount no matter how many times a tried  :008: my fault of course.
    So my question is, did you find a connector to marry up to the BMW cradle connector on the bike, or just tap into the wires, dont suppose you could advise a luddite and let me know which wires carry the correct voltage ? Cheers in advance.

• Offline jlparsons   gb

• XR Member  ‐    31
    • Topic Author

Offline jlparsons

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #2 on: January 28, 2024, 07:57:31 pm
    January 28, 2024, 07:57:31 pm
    I clipped it half way down the GPS mount bar.  The three wires inside are purple black and red - purple is data, black and red are negative and positive respectively.  At least that's what was on my bike!  I used solder glue cable connectors for each wire and then a long black adhesive lined heat shrink tube over the top.  This makes it look seamless and should last.
    I know what you mean with quadlocks, they can be fiddly!  Worth it tho IMHO.  Having both phone and android auto on the dash is perfect.

• Offline Lumalee   gb

• XR Junior  ‐    10

Offline Lumalee

• XR Junior
    Reply #3 on: January 29, 2024, 02:48:22 pm
    January 29, 2024, 02:48:22 pm
    Amazing, thanks for the info, going to do the same, but will obviously check voltage on a meter just to make sure.

• Offline jlparsons   gb

• XR Member  ‐    31
    • Topic Author

Offline jlparsons

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #4 on: January 29, 2024, 02:53:40 pm
    January 29, 2024, 02:53:40 pm
    No worries!  Funny we both fitted the same device to the same bike on the same day.  Only thing I don't like about it is the brand name... Carpuride?!   :008:
    Any way best of luck!

• Offline Lumalee   gb

• XR Junior  ‐    10

Offline Lumalee

• XR Junior
    Reply #5 on: January 29, 2024, 11:10:00 pm
    January 29, 2024, 11:10:00 pm
    Oh god yeah, 100 % agree, bit of a daft name, but given there is a 30% discount atm and it brings it down to £170 its by far the most cost effective version, and playing on it yesterday, have to admit, I'm impressed.

Few little niggles with connectivity to the intercom at first, mines a Sena, but now know, its bike first, then phone, then switch helmet intercom on and its flawless. Next test is to see if intercom will connect to my GP12 at the same time so I can do my vlog when riding, I'll keep ya posted.

Cheers

• Offline jlparsons   gb

• XR Member  ‐    31
    • Topic Author

Offline jlparsons

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #6 on: January 29, 2024, 11:14:52 pm
    January 29, 2024, 11:14:52 pm
    You connect it to the bike? 

• Offline Lumalee   gb

• XR Junior  ‐    10

Offline Lumalee

• XR Junior
    Reply #7 on: January 29, 2024, 11:17:06 pm
    January 29, 2024, 11:17:06 pm
    Which bit ? LOL

Not connected the carpurplayrider thingy as yet, its been "one of those Mondays" but going to do it tomorrow.

• Offline jlparsons   gb

• XR Member  ‐    31
    • Topic Author

Offline jlparsons

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    Reply #8 on: January 29, 2024, 11:19:37 pm
    January 29, 2024, 11:19:37 pm
    *Originally Posted by Lumalee [+]
    but now know, its bike first, then phone, then switch helmet intercom on and its flawless.

I assumed you were talking about Bluetooth connections?

• Offline Lumalee   gb

• XR Junior  ‐    10

Offline Lumalee

• XR Junior
    Reply #9 on: January 29, 2024, 11:23:37 pm
    January 29, 2024, 11:23:37 pm
    Yeah sorry, I was.
    SO I switch the bike on first, so the Carpuride is powered up, which then auto connects to the phone, only then if I switch the Sena on does it connect everytime without fail. If the sena is on already it can be a bit flaky connecting. So got a GP12 last week and its the first GP to be enabled with bluetooth mic input and the sena connect to it directly so all our mates on Sena mesh will be recorded while riding, but I havent tested that connectivity whilst using the carplay, so it may not work, i'll post findings here tomorrow.  :028:

dysfunctional