Author New bike with white grease on chain  (Read 640 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

  • Offline Spyderman   us

    • XR Member  ‐    20
    • **
    • Topic Author

    Offline Spyderman

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 20
    • Bike: F900R & S1000XR
    • Town: Maine
    • Country: us
    New bike with white grease on chain
    on: February 11, 2024, 09:58:45 pm
    February 11, 2024, 09:58:45 pm
    What's everyone do with the grease on a new bike chain. I'm thinking it might be easier to clean it off the chain before it flings all over the bike. Then lube it up with what I'm going to be using on a regular basis.

  • Offline smithy   au

    • XR God  ‐    2654
    • *****
      #1

    Offline smithy

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 2654
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    • Country: au
    Re: New bike with white grease on chain
    Reply #1 on: February 12, 2024, 02:38:22 am
    February 12, 2024, 02:38:22 am
    *Originally Posted by Spyderman [+]
    What's everyone do with the grease on a new bike chain. I'm thinking it might be easier to clean it off the chain before it flings all over the bike. Then lube it up with what I'm going to be using on a regular basis.

    It will soon go dark....you'll get a bit of fling-off no matter how much you wipe off.

    Smithy.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

  • Offline sipaldi   england

    • XR Pro  ‐    171
    • ***
      #2

    Offline sipaldi

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 171
    • Bike: SPORT SE HP
    • Country: england
    Re: New bike with white grease on chain
    Reply #2 on: February 12, 2024, 08:19:02 am
    February 12, 2024, 08:19:02 am
      Just wipe the chain occasionally with gear oil and a rag. No need for any super fancy aerosols etc as the chains are sealed. You are basically stopping the steel rusting, that's all.
    Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 04:18:19 pm by sipaldi

  • Offline Mareng1   gb

    • XR God  ‐    1828
    • *****
      #3

    Offline Mareng1

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 1828
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Town: Cumbria
    • Country: gb
    Re: New bike with white grease on chain
    Reply #3 on: February 12, 2024, 08:45:08 am
    February 12, 2024, 08:45:08 am
    *Originally Posted by sipaldi [+]
      Just wipe the chain occasionally with engine oil and a rag. No need for any super fancy aerosols etc as the chains are sealed. You are basically stopping the steel rusting, that's all.

    You don't consider the differential movement of the chain rollers on the sprocket.

  • Offline Spyderman   us

    • XR Member  ‐    20
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • #4

    Offline Spyderman

    • XR Member
    • **
    • Topic Author
    • Posts: 20
    • Bike: F900R & S1000XR
    • Town: Maine
    • Country: us
    Re: New bike with white grease on chain
    Reply #4 on: February 12, 2024, 10:39:52 am
    February 12, 2024, 10:39:52 am
    Thanks for the replys. Something else I noticed about the white grease it's covering up the beautiful gold chain. I may have to clean it just for appearance.

  • Online garyculb   us

    • XR Pro  ‐    270
    • ***
      #5

    Online garyculb

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 270
    • Doc
    • Bike: 2021 XR Sport
    • Town: Sumter, SC
    • Country: us
    Re: New bike with white grease on chain
    Reply #5 on: February 12, 2024, 01:28:37 pm
    February 12, 2024, 01:28:37 pm
    *Originally Posted by Spyderman [+]
    Thanks for the replys. Something else I noticed about the white grease it's covering up the beautiful gold chain. I may have to clean it just for appearance.

    Spiderman,

     OEM Factory Grease. I use regular Kerosene to clean. Then, consider Chain Wax. My preferance is DuPont Teflon Chain-Saver Waxed Based Lubricant from Amazon. Don't want Grease going everywhere.

    Best,

    Doc :084: :028:
    2021 XR Sport

  • Offline sipaldi   england

    • XR Pro  ‐    171
    • ***
      #6

    Offline sipaldi

    • XR Pro
    • ***
    • Posts: 171
    • Bike: SPORT SE HP
    • Country: england
    Re: New bike with white grease on chain
    Reply #6 on: February 12, 2024, 04:27:34 pm
    February 12, 2024, 04:27:34 pm
    *Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]
    You don't consider the differential movement of the chain rollers on the sprocket.

       Anything sprayed on the chain rollers is squished away almost immediately, including gear oil/engine oil which I prefer to use.

       I once did buy all the expensive oils and waxes, probably still have several tins in the garage (all the top rated ones from the magazines). I would cover my chain with them and then spend hours cleaning all the grit off a few hundred miles later. I also found my chain would still be rusty after standing all winter in the Garage no matter how much wax I sprayed on. Neither happens with a good rub of oil.
       Not trying to be a smart arse here BTW, what folk do with their chains is their business.  :001:

  • Offline Mareng1   gb

    • XR God  ‐    1828
    • *****
      #7

    Offline Mareng1

    • XR God
    • *****
    • Posts: 1828
    • Bike: S1000XR
    • Town: Cumbria
    • Country: gb
    Re: New bike with white grease on chain
    Reply #7 on: February 12, 2024, 04:37:12 pm
    February 12, 2024, 04:37:12 pm
    *Originally Posted by sipaldi [+]
       Anything sprayed on the chain rollers is squished away almost immediately, including gear oil/engine oil which I prefer to use.

       I once did buy all the expensive oils and waxes, probably still have several tins in the garage (all the top rated ones from the magazines). I would cover my chain with them and then spend hours cleaning all the grit off a few hundred miles later. I also found my chain would still be rusty after standing all winter in the Garage no matter how much wax I sprayed on. Neither happens with a good rub of oil.
       Not trying to be a smart arse here BTW, what folk do with their chains is their business.  :001:

    well, that’s a swing and a miss……………..