Author Gen 1 S1000XR Refresh  (Read 468 times)

• Offline bropane   us

• XR Member  ‐    30
    • Topic Author

Offline bropane

• XR Member
    • Topic Author
    • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
    • Town: Los Angeles
    Gen 1 S1000XR Refresh
    on: February 13, 2024, 01:41:11 am
    February 13, 2024, 01:41:11 am
    Hey folks, I'm doing a refresh of my 2016 S1000XR. I have a couple things on order already but I'd like to get some feedback on some decisions that I haven't made up my mind on. To start, the bike has 34K miles and is starting to feel a bit clapped out. My first set of mods are the suspension and braking system. I've already swapped the pads to SBS sintered pads previously which I like but I've always hated the feel of the front MC since day one. I have a Brembo RCS19 on order with an axial to radial adapter. Next I have a Nitron R3 shock with Adreani cartridges for the front. Everything will be sprung to 230 lbs. The questions I have are:

Should I upgrade the steering damper?
    Are there any instructions for how to fake the ESA with power resistors?
    Are aftermarket air filters such as the Sprint filter worth it for the Gen 1?

Thanks!

• Offline smithy   au

• XR God  ‐    2658

Offline smithy

• XR God
    • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
    • Town: Brisvegas.
    Re: Gen 1 S1000XR Refresh
    Reply #1 on: February 13, 2024, 04:59:08 am
    February 13, 2024, 04:59:08 am
    *Originally Posted by bropane [+]
    Hey folks, I'm doing a refresh of my 2016 S1000XR. I have a couple things on order already but I'd like to get some feedback on some decisions that I haven't made up my mind on. To start, the bike has 34K miles and is starting to feel a bit clapped out. My first set of mods are the suspension and braking system. I've already swapped the pads to SBS sintered pads previously which I like but I've always hated the feel of the front MC since day one. I have a Brembo RCS19 on order with an axial to radial adapter. Next I have a Nitron R3 shock with Adreani cartridges for the front. Everything will be sprung to 230 lbs. The questions I have are:

Should I upgrade the steering damper?
    Are there any instructions for how to fake the ESA with power resistors?
    Are aftermarket air filters such as the Sprint filter worth it for the Gen 1?Thanks!

I have not comment for the suspension other than you can get a "dongle" for the D-ESA system so manual suspension can be fitted. I believe Wilbers do an electronic shock for them too.

With the air filter, the stock filter is very good....many of the older Gen-1 BMW RR superbike race teams even use the stock filter, it's that good.

Smithy.
    When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!