Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Leaving Ducati for BMW XR!  (Read 2074 times)

Offline xlr8tion

• XR Junior
  • Bike: Diavel/1098S
  • Town: South Carolina
Leaving Ducati for BMW XR!
« on: September 10, 2016, 01:45:21 AM »
Where to start?  Been plagued with the gremlins of Ducatis for too long and took a ride one day on a S1000R....

Never thought of BMW as they are generally out of my price range once I sit on a 27K+ bike,

Anywho....I am tiriing of quirkiness related to the "soul" of Ducatis...They like to be in the shop alot.  ALOT.

So I am buying a 2016 XR and not looking back!

Found one about 12 hours away and  used a BMW vin decoder to elicit this info on the bike,,
------------------------------------------------------------------
   Type code    0D13

Type    S1000XR US (USA)

Dev. series    K49 ()

Line    K

Body type    

Steering    

Door count    0

Engine    A14

Cubical capacity    1.00

Power    118

Transmision    KET

Gearbox    MECH

Colour    RACINGRED UNI (NA5)

Upholstery    NICHT GEMELDET (0000)

Prod. date    2015-09-29

Order options
   No.    Description
   182    SA DTC

191    DYNAMIC ESA

222    SHIFT ASSISTANT PRO

224    DRIVING MODE PRO

272    PREP NAVIGATION SYSTEM

5AC    ABS PRO

519    SA HTD HANDLES

538    CRUISE CONTROL

589    SA HANDGUARD

636    SA CENTER STAND

665    SA LUGGAGE SUPPORT

681    SA SUITCASE HOLDER LH RH

Series options
   No.    Description
   326    SU SPEEDOMETER MPH
---------------------------------------------------------------

It has the tank bag and the Motorrad V GPS/Tank Bag/Center Stand as well as a few Dealer options I probably forgot....

Anyway I am going to dispatch a cycle  mechanic from the City it is located in as I do not want travel 12 hours to find it misrepresented.

From the little I know about XR's is has the Standard and Premium with some other extras...I think the build sheet was about 20 989 with which included 495 destination fee...The bike has just under 1000 miles and has a warranty til 4/2019

Can't wait to ride instead of waiting for my Ducati's to get out of the shop....September is hades month as Ducati is SHUT DOWN!

Anyway thanks for having me on the forum and hope to learn a lot from you intrepid forum members!

Cheers....Greg :001:

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
Re: Leaving Ducati for BMW XR!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 09:30:15 PM »
 :400: Greg,
A good choice all round, Dukes look nice stationary...end of, I cant say ive seen many actually moving on the road and NON have ever passed me  :150:.
Red is best by far, common but just looks the dogs, white I think blends in so i'm told but aint seen one yet, well I didn't notice it if I did... :164:
I'm sure you'll love it, very unlikely to see the BM mechanic unless its by your choice , enjoy and post up some pic's when it lands  :152:
Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.

Offline xlr8tion

• XR Junior
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 11:07:48 PM »
Thanks Gats!

You are 100% correct on them looking good stationary! LOL....My Triumph Rocket was infinitely more reliable than these Dukes...So I am very excited, at age 54, to get my XR-not to start a BMW/Ducati fight but this bike is better easily than the Multistrada and the GS...

It reminded me of an "adventure Sportbike" as I have done some serious track riding on 1198s and CBR's and the XR's electronic suite is just phenomenal!  What a bike!  I imagine this suits the weather well over on your side of the pond...We do not see many XR riders yet as I think a total of about 5xxx XR's were sold this year.

I read somewhere it is BMWs second  or third best selling bike already!

I can see why! I am selling my Ducati Diavel once I get this as this bike does it all-no need for a cruiser when the XR is strikingly fast and agile.....

Ride safe and thanks for having me  on the forum!

Cheers....

Greg in South Carolina

PS...Do you have a Bursig stand yet for your XR..?  Its about 300 quid.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 11:13:41 PM by xlr8tion »

Offline PL2112

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Canterbury
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 11:34:09 AM »
 :400:
Well I recently made the same change from a Ducati Multistrada to an XR and I’m sure you will enjoy it.
I chose the XR over the latest DVT Multistrada because I think the XR has taken over as the upright sports-bike of choice whereas the DVT Multi has become more civilised and sensible.  Who’d have thought it a Ducati more sensible than a BMW!
I’m enjoying the XR but have to take issue with some of the anti-Ducati comments.  In 4 ½ years on the Multistrada I had very few problems apart from recurring fuel sender failure (2 replaced FOC without quibble outside warranty) and I have an early 916 with 36,000 miles showing on the clock that still runs like a watch.  Ever talk to a few high mileage GS owners about the reliability of their shaft drive?  And among my biking pals the only machine to go home from Europe on a recovery trailer was an F800 GS.
As for all this about the XR being waaaay quicker than a Multi I’m not so sure.  The IL4 in the XR is buzzy and frantic and feels like you are going fast all the time, but the V-Twin deceives you into thinking you are going slow when you actually aren’t.

By the way - Grey / White / Red (the classy one) is best  :152:

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 06:07:46 PM »
I'm not getting into this colour 'best' issue but will say that BMW use a red one to advertise the bike, I see red ones, we have a little  :305: one here, the forums is red, a lot of reviews on utube are red..but like I say, i'm not getting into this colour issue stuff... :164:

Quite happy with the centre stand Greg, not one for doing lots of tinkering as I cant see what would improve it for my personal tastes, still early days though, been 6 months to the day almost.. :821:
Therapy...

Offline spannerman35

• XR Junior
  • In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: cheshire
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 10:09:11 PM »
I had a Ducati Multistrada DVT, it cost me a fortune new and has been by far the worst bike I have ever owned. It broke down even on the first day of ownership with just 27 miles on the clock. After its tenth breakdown plus loads of other issues it went back to the dealer and I told them I was going to buy an XR. Their reply was 'Good reliable bikes those XR's'......LOL

Offline xlr8tion

• XR Junior
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2016, 10:36:38 PM »
Yes the DVT was a horrible thing to do to the 1198 Testraretta 11..Big power dip in the middle..watch this vid..

The XR just SMOKES THE STRADA in everything...Its a hilarious Cycle world vid that just SHAMES THE STRADA!

IMO the XR is the best all around jack of all trades and will someday eclipse the GS!

Cheers.....Greg

PS..Mine is in transport...Does the Navi lock in to the plate like the GS? I hope the Motorrad V GPS does not fall off...... :004:

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 10:11:30 PM »

Pretty conclusive video really which its no shocker, the BM is taking the market by storm.

A chat with a Honda dealer revealed that the company have not made a new CBR600RR since March 2016, the figures for selling Super sports are well down across the UK, again no shocker, this will redefine what people want and the power to go with it, plenty out there similar but not got the power or looks for me.
Therapy...

dysfunctional