Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: key  (Read 1921 times)

Offline s1imster

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr se
  • Town: bewdley
key
« on: September 12, 2016, 07:17:31 PM »
i was out yesterday and called into cross gates for a brew ,as i went to remove key from ignition the silver part of the key with my house and garage keys on was missing.i checked to see if they had wedged in under  by my tank bag but no so i went back to Kington, where i had stopped earlier to  change my gloves.but no luck, anyway i was in need of a leak and as got off the bike i saw that they had lodged themselves in between the radiator  cap and side panel  :046: i called my dealer and they said that it has happened before and advise not to put other keys on with the ignition key the metal part had come unriveted, it looks very cheap for a expensive bike.so beware
fix it till its broke

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
Re: key
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 08:03:55 PM »
German engineering lost its thread along time ago, they're good at design and development but build / part sourcing leaves a lot to be desired.
One can only hope they learn from it.., so off I go to look at my key !

cheers  :028:
Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.

Offline mahseve33

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Cheshire
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 01:26:36 PM »
Thanks for that s1imster. Useful warning.
Gatsoburners right, finish and materials have gone downhill.
I was at a local dealer recently listening to an irate K 1300S owner berating a service guy regarding his apathetic response to the complaint of a discoloured and rusting centre stand. The bike was less than 6 months old.
My last GS had premature rust spots, and although the S1XR has shown any, the lessened quality of finish is apparent.

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 07:17:37 PM »

My key is all good, only have the light plastic garage fob for the door on it so no pressure, be keeping an eye on it though
Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.

Offline Troppo

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2016, 07:38:59 AM »
Very useful warning.  Thanks.

Offline ROBGGT

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cardiff
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 06:07:50 PM »
This happened to me yesterday. I got home from a ride to find the middle part of the key missing. All I had on there was a dealer keyring and a small lock key. Thankfully the code part of the key is not contained in the middle part that flew off. I only bought the bike the day before and Dealer said not heard of this before and said another key would be about £30 (great thanks!).  What I guess he didn't mention was the cost to 're code a new key...does anyone know how much they charge to 're code' Thanks Rob