Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Group riding ?  (Read 10614 times)

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
Group riding ?
« on: September 12, 2016, 08:30:19 PM »
A subject which sometimes brings fear and fun depending on who's out.

I've had bikes a fair few years now and enjoy blasting out with mates, the pecking order settled for some reason by establishing who's quick and slow, confident or not, quick n progressive up front, slow and frightening behind !
I raise this topic due to a recent ride out with 6 bikes, 2 XR's, a KTM 1000, Bm 800, SV650 and a Bm K1300, ages range for early 50's to mid 30's.

The XR's went up font mainly due to me having the sat nav, KTM and other XR swapped about, K, Bm then SV, we did about 160 miles over 5 hrs mainly on A and B roads mainly national speeds on a weekday in semi rural areas.

No incidents and all good until I spoke to the SV rider the next day who was tail end Charlie, he couldn't over state how many near misses the K and Bm 800 had, many many overtakes trying to stay with the lead bikes and diving in pretty much immediately once we clear cars always pushing where there wasn't an overtake 'being on'.

Why is it we feel the need to run as such, yes overtaking and making progress is what I think bikes are about, 99% of the time its done and nobody else on the road is inconvenienced or aware you've done it or about too if done right. The SV rider said the other bikes overtook then forced their way into gaps due to oncoming traffic, caused cars to brake etc, for me that's a failure in riding skill, over the past 8 years 4 people have had an 'off' on their own whilst ive been out with them trying to be quick where quick isn't the pace to do where they were, so, whats the answer here, it just spoils my ride when this happens to the point I more often than not go out alone  :084:

Ones thoughts if you please..
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 08:33:27 PM by Gatsoburner »
Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.

Offline Troppo

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
Re: Group riding ?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 11:14:08 PM »
I only ride with people I know very well....

Offline Binky

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr
  • Town: Farnham
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 07:14:06 AM »
I know exactly what you mean Gatso. I am a member of an IAM group that shall remain nameless. On the whole I have found it very worthwhile and learned loads of good riding tips etc but on some of the mentored sessions have seen some really close ones eg Kawa1400 GTR overtaking so close to oncoming traffic the car braked and flashed its lights...I thought the guy would get a bollocking but nothing was said, another time a guy who had passed his test a few months back riding in a sixty, at sixty, trying to keep up with instructor, hit a corner that panicked him almost off and evidentially three people off on group ride outs in last 6 months. Bearing in mind that the max speed limit is exactly what it means...why not do 55 or 60 whatever you are more comfortable with ...what's the big deal? I ride at my own pace, normal when I'm relaxed or just cant be arsed or fast when I know it's absolutely clear, no cops and great visibility and road conditions. I've only had 2 offs first one on My FS1E and second on My GP125 both pre 19 years old, I'm 52 ...luck, sensible riding, something else...who knows? The other day I did a track day on my RT...which was great fun but we had 2 carted off to hospital ( nothing dreadful, broken arms etc) both from " Advanced Group". I think that it's all about riding within your capabilities and safety bubble. That's my tuppenthworth.
S1000XR - 2016
R1200RTLE - 2015

Offline Binky

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr
  • Town: Farnham
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 07:19:40 AM »
Sorry forgot to add..group riding is always going to bring out a competitive streak, human nature, which is why I don't do it so much plus my wife would whinge that she couldn't take me to garden centres coz I would be out with my mates!
S1000XR - 2016
R1200RTLE - 2015

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 08:49:07 AM »
I avoid riding in groups for all the reasons stated. What's annoying is coming across a big group when you're out on your own. On Sunday, there were about 30 bikes in front, riding terribly, but I managed to get past them all safely, even though some of them were quite angry at being overtaken! :008:

Offline PL2112

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Canterbury
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 11:49:06 AM »
I avoid riding in large groups and I’m VERY careful about who I ride with if I don’t know them.
Back in 1989 I experienced the worst possible outcome of what is being discussed here.
A large group including some I knew well and some I didn’t went to the French GP at Le Mans, I was leading the group home on N & D roads.  One of the inexperienced guys near the back who I had only met for the first time on the trip tried a dodgy overtake, hit an oncoming agricultural vehicle and lost his life at the roadside.  Even though I didn’t know him well it was one of the most traumatic experiences of my life and one I never want to repeat.  I tortured myself for ages that maybe it  was my fault for setting a too fast pace.
A few years later on a trip with two friends I rode with regularly one of them invited a couple of his mates at the last minute.  As soon as we got off the ferry in Calais the two newcomers were riding like absolute maniacs including overtaking on the hard shoulder.  By the time we got to Boulogne I was thinking I don’t want to ride with these guys so when they took a wrong turning I carried on thinking I would just meet them at the hotel.  I made it, they didn’t.  One of them crashed into the back of the other on a French AutoRoute resulting in one losing a foot followed by a big falling out and lengthy court case as they each tried to blame the other.  Never again.
As Binky said for some people there is always a competitive side even though there are no prizes, so since then I try to keep to 3 or 4 max and only guys I know and trust.  As a result I’ve been on countless incident free trips and rides.
One of the things I always try to impress on younger or less experienced riders is that if you are getting home and excitedly regaling people with tales of close shaves, scrapes and near misses then you are doing it all wrong and riding way above your limits.  You should be getting home and thinking what an enjoyable ride you had.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 01:25:55 PM »
Ride in a group?? I'd rather have my finger nails pulled out that would be far more fun,come up behind a group it's always the same slowest at the back Mr Alpha leader at the front,work your way through till you get to alpha leader your dissing him when you overtake so he chases you till he realises all his mates are way behind and then slows down and you can carry on your merry way.

As my wife always points out 'Are the majority of bikers gay or do they just marry the wrong one' when you see these groups of single blokes both here and abroad but they are always Brits.

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 02:44:21 PM »
How do you know they are single Winger ? Maybe their wives trust them and they are allowed off the leash now and then :-)

I agree about riding in big groups, I would rather poke pins in my eyes.

I do however have about 3 or 4 mates I enjoy going out with. All of us want to go home at the end of the day so we all ride our own ride. We have things in place to help if we get lost split up etc.

When I see a train of 30 bikes going up an alpine pass, I cringe and think how much they are missing out on, by not getting out there on their own.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 03:31:24 PM »
Marry the right one you don't need letting off the leash and I say that after being married 37 years  :002:

Sadly motorcycling has gone from a way of life to fancy dress of a weekend the days are long gone of building up a decent motorcycling CV,hence the classic 'All the gear no idea' which I've always thought rather cruel but increasing factual sadly.

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 03:41:11 PM »
Yep but in terms of being right for being on the back of my bike she would have to be 2kg :-)

There are people who have not ridden since 16 who are good riders though. Its just about having the right attitude.

I don't ride every day in fact most of my miles are either touring or doing trackdays.

I am not fast but I am not slow, but my highest priority on any ride is getting home safe, not riding faster than my mate !!!

Edited to add

It may not be a way of life for me but I love my bikes. I am so excited I am off to Spain on Friday. I just love exploring on the bike. It unfair to say its wrong if people don't ride in all weather and turn up everywhere smelling like a wet dog !!!

« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 03:46:13 PM by bazzer »

dysfunctional