Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 54 miles from home...........  (Read 2117 times)

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
54 miles from home...........
« on: September 21, 2016, 01:42:31 PM »
It wasn't dark, i wasn't wearing sunglasses, i did have half a packet of cigarettes and a full tank of big bang fuel.......

Bear with me now ........

My dealer of choice is just outside Grimsby and I live in Doncaster and I always have a choice of 40 miles of motorway to get to the dealer or 54 miles of NE Lincolnshire twisty roads to get there.

I invariably choose to get there on the motorway but coming back is a different matter all together.

Some days everything just seems perfect and today was one of those days. The route home typical Lincolnshire roads, straights with 90 degree series of bends at the end and lots of them. no fast sweepers just big stop and tip it in corners and then blast it out !

Today i rode like the God of all Hooligans, not my smoothest ride but oh so much fun, red lining through the gears and then hard on the brakes with the shifter snickety snicking down, keeping the revs high to torture the tyre and come out of the corner oh so fast chuck a gear or 2 at it until the next corner dictates a repeat of the previous one. again and again scraping the edges of my boots feeling the bike begging me to ride harder and faster.

Jesus i love this bike so much and for me it is just the best bike in the world I could not have gone faster on a fire blade ( maybe a little bit but you know what i mean) it was one of those days ...

The upshot of this is that including the section through the middle of Gainsborough and a few moments at a train crossing and other assorted 30MPH zones ( i always obey them)  I averaged 56MPH over the 54 miles which, and I am prepared to take some stick here, Makes the XR a very fast bike. No doubt some with more talent or bravery than me  could have gone quicker but I enjoyed myself  :001: :001:
You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline S1000XR

• Forum Help & Support
  • XR Pro
Re: 54 miles from home...........
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 02:22:27 PM »
Sounds like one of those "nirvana" rides that drags you back for more  :152:

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 03:18:29 PM »

:008: :008:, I know what you mean about the bike just begging for it and finding it hard not too..but where did you get 56mph average from ?   :008: :008:
Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2016, 03:59:07 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gatsoburner [+]
:008: :008:, I know what you mean about the bike just begging for it and finding it hard not too..but where did you get 56mph average from ?   :008: :008:

In the trip computer Scroll through and there is MPG etc and av speed after all the mileage stuff

Also the sat nav has the figures which are the same for overall average but higher for moving average

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 04:48:16 PM »

Did you reset it then before tearing up the queens highway ?, i'm just thinking it seems a bit low.  :084:
Therapy...

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 04:58:23 PM »
 :460:
Did you reset it then before tearing up the queens highway ?, i'm just thinking it seems a bit low.  :084:

Unless I am on a big trip I do the full re set on the bike when i fill it up ! Sad I know but hey ho when on a bigish trip i only re set the trip 1

As for a bit low I am not going to rise to it  :001:

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 07:02:36 PM »
 :008: :008:

Yes I always reset number 1 mileage counter, always have done with bikes which I guess stems from our older bikes when you knew you'd get so may miles per tank.

So, average 56mph...mmm... I've ripped the arse out of mine a few times and that's returned a 46mph average which is nice to see, rip the wifes Audi and its 20 odd, super fuel stuff may do better then...
Therapy...

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 07:07:20 PM »
:008: :008:

Yes I always reset number 1 mileage counter, always have done with bikes which I guess stems from our older bikes when you knew you'd get so may miles per tank.

So, average 56mph...mmm... I've ripped the arse out of mine a few times and that's returned a 46mph average which is nice to see, rip the wifes Audi and its 20 odd, super fuel stuff may do better then...

On our last scotland trip which was about 1400 miles with only about 90 of those on a motorway we returned average speed of 47 mph which was verified by both mine and mates NAV 5

I did impress myself with 56 TBH and to do that i was doing way way over 100 anywhere it was possible

dysfunctional