Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: I dropped bolts in exhaust  (Read 1650 times)

Offline Andyboy75

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Enfield
I dropped bolts in exhaust
« on: September 25, 2016, 05:14:06 PM »
Hi guys! I have problem.could be someone can give me useful advice.
I dropped a small bolts into exhaust.i took off the can.but i can't find it.i tried with magnet as well.nothing.i think bolts went straight bottom of drum.i dont dare start the engine.
Any idea or advice
Thank you so much

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
Re: I dropped bolts in exhaust
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 06:05:25 PM »
Hey first of all DOH# :111:

Second I would say it unlikely they would get into the engine, it's more likely that the they are stuck in the box, so what can you do?

Personally I'd take off the exhaust and see if I could shake them out.  It may take some time but better than the very remote chance they course some damage, it's just as likely if you start the engine up with the end can off they'll fire out BUT I'd still take the exhaust off.

Having done hundreds of engine rebuilds on two strokes, best if a little late bit of advice, "always cover anything where anything could drop into". 

For some reason bolts washers and nuts follow the laws of quantum mechanics EG they can be in two places at once in your hand and down the crank case or alive and or dead if it's a cat in a box! LOL!! 

Good of luck!
After over thirty years behind the bars, I’ve still not done it all or seen it all.

https://www.youtube.com/user/emmanuelgoldstein1

Offline Andyboy75

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Enfield
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 07:24:26 PM »
Hi Gazk!
Thank you so much! Could be i wrote this post in wrong place.sorry for it.
The bolt was stainless steel.magnet didint work.but one electric cable with hook and chewing gum done the job.
Many thanks again

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 08:02:36 AM »
 :152: Sweet glad you got it sorted :152:
After over thirty years behind the bars, I’ve still not done it all or seen it all.

https://www.youtube.com/user/emmanuelgoldstein1