Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Did you know they sell Ultimate diesel in the UK. I do.....now!  (Read 3975 times)

Offline mahseve33

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Cheshire
Did you know they sell Ultimate diesel in the UK. I do.....now!
« on: October 06, 2016, 08:12:38 PM »
No real excuses. Near the end of a long ride, bit wearly. Pump label same colour, didn't smell it, = tank full of deisel :005: Made it about a mile down the motorway, three hours waiting for breakdown.
Net result...two days in garage. £194 + £18 lost diesel.  :084:

Offline Troppo

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
Re: Did you know they sell Ultimate diesel in the UK. I do.....now!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 03:43:02 AM »
Oh no......your poor bastard!

:159:

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 07:58:14 AM »
Stopped on the M42 about 18 months ago for a guy on the hard shoulder on a brand new GS who had just filled up at the services doing the same offered him and the bike a lift but he'd already called the breakdown.

Offline mahseve33

• XR Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 08:43:38 AM »
Respect to you Winger. Busy Sunday on the motorway, in the three hours wait goodness knows how many bikes past, only one guy on old Yam with a sidecar  bothered to stop for a welfare check.
I always try and stop when it looks like something is out of place with a biker.
Biking fraternity eh?
The bill was increased by the cost of the spark plugs NGK LMAR9D-J, which  we were pretty messed up.   Prices on the net vary from £10.50p each (though the picture wasn't the plug) to £17.60.
My mechanic (good, honest guy) paid £17ish for them, from a reputable supplier, to guarantee AM delivery next day.
But when service is due might worth supplying your own, particularly if going to a BM dealer.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 12:18:52 PM »
Trouble with diesel because it's heavier sinks to the bottom of the tank and once you have turned the ignition on and it goes to the pump your stuffed.

As for picking up broken down bikes,came across a young couple on the M6 must be 2 years back on an old ZZR1100,I used to move bikes for the press for some years and still carry a full width ramp in the sprinter,pull up takes 2 minutes to tie the bike down and off we go,even though it was 60 miles from were they lived they were local to me so they got home 20 minutes later than if they'd been on the bike spent more time arguing over money because they wanted to pay and I didn't want it  :015:

Offline PL2112

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Canterbury
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 08:08:57 PM »
@Mahseve33
You have my sympathy!  I recently done the same, fortunately I filled up at a station on the other side of town. Probably a couple of miles and unbelievably it just started to run rough as I turned into my drive.  I was able to syphon out the piesel (or is it detrol) myself and get it started after a bit of cranking and re-charging the battery.  Been running fine since and only cost me £19 for the wasted diesel.
Nobody believes me that the pump didn't say diesel anywhere just Ultimate +.  Needless to say I'm more careful now!

Offline mahseve33

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 08:17:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by PL2112 [+]
@Mahseve33
You have my sympathy!  I recently done the same, fortunately I filled up at a station on the other side of town. Probably a couple of miles and unbelievably it just started to run rough as I turned into my drive.  I was able to syphon out the piesel (or is it detrol) myself and get it started after a bit of cranking and re-charging the battery.  Been running fine since and only cost me £19 for the wasted diesel.
Nobody believes me that the pump didn't say diesel anywhere just Ultimate +. 
Needless to say I'm more careful now

You lucky bu***r. My man did the same,sucked the tank out, no joy. Had to strip it down. Pumped petrol direct in, no joy. Cleaned all out fuel rail and injectors, no joy. Only when plugs changed did it fire up.

Offline Dazman76

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR S SE
  • Town: Melton Mowbray
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 08:35:34 PM »
Do you guys all use ultimate petrol then as opposed to normal petrol?

Offline mahseve33

• XR Member
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 08:43:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by Dazman76 [+]
Do you guys all use ultimate petrol then as opposed to normal petrol?

Yup, for my part. It's recommended by BMW. Whether or not the benefits are worth it.
My mech reckons if you use ordinary 95ron the performance loses it zip won't run as efficiently. Whether or not it can cause problems short or long term I don't know. Personally I just stick with the guidelines.

Offline Dazman76

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR S SE
  • Town: Melton Mowbray
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 08:48:02 PM »
I didnt know that see you learn something new everyday on here :028:

dysfunctional