Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Akrapovic Headers with alternative Silencer  (Read 2436 times)

Offline Robbieben

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Durham
Akrapovic Headers with alternative Silencer
« on: October 12, 2016, 09:15:53 PM »
Akrapovic Headers have arrived today, still undecided on which silencer to fit as yet but will run with the stock one while I make up my mind.
I've read plenty about mapping after fitting etc etc but according to my dealer there is no need as the ECU will adjust to suit as the lambda sensors are still used on the Akrapovic Headers.
I may fit a Rapid Bike module in time if there are any issues with the fuelling when I'm riding the bike.

Offline jaybee59

• XR Junior
  • Faster fool!
  • Town: Reno, Nevada
Re: Akrapovic Headers with alternative Silencer
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 07:07:11 PM »
Fed Ex is delivering my Akapovic header today! It will hopefully bolt the the Remus Carbon Hexacone without too much trouble. I will take photos when done!
This is no difference, but a difference of degree, between degrees of difference, and no difference.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 09:31:16 PM »
Facinating reading threads like this,the ECU only has the ability to learn in closed loop hence why if you look at both Akra's website and Calsport they both tell you you need a fuelling device be it a PC or Rapid bike which do have the ability to learn or in my case I'm going the Rexxer route because that's what I know and most of the new maps knock the lamba out anyway because they spend too much time making the ECU chase its tail.

The headers I bought off a thread on here have been put into a box and the plan is run them with the MIVV can thats already on the bike and before even bothering with such I need to get it on the dyno for a base run but there's ones thing for sure apart from starting the bike up to make sure the headers are seated it'll only run with a full fat fuel map in it.

Offline jaybee59

• XR Junior
  • Faster fool!
  • Town: Reno, Nevada
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 01:14:37 AM »
Winger...I am not qualified to assess what potential damage I may do if I simply install the header and Hexacone. Please educate me...
Thanks in advance!
This is no difference, but a difference of degree, between degrees of difference, and no difference.

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 07:19:03 AM »
I would be very wary of these claims, that is will self adjust.

Do we know that the XR has wideband lambda sensors rather than the typical narrow band sensors found on vehicles.
Does the XR actually run closed loop (ie correcting) at wide open throttle, most systems don't.

As for damage running lean can cause pre-iginition and very hot combustion temperatures which at extremes can melt pistons or valves.

From what people have said on here who have had their bikes on a dyno and the air fuel ratio measured, these bikes run pretty lean to start with.

Get a dyno run done locally at least you will know then.

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 12:25:57 PM »
Threads like this can waffle on forever,cutting the story as short as possible my old Tiger runs the Triumph aftermarket tune via Tune ECU which could be a separate thread on its own two others run Power Commanders and the K1200 I have uses a Rexxer map.

At one time or another I have run those bikes in various configurations but in my time in motorcyclingI have never come across a warning from an aftermarket exhaust manufacturer saying that you need an aftermarket fuelling device Akra are the very best and if that is what they are saying I take notice.

30/40 years ago I wouldn't have given a toss and ignored it!!!but over the years I've seen plenty of folk burn motors and this XR is no low spec Jap engine and even taking Akra's advice BM are never going to stand by the warranty in a million years so mine won't be turning a wheel untill it has a map in it to match the headers.

Offline jb102

• XR Junior
  • Town: KT22
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 07:08:11 PM »
Hill Top Motorcycles are worth talking to. They don't half know their onions.

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2016, 09:06:05 PM »
Oh blimey we've been there already.

Offline Troppo

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 05:10:59 AM »
 :008: