Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: XR Daytime Running Lights - fitted or not ?  (Read 11020 times)

Offline West is Best

• XR Junior
  • Town: Bristol
XR Daytime Running Lights - fitted or not ?
« on: June 17, 2015, 10:08:44 AM »
I've heard that there's some confusion over whether the daytime running lights are being fitted. Was under the impression that were fitted as standard  :027:

If so is it a supply problem on new bikes or are they extra? Anyone got any up to date info on this  :261:

If you've just taking delivery did your bike comes with them ?

Offline Shado

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW R Nine T
  • Town: Jersey CI
Re: XR Daytime Running Lights - fitted or not ?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 09:11:35 PM »
Hi west is best, I can confirm that the pre release date demo bikes I have seen, and that's three now, have not come with the daylight running light installed , instead there is just a piece of plastic blanking that area where it should be, that said , it is not an optional extra or an accessory it should be fitted as standard, I receive my bike tomorrow and no doubt it will be the same, not happy about it I got to say as I am sure most of us would be the same, that said on the other forum one of the members got offered £200 discount for the fact that it was missing.
I will be getting the dealer to order one FOC.
The light alone to by without all the extra fittings is over 300 euros. :232: I love lamp  :305:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 09:14:34 PM by Shado »
In Life there is no reverse, ride it like you stole it!

Offline Shado

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 10:12:16 PM »
To get an idea of what it looks like there's one on Ebay.

Offline fasttrak

• XR Pro
  • Chasing sunsets at 90 MPH.
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Morgan Hill
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 10:48:06 PM »
I actually did not notice or think of it until I was gearing up to leave the dealership. I say to the sales rep, "Oh yeah, wonder how that led works?". She gives me a blank stare. Move around to the front of the bike and realize, just plastic with no daytime running light...

Offline Shado

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 11:38:26 PM »
The riders manual states the the daylight running light. Is OE as it does with all of the bling on the sport SE version, in my mind on that model it should be fitted, waiting for dealer to confirm  :305:

Offline Grizzly

• XR Junior
  • Town: Paignton
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 10:05:44 PM »
Hi Guys,
Pick up my new XR Sport SE on Saturday (27/06/15). Red....of course!!
I've been chasing my dealer on this point and I hear today that the story goes something like this. Some numpty at BMW filled in all the forms to order the first batch of XR's from the factory and forgot to tick the box for the led running light!! My dealer today offered me a £300 discount or a correctly specced bike in July. Obviously I want my bike ASAP but I was concerned that it would end up getting known as one from the 'dodgy first batch' so was pleased when my dealer came back to me later in the day to advise that BMW will be supplying a retro fitting kit to their dealers in around 2 weeks time to be fitted free of charge at the first service.

Other questions not answered:-
1) Why do BMW not help their UK customers by ensuring their alarm systems are insurance approved in the UK?
2) Why am I being charged £210 for an alarm that is standard factory fitted?
3) Do the electronics include anti wheelie control?
4) It seems the fabled Dynamic Pro riding mode is only available after the first service by dongle...?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 10:07:20 PM by grizzly.1970 »

Offline fasttrak

• XR Pro
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 11:15:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by Grizzly [+]
Hi Guys,
Pick up my new XR Sport SE on Saturday (27/06/15). Red....of course!!
I've been chasing my dealer on this point and I hear today that the story goes something like this. Some numpty at BMW filled in all the forms to order the first batch of XR's from the factory and forgot to tick the box for the led running light!! My dealer today offered me a £300 discount or a correctly specced bike in July. Obviously I want my bike ASAP but I was concerned that it would end up getting known as one from the 'dodgy first batch' so was pleased when my dealer came back to me later in the day to advise that BMW will be supplying a retro fitting kit to their dealers in around 2 weeks time to be fitted free of charge at the first service.

Interesting and might have to press my dealer to see if they will cut me some discount for ordering it after the fact. I have a feeling the answer will probably be no.

*Originally Posted by Grizzly [+]
Other questions not answered:-
1) Why do BMW not help their UK customers by ensuring their alarm systems are insurance approved in the UK?
2) Why am I being charged £210 for an alarm that is standard factory fitted?
3) Do the electronics include anti wheelie control?
4) It seems the fabled Dynamic Pro riding mode is only available after the first service by dongle...?

1) Not sure, mine is an SE but there was no alarm included and I did order one. None in the US so is being shipped from BMW Europe.
2) It is still an optioned item, my bike came with the two major packages and the alarm was not one of them.
3) I was handed the dongle that adds in the Riders Mode Pro, my local dealer said they were not able to update that as it would come with liability issues. Not sure if that is true but going to wait until after the first service. Some one else on here already dongled their bike at about 300 miles, so it can be done when ever you like. Heck, dongle it before you leave the dealers parking lot  :152:

Offline Shado

• XR Member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 06:43:14 AM »
I've dongled my bike and dynamic pro is available as a mode choice my dealer told me at the time that it was only the SE that was available pre launch to be demo'd so that's what I got, dynamic pro is not a fable, it is legendary  :005:  :028:  , as for the running light great info thank you. :063: going to have a word with the dealer  :192:  :305:

Offline Wookie

• XR Junior
  • Town: Marlow
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 05:04:20 PM »
When I picked mine up (SE) it was missing. Dealer originally said they decided not to fit them. Two days later they call to say that there was an issue at the factory and will fit it aftermarket or give me a credit. The DRL looks cool but does not provide as much visibility as the headlights being on. Think i might just have the credit.

Offline fasttrak

• XR Pro
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 09:19:06 PM »
I agree, it is not as a brite as I was hoping for. Rather see some one in the after market make a strip lite of Cree surface mount LED to peel the retinas off oncoming motorist  :008:

dysfunctional