Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: The best tyres.... The end .  (Read 10644 times)

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
The best tyres.... The end .
« on: October 13, 2016, 11:57:54 AM »
Had a set of Metzler roadtec 01 fitted before my jolly to the Picos and my findings are as follows

They are bloody brilliant !

Just done 2650 miles in 7 days of hard riding in the Picos and Pyrenees and I have ragged the tits off the XR full chat 2nd gear bends for mile after mile in the Picos ( Im sure you know what its like dear reader) and the roadtecs have been flawless never ever squirming even right at the edge under full load.Grip is so good. The little elephant on the edge of the tyre is gone on both sides !

and it gets better as with nearly 3K on thenm they look good for another 2K
You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
Re: The best tyres.... The end .
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 02:04:53 PM »
I got 2400miles out of a rear Roso III a week or so ago in the Picos.

I got 3800 out of the original T30

How can you get 5K out of a rear tire :-)

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 02:57:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by bazzer [+]
I got 2400miles out of a rear Roso III a week or so ago in the Picos.

I got 3800 out of the original T30

How can you get 5K out of a rear tire :-)
Mine came originally with Rosso 2s i got 2k out of the rear I switched to rosso 3s and was getting about the same as you 2  to 2.5 K. I never tried the T30

As said 260 miles in the Picos and Pyrenees and no squaring and loads of life left although it may be one of those tyres that just disapears in a few hundred miles towards the end.

If you think i was gentle on the bike or lilly livered think again as my average speed over 2600 miles on those roads with very little motorway was 49MPH for the trip

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 03:10:02 PM »
I was considering trying R7RR's after the Rosso III as when touring 2400miles is a ball ache and people have said the metzlers (R7RR) were good grip and good wear. However my mate killed a rear on his Speed Triple in under 3K.

I found the T30's OK but they did squirm a bit and didn't have the grip of the Rosso's

Might have a look at the roadtec's

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 03:34:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by bazzer [+]
I was considering trying R7RR's after the Rosso III as when touring 2400miles is a ball ache and people have said the metzlers (R7RR) were good grip and good wear. However my mate killed a rear on his Speed Triple in under 3K.

I found the T30's OK but they did squirm a bit and didn't have the grip of the Rosso's

Might have a look at the roadtec's

My partner in crime, so to speak on this trip, on his 1290 Superduke R has previously used the M7RR and liked them very much but also had a set of the roadtecs fitted  for this trip. His view was that the RR were a little faster steering than the roadtec but without going out of his way to Spin them up and out of shape Grip was as good or at least comparable in the dry and the little bit of wet we had they were way out in front and I concur on all counts.

The big problem with this bike ( if you count it as a problem which I dont) is 160 BHP will be hard on tyres and a grippy tyre that lasts over 3k is a bonus for me

Offline BMW_XR_D

• XR Member
  • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnoi8QWTyP1pAhgZo
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: brentwood
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2016, 10:33:36 PM »
I went 2600 miles on my last M7RR and now I have 200/55/17 M7RR and love it ! Great tire best all around aggressive road tire I've ever owned.

Offline Gilly76

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 03:13:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by Redrick [+]
Had a set of Metzler roadtec 01 fitted before my jolly to the Picos and my findings are as follows

They are bloody brilliant !

Just done 2650 miles in 7 days of hard riding in the Picos and Pyrenees and I have ragged the tits off the XR full chat 2nd gear bends for mile after mile in the Picos ( Im sure you know what its like dear reader) and the roadtecs have been flawless never ever squirming even right at the edge under full load.Grip is so good. The little elephant on the edge of the tyre is gone on both sides !

and it gets better as with nearly 3K on thenm they look good for another 2K

FWIW - I absolutely concur.

I can also vouch for them being good enough for a trackday in the fast group too.

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 03:22:15 PM »
So how come your getting 5Kmiles out of them and the guy above less than 3K ?

Offline Gilly76

• XR Member
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 03:32:23 PM »
Who me?

Mine are toast at around 3000 miles.

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 03:36:31 PM »
Redrick said he had 3K on them and they looked good for another 2K.

Everyone I know who uses them they are toast at under 3K. Which puts them in a similar place to pretty much any tyre in this class.

Only reason I ask is on a tour having a touch more than 3K would be useful :-)

I have heard people saying they last well and are grippy, but apart from one person they last the same as any other soft tyre.

Sounds like I am moaning but I am actually really interested :-)

dysfunctional