Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: nav v problems  (Read 2088 times)

Offline johnnienofish

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: MANCHESTER
nav v problems
« on: October 18, 2016, 08:54:01 PM »
hi folks, got a problem with my nav- now this might be something I'm doing wrong but its foookin doing my head in  :087:
ok i plan a route - I've been using my route-app to plan route which is a really good tool, - transfer it to my nav ( all good so far - so off i toddle following my set route, ( when i plan my route i use lots of way points so I'm hopefully sticking exactly to my route) - but nav just seems to have a mind of its own and takes me well off route ,
when i start off- say I'm going from manchester to chester using lots of twisty roads on my route the nav asks right at the start next destination- then gives me the start and finish
 1 manchester
 2 chester
if i chose chester it then makes its own route to chester not the one I've plotted  :230:
 :087: anyone shed any light on whats going wrong, am i doing something wrong   :138:
proper preparation prevents piss poor performance

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
Re: nav v problems
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 10:12:17 PM »
This is the precise problem I had with my tomtom rider, did my chuffin fruit in, ended up flogging it and getting he Nav V and since that..not a jot of a problem.

My way of building a route is getting maps on the laptop, Nav in hand, first point say M6 Tickle trout for A59, look on maps for next road name, search on Nav V, mark as next point, and so on, build a precise route, save and go. Tried it first time a month ago, did all the roads I wanted 100%.

I only use the laptop as I don't know the road names I want, if your knowledgeable with the roads you can just do it on the Nav. Sounds like its something to do with the program your using, I used TYRE route planner which was ace for building a route, send it to the tomtom as an itn file and the bugger just took the straightest route, friggin useless  :232:
Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.

Offline r15suk

• XR Member
  • Town: Reading
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 10:26:19 PM »
 Standby for techy talk...

The file created by an app usually contains both a track log (lots of track point coordinates), and an unrouted trip (route or way points). This does depend on what format you choose in the app though. The same can happen if you load a trip from base camp using a different map version to that on the device.

The file is generally unrouted when loaded on the garmin because it has been created on a different map to that loaded in the gps. It uses the initial file header to establish what was used to create it. If you feel that way inclined you can edit the file to make the device think it was created by base camp, and which map version.

If the trip is entered with sufficient way points in the app all you need to do is tell it to recalculate.
Clearly, in order to get the same route you need to use the same routing option (faster,shorter,twisty), and the same avoidances.

The reason for the differences in file content are also affected by the way gamin and tom tom have interpreted the gpx standard in a different way.

And now a useful tip...
If you want to, it is possible to select and display the stored / imported trip log (at least on the 590), so you can see if there are any routing differences. I often use this when using trips created by others, it's a simple and easy sanity check.

Hope that helps smile.gif

Offline scotti

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
  • Town: Teesside
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 07:06:18 AM »
Plan your route using Basecamp from Garmin.  Transfer the file in .gdb format, which as previously stated contains the route not just the waypoints.  Make sure the device and laptop have the same version map.  End of problem.
Loads more specific info at http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?action=forum
Regards
Scotti

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 10:51:59 AM »
The first issue here is the use of many way points. If you are not exact with their placement you will find yourself becoming frustrated at the Nav taking you to a phonebox or some such thing up a side street somewhere .

Look up the difference between way points and shaping points

The next issue is the start navigating part where it asks you where you wish to start. In your example you have said Chester which is not your start point. Regardless of how you have plotted and transferred you route the unit will take you to the way point in chester by using the algorithm you have it set to I.E fastest, shortest, curvy roads etc here is a bit of an idiot guide that i knocked up for a mate and posted on UKGSer

Follow it and your unit will work as you want it to

Base camp is not difficult i promise !

It frustrates me to see so much animosity towards something that actually does work so this is my fool proof way of creating a route I hope it helps.

I am assuming that all the maps are up to date and firmware too and that the same maps are on the computer and device.

firstly In base camp click on edit and options and check the activity to motorcycle And do the same on the Nav unit. There are 2 tabs under this, General and routing. In the routing tab set whatever you like as long as this is replicated on the device. I have mine set to fastest.

Now click the device transfer button and check the top 2 boxes at transferring routes. this will strip out any shaping points but send a second version to the device that still has them (just in case)

In the Left hand navigation pane right click on my collections and create a new list folder and call it favourites. I keep in here all the way points i use regularly such as home or your hotel or preferably both

So to do a route:

Right click my collections and create another folder and call it any thing you like but i use my trip as a name I.e Scotland now right click on that and create a new list and give that a name too.

Open that list and you will see absolutely nothing untill you copy and paste into the bottom of the left and navigation pane your start pont and end point ( get these from you favourites folder) or create way points on the fly and they will appear in here

Now click file then new route and a box opens asking for start and end point, drag your start point from the bottom left hand pane and repeat with the end point Base camp will now create a route based on the criteria you set it in the routing options.

This route will not be to your liking so....

Click either on the route itself or the name of the route in the bottom left hand pane and it will become highlighted

By using the mouse left click and the Alt key you can grab bits of the route and drag to how you want it ! but do this bit at a time. If it goes a bit pete tong just undo by clicking edit and undo.

With a bit of practice it is quite easy !

To transfer the route to the Nav connect the 2 up, Highlight the route in question (The one in the bottom left hand pane) and click the transfer button

Disconect the device and turn it on and it should ask you if you want to imort the new routes it has found and obviously the answer is yes
once it has completed that task your route is ready to go in the apps trip planner

I dont want to be a patronising bastard here but this method does work. it is slightly different for mac but only a little
You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 12:15:50 PM »

Good effort chaps, let us know how you get on Johnny
Therapy...

Offline Irfrank

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Campobello, SC
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 02:40:36 PM »
 Turn off automatic recalculate. I have mine set to Ask and usually respond NO.

Make sure navigation settings are what you want. Fastest? Shortest? Curvy roads?  I usually use fastest, but this may conflict with desired routes.

Many waypoints are good and bad. Where they are is critical. Place them just after intersections. Placement of waypoints is critical.

After you load the route in gps, press MAP. You can review the route the gps will select. If its wrong, add waypoint to force it here you want.

You didn't say what you used to create route. Basecamp is good, but not easy to learn. I like Furkot.

Offline johnnienofish

• XR Member
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 02:37:12 PM »
thanks chaps for your efforts, i don't think -( although i will keep trying) i will ever get to grips with basecamp, think its my age  :008:- i got basecamp up on't computor plugged nav v in and all I've got is dozens  of red lines all over the map, (my routes which are on the nav) :230: tried my best to find a way to clear them to no avail  :087::157: just goes from bad to worse, - will have to do it the way gatsoburner does it if thats the easiest way,

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 02:57:24 PM »

I'm pretty sure it'll be down to us not doing things precisely as it wants, I just cant help thinking plugging the Nav into any computer just cocks the thing up.
I plotted a route from the Tickle trout through to Slaidburn, through the back roads almost to Devils, the Nav took every turn I wanted, faultless as I say but maybe not how it should be done.

Hope your getting out enough on the bike  :028:
Therapy...

Offline johnnienofish

• XR Member
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 03:14:45 PM »
not getting out as much as i would due to work  :230: but yep as often as i can, sent you a pm mate

dysfunctional