Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: steering to the right  (Read 33689 times)

Offline mcoskun

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
steering to the right
« on: June 17, 2015, 12:56:18 PM »
Hi guys
I am owner of a s1000xr. During my first rides I have noticed that when I release my hands on the bar motorcycle starts steering to the right and keeps rolling until I make correction on the handle bar. When I ride it as hands on I do not feel any disturbance. I have talked to another owners in Izmir / Turkey and ask them if they can also try it. So four people tried as both cruise control on and off,  it and guess what, all the four bikes are same steering to the right when the hands free form the handle bar.  I took it to the service but they were not able to solve the problem. Actually they have not consider it as a fault. But some adjustments were made, none of them was successful. So they have asked to the Germany but no answer yet. 
My thinking is that, it  is a flaw and something definitely should be corrected by BMW. I know releasing hands during ride is not a proper thing to do it does not matter bike should go strait like a bullet. 
So I wonder if any of you have noticed same thing. Do you think it is mechanical failure or It is OK unless, leaning (steering to the right) is not noticeably as both hands on the handlebar. 

thanks...

Offline Tiger Man

• XR Junior
  • Bike: Tiger 1050
  • Town: Gloucester
Re: steering to the right
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 02:00:53 PM »
My first thought is the camber in the road as you need to try it on a perfectly flat road. Not sure what what the roads are like in Turkey but if fellow riders have the same issue then maybe it's more machine related.

Second thought is the rear wheel alignment or maybe the headstock is too tight ?

What adjustments did you make that were not successful ?

Offline mcoskun

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 03:58:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tiger Man [+]
My first thought is the camber in the road as you need to try it on a perfectly flat road. Not sure what what the roads are like in Turkey but if fellow riders have the same issue then maybe it's more machine related.

Second thought is the rear wheel alignment or maybe the headstock is too tight ?

What adjustments did you make that were not successful ?

I am sure it is not the roads.
Technician has made adjustments on the front fork but not the rear wheel or headstock.
Bike has 1400 km now what they do did not work so far, I will mention about rear wheel and the headstock when I get there next time.
thanks for the reply

Offline grnmtvt

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Essex Junction
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 12:46:21 AM »
Approaching a stop light last week I needed to make a jacket closure adjustment and as I slowed took my hands from the bars to zip up the jacket and did not notice any right drift at the time.  Seemed to steer fairly straight. 
Will check it out further this week though.  Thanks for the update!  :002:
Many people ride.....but for a select group of people it's more than a ride....it's one of life's great passions.

Offline mcoskun

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 07:08:27 AM »
*Originally Posted by grnmtvt [+]
Approaching a stop light last week I needed to make a jacket closure adjustment and as I slowed took my hands from the bars to zip up the jacket and did not notice any right drift at the time.  Seemed to steer fairly straight. 
Will check it out further this week though.  Thanks for the update!  :002:
I thank you very much. I am looking forward to hear it.

Offline grnmtvt

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Essex Junction
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 07:46:14 PM »
Well I've put the bike to the test repeatedly with the windscreen both up and down and there does seem to be a good amount of right pull in both cases although seems less with the windscreen down.
Don't notice any pull right when riding under normal conditions though.  Very strange indeed.
Happy to say that this little issue won't seem to be impacting my overall enthusiasm for riding this bike on a daily basis.   :002:
Many people ride.....but for a select group of people it's more than a ride....it's one of life's great passions.

Offline mcoskun

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 08:15:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by grnmtvt [+]
Well I've put the bike to the test repeatedly with the windscreen both up and down and there does seem to be a good amount of right pull in both cases although seems less with the windscreen down.
Don't notice any pull right when riding under normal conditions though.  Very strange indeed.
Happy to say that this little issue won't seem to be impacting my overall enthusiasm for riding this bike on a daily basis.   :002:
Thanks for the test. do u think it is normal and we shouldn`t be worried?

Offline Shado

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW R Nine T
  • Town: Jersey CI
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 08:39:29 PM »
Interesting thread, put it to the test over here today as we drive on the left and the road tapers to the left for drainage etc, there is definitely a tendency for it to stray to the right hands of and on cruise control, I shifted my body weight to compensate , so don't know, a bit of an enigma at the moment.   :305:
In Life there is no reverse, ride it like you stole it!

Offline fasttrak

• XR Pro
  • Chasing sunsets at 90 MPH.
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Morgan Hill
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 01:34:30 AM »
Last night I did a run down one of my regular stomping grounds and got a chance to test out this steering to the right thing. I put it on cruise control at 70mph, took hands of handlebars and... she kept heading straight down the road and could steer by using my knees. No problem here with pulling right or left.

Offline Shado

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW R Nine T
  • Town: Jersey CI
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 07:26:33 AM »
I will try again today and adjust my seating position, I think I'm a little bit biased towards the left of the seat, will see.
In Life there is no reverse, ride it like you stole it!

dysfunctional