Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Headset - Nav and Phone  (Read 2213 times)

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
Headset - Nav and Phone
« on: October 20, 2016, 03:44:47 PM »

Leading on from Johhny's post re the Nav it prompted me to get the headset linked which I did with aid from the GS site.
Has anyone done this and what do you get out of it..?
Mine are all paired now (not tried out on the road) so I assume they will find each other when I ask each to 'discover'..

My questions are will I now be able to hear the Nav routing me ?, can I listen to my phones music list..?

Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.

Offline fgdriver

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Red
  • Town: London
Re: Headset - Nav and Phone
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 07:28:05 AM »
Hi Gatsoburner.

The simple answer is yes but there is always a but or as long as.

I have a Senna 20S paired with both a Samsung S7 and the Nav5,  here is the extra bit the priority of the devices is Key have look at the relevant instructions for your Comms with regards to priority as on the Senna there was an issue with earlier builds that always gave priority to the Nav over the intercom.  Personally I was ok with this as I am usually only connected to the Wife and if she gets cut off mid sentence she can repeat.  But with more in the group i can see the problem.  On some units you can have both running on my Trophy I have the Nav and Music at the same time through the speakers in the fairing.  But this is in the bike and no good above 60Mph as the wind noise distorts too much.

Have a good read on the website or manual of the device you have I prefer the website as it should have the new instructions that take into account any upgrades to the device that may have been done from plugging it into a computer to update.

S.
As Always Ride Safe.

Offline mahseve33

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Cheshire
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 09:28:52 AM »
Hi Gatsoburner.
My Nav 5 is paired to my Scala rider. The Nav voice takes priority over passenger / bike to bike and phone. Works fine although setup was finnicky.
I've not used the music input, that's not what I have the bike for. The volume is very fussy depending where the speakers are mounted in the helmet, half an inch makes a huge difference.
But re your reference to Johnnys post, afraid I'm a Ludite. Gave up with Basecamp, tend to use the nav only in towns and cities, use good old maps and notes for the bulk of the journey.
Since update the Nav 5 it chooses some bizarre variants on routes. Don't trust it totally.

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 10:10:40 AM »
If like me you are using a Senna unit i found the best option is to pair your phone with the Nav unit and the Senna to the Nav. this will enable you to listen to Nav instructions, music and get phone calls all through the Nav unit. The Senna is then not having to decide which device to pair to or priorities
You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 11:31:04 AM »

Cheers chaps, ill have a dabble.

mahseve33, i've heard a fair few people have problems when they've updated their Nav V, I wont be doing it all at, cant see any updates being worthwhile that'll effect me and my roads.

Therapy...

Offline JohnnyBeGood

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 01:09:21 PM »
My guess is that if you decide to NOT update your NAV(software) you will eventually run into problems when trying to update your map!

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 03:46:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gatsoburner [+]
Cheers chaps, ill have a dabble.

mahseve33, i've heard a fair few people have problems when they've updated their Nav V, I wont be doing it all at, cant see any updates being worthwhile that'll effect me and my roads.

You will need to do the updates at some point and the maps. Things usually go wrong with updates because the memory on the unit is piss poor and needs a memory card in it which can not exceed a certain size ( don't go above 32 GB) and it has to be formatted and given a name in order for the wonderful garmin express to be able to find it..

There are many work a rounds for map updates like map install but cross those bridges when you get to them.

The bluetooth that links Nav to head set wont be affected or altered by any updates

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 04:24:17 PM »

Red, why would I need to update do you think  :084:.
Therapy...

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 08:22:29 AM »
Well thinking about it i suppose you don't actually have to update it but roads do change as does functionality with the unit or at least with its capabilities.

Even with map updates roads are constantly changing. In spain recently i came across a couple  of roads that had been " moved" since when i created the route without the updated maps which had the correct new roads it would have been an inconvenience, not world ending i admit but a faff none the less

I just can't see the point of having a an expensive bit of kit that serves a valuable purpose and not using it to its max potential within the scope of its user

Each to their own of course
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 08:24:02 AM by Redrick »

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 04:04:26 PM »
Yep, agree 100% for travelling further afield but being in the UK for most of its life i'll try and avoid updates.

I have noticed our wonderful M60 motorway, with a reduced 50mph limit for 2 years of road works, tells the Nav its a 50 rather than 70, I wonder with the smartlink if it'll change back to 70 or will it need updating to read 70 ?

Oh well, I find the Nav superb, does more than the tom tom I had, works 100% so all good  :028:
Therapy...