Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bmw replied....!!  (Read 4647 times)

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
Bmw replied....!!
« on: October 20, 2016, 11:56:33 PM »
Good afternoon Rob

Thanks for your email about the vibrations on your S1000 XR. I’m sorry to hear this, I can understand how frustrating this must be for you.

We’re currently testing older models to see if they can be retrofitted.

I’d suggest checking back with your local Centre in 60 days’ time, as we would have a better idea on if this is possible then.

If there’s anything else I can help with, please let me know.

Kind regards

Katie

BMW Group
United Kingdom
Katie Ryalls
Customer Service Consultant
Customer Service
Summit ONE
Summit Avenue, Farnborough
Hampshire, GU14 0FB
Tel: +44 (0)370 5050 160
Email: customer.service@bmw.co.uk
Web: http://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk

Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.

Offline Troppo

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
Re: Bmw replied....!!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 05:41:57 AM »
Good news they are checking re retrofit.

Thanks.

Offline Jockser

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Kildare
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 05:28:49 PM »
60 days ?
How difficult is it to try the new rubber bit on an old bike ??

Offline fgdriver

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Red
  • Town: London
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 10:03:13 AM »
It takes 60 days for the legal people to word it correctly!!!!!!!!!!

Lets see if BMW put their money where there mouth is

S.
As Always Ride Safe.

Offline johnnienofish

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: MANCHESTER
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2016, 11:04:31 AM »
well we've waited this long so another 60 days won't hurt, hopefully we will get a good outcome, can't see why not, thing is though the vibes won't just disappear they'll just be more apparent some where else, through the pegs more is my guess,
proper preparation prevents piss poor performance

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2016, 12:23:23 PM »
Surely you guys took advantage of a BM test ride? So why did you then buy the bike surely you knew what you were getting into or am I missing something a 'Jump on the bandwagon ' fashoin?

Sure BM could stop the vibes,just put a balancer in the motor and loose 10/20hp how does that appeal!! at best they'll mask it so do we live in a world that if we don't notice it? it doesn't exist.

Offline skapan

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000
  • Town: Toronto
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2016, 01:20:49 PM »
The local dealers here are putting the GS bar ends on XRs if the owners complain. I don't have an issue with mine - either it doesn't vibe or maybe I don't hold on tight enough to notice?

Offline fgdriver

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Red
  • Town: London
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2016, 01:38:51 PM »
The test bike I rode did not have as much of a vibe which was the surprise when I got mine but the tester also had no DRL on it either.  I have ridden 4 other xr's and they have had from none to just less than mine.  Done all the bar end and retorque of the bard and engine mounts.  On mine the vibes are less than 30% of what they used to be and the Right mirror at 70moh is smooth but the left still vibes slightly. 

If BMW have another solution than we don't have then adding it to the existing mix should!!!!! Only improve what is one of the best all rounders i have ridden. 

S.
As Always Ride Safe.

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2016, 03:54:25 PM »
The way I see it is that I never noticed a vib when using a 2500 mile test bike, (giddy smiling / not noticed) riding mine when I got it only mythered me at the 5000 rev 70mph mark which we don't hang around on whilst riding  :007:, I took advise and bought bar ends which has reduced the issue.

BM should sort this as it IS a global problem, and only such as we ALL go on about it thus BM have had too address the issue, its a manufacturing error somewhere and one that they can and have fixed  :084:, if they want to keep us coming back for more BM's and not trashing the rep of the XR its in their own interest to fix and where required retro fit to sold bikes.

I've re-torqued my bar ends tighter and I think for me the vib is even less than before. Did BM need to simple do this on their stock bikes  :138: or add heavier bar ends   :027:

Either way at least they have took it on board (hopefully) and will fix the older bikes (hopefully) and we will all be happy (hopefully) and I win the lottery (hopefully) and i'll buy us all a weekend at Oulton Park for the XR's  :152:
Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 04:22:15 PM »
I don't believe it is a manufacturing error,it's the result of putting a de tuned RR motor into something else.

I'll digress BM tipped the sport bike world upside down with the intro of the RR by producing a road bike with a race spec motor,it upset the Japanese Apple cart because they like to sell lower tuned sport bikes that would do a zillion miles and have had to up their game to compete with the RR.

The end result for us is a motor produced on the outer limits,the Japs still cannot bring themselves to produce a similar bike with such a stressed motor,I haven't come from a GS tractor it's never been my thing,but even my 955 Tiger with the wrong fuel map in it is vibey,I have never forgotten getting another map blown in while on a Spanish trip at a Triumph dealer in Valencia.
Both my 1100s and K1200 needed 10,000 miles before either settled down come to think of it so did the Tiger an engine will never settle down short of that distance.

The jury is still out for me if a pair of secondhand bar ends turn up I'll try them but I'm not keen on having the vibes masked and that is all you are going to get from the factory,if mine is still the same with the above mileage then I'll not be happy but there has been a marked drop off in such in just a couple of thousand miles on mine so I'm in no panic.

I realise the days of individual responsibility seem to have gone by the fact that no one put a gun to our heads to buy an XR,it is what it is and has been from day one,you want a bland appliance go buy a Kawasaki Versys because characters come with edges. :002:

dysfunctional