Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Quite possibly the easiest oil change ever  (Read 2504 times)

Offline stinky1969

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Houston
Quite possibly the easiest oil change ever
« on: October 24, 2016, 02:07:50 PM »
Just changed the oil on my bike.  This was quite possibly the easiest oil change I have ever done on a bike.
T-47 Torx bit for drain plug and t-25 to move the lower left plastic out of the way for easier access.
Oil filter from Amazon, and 3.5 qts of oil.  (Owners manual says 3.7 qts , 3.5 L, but I prefer to see the top of the oil level in the window)  BMW engineered this one right.  :152:

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Pro
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Saint Paul
Re: Quite possibly the easiest oil change ever
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 07:57:08 PM »
Agreed.  It was incredibly simple.  I had a bit of anxiety as I prepared to change oil and filter for storage here.

I accidentally put in 3.7L not 3.7 quarts.  Oops.  Easy remedy.  My drain plug had virtually NO metal sediment on the magnet.  A single fleck.

I used BMW oil and filter.  It cost as much to do it myself as it used to cost for the Honda dealer to do same to my old motorbikes.  What mystifies me more is that oil and filter were so simple to do on the S1000XR.  It's just awfully expensive oil.
-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
Re: Quite possibly the easiest oil change ever
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 08:27:21 PM »
Yep...did mine just this last weekend....so simple to do compared to some bikes. :028:

3.4-3.5 Liters is pretty close....I then start the engine for a minute or so to fill the filter, shut down and wait a couple of minutes till the oil dribbles down from the top end...then add a small amount of oil to see it just touch the top of the "Red Cirlce" in the sight glass when on the center stand..Job done :152:

Smithy.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 08:32:18 PM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

dysfunctional