Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Manufacture Date  (Read 2144 times)

Offline DubbleRNR

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
Manufacture Date
« on: November 12, 2016, 03:29:15 PM »
For the life of me, I remember reading somewhere that XRs manufactured after a certain date didn't vibrate as much as earlier manufactured ones.  I searched and came up empty.   Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!   

Offline Fordy99

• XR Member
  • Bike: Sport SE
  • Town: Cambs
Re: Manufacture Date
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2016, 04:27:35 PM »
Yeah, you are right. Those manufactured in 2017 won't vibrate !!!! :046: :046: :046:

Offline Troppo

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 10:11:20 PM »
Mine is a March 2016, and the vibes are much less than earlier models I rode.

Offline DubbleRNR

• XR Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 11:19:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by Fordy99 [+]
Yeah, you are right. Those manufactured in 2017 won't vibrate !!!! :046: :046: :046:

That I understand.  I should have been clearer.  I meant pre-2017.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 08:33:08 AM »
Demo bike I rode in November 15 had way less vibes than my 16 build but after 16 years of my 1100s a minor detail.

Offline Fordy99

• XR Member
  • Bike: Sport SE
  • Town: Cambs
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 03:51:49 PM »
Sorry mate, just playing.  :821:  I'm not sure you can say that bikes made after 'x' are better than those made before. The vibes appear to be random.  I had two demo rides, one of them had vibes and the other didn't but the one I bought did.  It appears to be luck of the draw and also whether the rider is susceptible to vibrations or not. 

I am susceptible, so I fitted HVMP bar ends and bought some extra long bolts so that I could put the originals on as well. They are still there but much less noticeable. I'm waiting for BMW to tell me if the fix is retrofittable. If not, I've got my bike on a PCP deal so I'll give it back and test the new bike when the lease expires.

Offline mahseve33

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Cheshire
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 07:27:32 PM »
It does seem random. Mine is one of the very first 2015s, barely noticeable vibs. The demos I tried were 2016s (×2), both had vibs. :027:
I'm with Winger. Having grown up with Triumphs etc and latterly GSs,  I don't consider the 'vibby' ones a problem.

Offline DubbleRNR

• XR Member
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 09:39:45 PM »
Thanks for the replying guys.  I could have sworn I read on one of the forums that bikes manufactured after a certain date were less prone to vibrations.  Who knows...the older I get the battier I get  :087:

I am aware of the heavier bar ends; they seem to help a good amount.  When I test rode the bike, my right hand became numb within a few miles in the highway, not good.  I haven't ridden with the heavier bar ends.

I am working on deal on a 2016 but am a bit hesitant.  It's a pretty good deal at that.  I am not sure if I should pull the trigger or wait for the 2017.  Of course, if I do, I will be paying a few thousand $ more that the current deal I am working on.

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 07:56:59 AM »
No, not heard anything on that subject to offer anything.

I'm thinking much of how its broken in, I took advice off here to ride it hard and bed in the engine with harsh acceleration / braking etc, for me I think it settled the engine into the frame better and reduced any vib's, I did go for heavier bar ends and all is good, not a complaint at all...or is this just my mind playing with me...  :084:
Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.

dysfunctional