Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Seat height question  (Read 3221 times)

Offline brumster

• XR Junior
Seat height question
« on: November 13, 2016, 09:48:59 PM »
Howdy all. Potential purchaser here, with a question on seat height. Myself, I'm 5ft 7 with an inside leg just roughly measured at ~30".

Itching for a 1000XR so spent this weekend going to look at some. Tried a standard one at a friendly dealer and it was too tall for me to be comfy with, particularly given the weight, I was absolutely tippy-toes and not comfortable at all. Looked around to find one with the low suspension + low seat option, and found one down in Gloucester so took a trip today to try it out for size. Was a little disappointed, if I'm honest, while it was a little lower it wasn't the big leap I was expecting. If that's supposed to be 790mm seat height.... well, I was still borderline tiptoes/ball of my feet, I certainly couldn't flat one side which is all I really need to feel comfortable with it.

So is this entirely normal? I am guessing the wide seat splays your legs apart a lot more than I'm used to and that's why I'm losing the ability to flat foot one side.

I'm coming from a Street Triple which has a standard seat height of 800mm, so I'm struggling to think why an alleged 790mm lowered XR felt worse to me :-(. Also the pegs were very much in the way while you were standing, which doesn't help of course, but maybe some aftermarket rearsets would sort that, I don't know.... not too fussed/worried about that aspect.

At this rate, it's feeling like a non-sale which is a bit disappointing as I was really getting myself egged on for an XR :D

Offline johnnienofish

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: MANCHESTER
Re: Seat height question
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 11:38:03 AM »
i too am a short ass so i got the lowered suspension model, make sure you have the suspension on 1 person no luggage and it should be fine, well it is for me anyway, theres also an after market kit that lowers it even more, and theres a company advertising on e-bay (some where in the midlands i think) that fit the kit and set it up to your requirements, its all down to the fact that the seats quite wide - nowt to do with mi little legs  :745:
proper preparation prevents piss poor performance

Offline brumster

• XR Junior
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 12:41:48 PM »
Ah interesting. It was in a showroom, I wonder if it had been left in the wrong mode (assuming it stays set as it was last used)... I must admit it did feel rather firmly sprung. So would being in the incorrect mode raise it up, or are we just talking reduced sag? I'll try and find one more lowered model over the winter to verify... unless anyone has further insight.

Offline johnnienofish

• XR Member
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 12:50:27 PM »
yes depending which suspension setting it was left in, if say it was left in 2 + luggage it would be raised accordingly to allow for the heavier load,

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 01:24:59 PM »
If you do a search there is a thread about the Cymarc service and a post in that thread about the Soupy option.

Offline skapan

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000
  • Town: Toronto
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 01:31:13 PM »
You have to turn the bike on or the suspension is rock solid. Key on or engine running, you will feel it soften up. Just sitting on it in the showroom doesn't really tell you what the seat height will be, unless it has the standard suspension, no DDC.

Offline brumster

• XR Junior
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 01:40:31 PM »
Doh. Would have been useful if the dealer had known that! Well, that's positive news anyway, I will look to find another one to test armed with the information I now have :)

Offline johnnienofish

• XR Member
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 01:44:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by johnnienofish [+]
yes depending which suspension setting it was left in, if say it was left in 2 + luggage it would be raised accordingly to allow for the heavier load,

yes sorry don't forget to have the ignition on  :138:

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 02:06:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by skapan [+]
unless it has the standard suspension, no DDC.

And that is the punch line when I was in the process of buying my K I was knee deep in BS from BMW because I didn't want electric,and with the XR they purposely make sure there is no stock sus bike in the demo system.

Didn't stop me buying one and it was a great decision.

Offline r15suk

• XR Member
  • Town: Reading
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 10:18:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by johnnienofish [+]
i too am a short ass so i got the lowered suspension model, make sure you have the suspension on 1 person no luggage and it should be fine, well it is for me anyway, theres also an after market kit that lowers it even more, and theres a company advertising on e-bay (some where in the midlands i think) that fit the kit and set it up to your requirements, its all down to the fact that the seats quite wide - nowt to do with mi little legs  :745:

Is the low suspension one the same as the custom smaller frame model?

Cheers
Simon

dysfunctional