Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Is BMW UK customer service always this crap?  (Read 1907 times)

Offline PL2112

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Canterbury
Is BMW UK customer service always this crap?
« on: November 15, 2016, 01:22:51 PM »
I purchased my XR SE from the BMW approved used bike scheme back in August.  When I collected it I noticed the coding plug and sat-nav cover were missing, the dealer said no problem we'll find them and get them in the post to you.  Nearly 3 months, 3 phone calls and 2 e-mails later they have still not supplied them despite telling me they had forgotten / sent them to the wrong address / sent them again etc. etc.
The dealer is 60 odd miles away so I can't just go and make a nuisance of myself there, in some desperation I e-mailed BMW Motorrad UK customer service over a week ago to ask if they can help.  They don't even bother to reply  :151:

Frankly this standard of customer service is far less than I expected or am used to.
Love the bike but maybe I should have stayed with Ducati?

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
Re: Is BMW UK customer service always this crap?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 05:40:26 PM »
Why would BMW uk get involved? Your dealer sounds like a bit of an idiot, so keep chasing them.

Offline skapan

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000
  • Town: Toronto
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 05:48:35 PM »
I'm sure the story would have been different if you had refused the bike until the parts were fitted. Now they have your money and it would seem that they just don't care.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 06:32:05 PM »
60 miles away what's that on an XR 45 minutes an hour maybe F the phone calls and emails I'd just rock up in person as you do!!! But that's me being old fashioned.

But complaining to customer service  :002: that's your bridges burn't then  :008:

Offline PL2112

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 01:00:57 PM »
Hey Winger
Actually it’s 68 miles according to Google maps; about 45 miles of busy boring motorway then the rest on heavily congested London streets so nearer 2 hours even on a bike, and exactly the sort of riding I usually avoid like the plague.
I totally agree that rocking up in person is the best way and exactly what I’d normally do, but let’s just consider how it’s likely to pan out if I turn up?
They are unlikely to have them lying about or in stock so I’ll no doubt get more apologies, a free cup of coffee but still leave empty handed having wasted 4 hours of my precious time on the sort of journey I hate.  Oh and it’s November and the weather is 5h1t!

As for having burnt my bridges by contacting BMW customer service?
I’d be interested to know what you think a customer service department is for then?
You think the dealer will be so pi55ed off they won’t supply them at all?  Loss compared to now = zero, zilch, nada, nothing.
Or the dealer will be so pi55ed off they won’t want to service my bike?  Unlikely - but there’s another dealer 45 miles away, 40 of which are on some of my favourite roads so I am more likely to use them anyway.
Incidentally the other dealer is where I test rode an XR, the only reason I didn’t buy from them was they never got back to me on two separate occasions when I contacted them to discuss a deal.
Oh and that other dealer serviced and fitted new tyres to a friends XR before a continental tour, a few hundred miles in it started to handle a bit strange, well it might when two front axle clamp screws were missing and two hanging on by a couple of threads!
In retrospect my thread title is a bit inflammatory but maybe you get an idea why I am less than impressed with service from BMW dealers and wondering what I have got into with my first BMW?

The value of the parts?
Sat-nav mount cover £7.50
Coding plug £15.20
£22.70 to me so probably £12 at the most to BMW.  It would be cheaper to buy them than waste a tank of fuel on an unenjoyable ride in the depths of winter and that’s probably what I’ll end up doing, after all in the overall scheme of things it’s bu66er all on a £15k motorbike.  But that’s not the point is it?  This is supposed to be a  premium brand delivering a superior customer experience and if you don’t let the customer service department know things aren't right how will they improve?

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 02:03:57 PM »
Where we differ if something matters then it matters money has got nothing to do withit if it's important to me then I'll put myself out if it's not then I won't.

As for the motorcycle retail public I suffered if for 3 years the most inept/immoral/stupid/disloyal bunch I have ever come across so don't go thinking you have the high ground because your post proves other wise sounds like they treated you like you have them  :002:

Offline PL2112

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 02:29:44 PM »
I've no wish to get involved in a slanging match but I haven't claimed any kind of moral high ground and I certainly haven't "treated them" in any way other than courteously.
I've simply contacted the dealer 5 times and on each occasion been unfailingly polite.  The salesman is a really friendly guy and that's partly what is so frustrating
But they still haven't delivered despite promising they would so I simply contacted customer services to see if they can help in any way.  They don't even reply - if they said they can't do anything it would be something.

Your post proves you have a very jaundiced view of your fellow bikers and I understand if it is formed of experience but you will have to trust me that I am not inept/immoral/stupid or disloyal.
I don't appreciate your implied insults so perhaps it would be better if a moderator could lock this thread.