Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Low Suspension Considerations  (Read 10822 times)

Offline DubbleRNR

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
Low Suspension Considerations
« on: November 16, 2016, 11:49:32 AM »
Hey Folks:

I am considering the low suspension option and was wondering if anyone can give me some insight as to how it compares to the standard suspension.  I am NOT concerned or interested in a height comparison.  I test rode a bike with the standard suspension, and while a wee tall, it is totally manageable. Having said that, if the option exists to get a lowered bike, why not explore that option?

So, I am more interested in comparing things like handling/cornering, comfort (harshness), ground clearance and overall ride quality. Or any other observations you may have made.

Thanks and look forward to your insight and considerations.   :002:

Offline Troppo

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
Re: Low Suspension Considerations
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 02:53:23 AM »
I've ridden both and own a standard height one.  They ride the same.

Offline DubbleRNR

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 10:38:27 AM »
Thanks Troppo  :002:

Offline Troppo

• XR Pro
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 10:52:39 AM »
My pleasure.

Offline brumster

• XR Junior
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 04:08:25 PM »
Someone correct me if I'm wrong (it would be a good thing, considering I'm looking at low options myself) but according to the BMW configurator, you cannot have the lowered suspension model without having the ESA option (ie. electronic suspension). If you tick the "Seat height reduction" option (it's name is a bit misleading - it's not the seat itself, it's the lowered suspension) then it will automatically add on the Dynamic ESA option.

edit: I may have misread your post a little, wasn't sure what the implications were, but I'd still like to confirm my options for a low bike... if the standard suspension option gives any options in that regard, I'd be interested too! Short of a 3rd party lowering kit... but for example, if someone said "oh the standard suspension model is already lower than an electronic one" then that would be interested news, for example.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 04:16:44 PM by brumster »

Offline brumster

• XR Junior
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 04:20:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by Troppo [+]
I've ridden both and own a standard height one.  They ride the same.

I take it you mean a lowered suspension bike, and a standard height bike, both equipped with ESA? ie. you're saying the lowering itself has no ill effect on ride comfort/etc?

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 04:25:17 PM »
Stock sus bike is a totally different ball game Google 'Soupy's ajustable' you can drop the rear lots and all you then do is drop the forks to taste.

The reason why it's such a hassle BM don't want to sell you a stocker all the money is(well what little there is for the dealer) in the ones with all the bells and whistles on.

I've sat on an ESA bike with the soupy ajustable and I found it way to low for me at 6ft PM Hobo on this board he has the bike.

Offline Troppo

• XR Pro
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 07:55:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by brumster [+]
I take it you mean a lowered suspension bike, and a standard height bike, both equipped with ESA? ie. you're saying the lowering itself has no ill effect on ride comfort/etc?

Yes.

Offline Dave_Mac

• XR Junior
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Benfleet
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 03:54:19 PM »
Hi I am looking to reduce the height on my XR. Has anyone had issues using the centre stand or side stand after dropping the suspension. Thanks

Offline Hobo

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Warwick
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2016, 05:55:41 PM »
I dropped mine by using a Soupy's adjustable link on the rear and sliding the yokes down - both by 25mm. With this drop the side stand still works fine. The bike leans a hell of a lot as standard and so has a bit to spare. It currently leans slight less than a friend's Fireblade (which is scary upright).