Author Topic: Pirelli Angel GT  (Read 13254 times)

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: Pirelli Angel GT
Reply #30 on: July 17, 2019, 07:27:45 PM
*Originally Posted by Franksie [+]
Well I decided to get some new tyres today. My old T30,s were squared off to the point of being unsafe. Done 5.7 k miles so not bad.
Anyway my supplier has an offer on the Pirelli Angel GT 2,s from which is an offer from Pirelli not the dealer. So a front and rear is £199.00 fitted incl. taxes.Its like buy a rear get the front free. Its a no-brainer for quality tyres and I'm so glad to get shut of the Bridgestones,which I never really liked that much. I'll let  you know how they perform when I get a few miles on them.

Great Price for a very good tyre. :041:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline miategra

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Istanbul
Reply #31 on: May 07, 2021, 10:18:17 PM
*Originally Posted by miategra [+]
I wanted to give a quick update of my thoughts on Angel GTs.

First I want to say that I will be comparing how I feel on the bike between OEM Diablo Rosso II, Rosso III and Angel GTs.

Angel GTs makes me feel much more confident and safer when I just get on the bike. I think it is caused of two plus one issues. First I'm little short for s1000xr, 172cm. I think shape of the tire ( Rosso's especially Rosso III much more egg shaped then Angel Gt's.) Second, they definitely warm up quicker in our shitty tarmac. Third, I had the chance to try them on rain. The difference between Rosso III and Angel Gt is like day and night on wet tarmac. If you can control your wrist it is nearly like riding on dry with Angel GT when you compare to Rosso III. 
Those were the pros...
After a fast ride on mountain roads, when I check the tire for how much space left on the tire surface to lean I saw that it was like 3mm to the edge. I checked because I was feeling not confident enough to push the bike further like the Rosso III's. With the Rosso's left space was around 10mm's.
This is my only con...
At the end Angel GT is a touring tire and I hope that it will pay back the the mileage that I can do with a set of tire. For Rosso II it was 8000kms for Rosso III it was 8800kms for me. We will see how much kms I can squeeze from Angel GT's.
Conclusion,
Because of the ugly tread pattern of the front tire (speaking of Angel GT II) I went for Angel GT. I'm happy with them but unless I can squeeze 12000kms form them I will definitely go back to Rosso III.

Update on Angel GT's:
Bike is around 24600kms so tires nearly done 7500~8000kms.
Rear started to flatten significantly.
Handling vise, they still handle and feel very good. I had fast (120 to 170kph) winding road experience today (bike was sitting for the past four months) and I had a large grin on my face. When I checked nearly nothing left on the edge of rear tire.
But the truth is I won't think that rear tire will last more than 1500kms.
So I will start to look for a new set of tires.
One solution is to buy just buy a new rear Angel GT, but I don't feel comfortable about the idea just renewing the rear tire.
I really like to hear your suggestions.

Offline Antares

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2015 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Staines/Kirklees
Reply #32 on: May 08, 2021, 12:36:56 AM
Road 5 Gets a big thumbs up from me, as for replacing only the rear tyre, I did just that and being almost 700 miles into them (1120km) I've so far have absolutely 0 complaints (replaced failed Angel GT with Angel GT 2, still Angel GTs on the front) Bike handles perfectly well even for aggressive twisty riding, had the change to test wet weather and the bike performed as expected. So as far as I'm concerned in this scenario, there is absolutely 0 reason why you couldn't go ahead and only replace the rear, I've done it many times because rears simply wear faster than fronts on most bikes, caveat is obviously front tyres were still young in age (3 years old at the very most)

Offline miategra

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Istanbul
Reply #33 on: June 17, 2021, 04:51:38 PM
You can not buy Angel GT anymore. They are out of production.  :110:
So guys I'm open for your advices:
New Metzeller Roadtech 01 SE or New Pirelli Diablo Rosso IV ?
I will not go with Angel GTII I hate the pattern of it.
I know that 01 SE and Rosso IV are on different league but I have done nearly the same mileage with Rosso II, Rosso III and Angel GT.

Offline Antares

• XR Pro
Reply #34 on: June 17, 2021, 05:15:02 PM
*Originally Posted by miategra [+]
You can not buy Angel GT anymore. They are out of production.  :110:
So guys I'm open for your advices:
New Metzeller Roadtech 01 SE or New Pirelli Diablo Rosso IV ?
I will not go with Angel GTII I hate the pattern of it.
I know that 01 SE and Rosso IV are on different league but I have done nearly the same mileage with Rosso II, Rosso III and Angel GT.

Michelin Road 5  :028: Better mileage than all of these and better performance in the wet, whilst still extremely good dry performance.
I have GT2 rears and they're good but the Road 5 is noticeably better. And the GT2 is better than the GT1 I had. I agree with the GT2 pattern being unsightly but above all, you can physically feel that double rail running down the middle when you're trying to lean the bike over. You can feel it kinda "drop" a little bit as you initiate lean. Once you're past it they're not bad, chicken strips are gone on mine and I've not had a sketchy moment but I think the Road 5s retain shape better, have overall better handling characteristics and are most definitely better in the wet. I expect to get about 10k out of the Angel GT2s and I imagine the road 5 is either up there or better based on my past experiences, so that's my 2 cents. The Metzeler has gotten a lot of mixed reviews from people I've met. On the XR specifically too. Most feel it's a solid "meh" when compared to something like the Road 5. As far as the Rosso 4 goes, if it's anything like the Rosso 3, it'll be peaky in handling and decent dry grip, at the cost of wet grip. Imo the Road 5s instil more confidence in both scenarios whilst still being plenty good for a trackday and I'd expect the Road 5s to last 2x as long as the Rosso 4s. The Rosso 3s I've had on a Z300 were gone in 6500 miles, Road 5s on my Ninja 650 lasted 12k+ each time.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Reply #35 on: June 17, 2021, 06:11:14 PM
There are some very cheap Rossi 3’s knocking about and that’s in pairs.

Online bazzer

• XR God
  • Town: Waterlooville
Reply #36 on: June 21, 2021, 08:22:55 AM
I have run T30's Rosso III's Roadtech 01s and now I am running S22's

Loving the S22s

I liked the 01s but not quite as sporty profile and they square off and then you have a 1000 miles where they are not quite as agile. S22's do the same but its only about 500miles and they are toast :)

I found 01's last about 1000miles longer than S22's for me maybe 1500. So were really good on longer tours where a sports tyre is marginal if it will do the trip and get me home.

Edited to add

That's

1 pair T30
3 pairs of Rosso III
3 pairs of 01s
and on 3rd pair of S22

Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 08:24:14 AM by bazzer

Offline Antares

• XR Pro
Reply #37 on: June 21, 2021, 02:09:56 PM
*Originally Posted by bazzer [+]

Loving the S22s

I liked the 01s but not quite as sporty profile and they square off and then you have a 1000 miles where they are not quite as agile. S22's do the same but its only about 500miles and they are toast :)

I found 01's last about 1000miles longer than S22's for me maybe 1500. So were really good on longer tours where a sports tyre is marginal if it will do the trip and get me home.

Edited to add

That's

1 pair T30
3 pairs of Rosso III
3 pairs of 01s
and on 3rd pair of S22

Good point on those I want to add.

Angel GT2s square off very easily, majority of my riding was twisty roads or winding city roads and rarely going in a straight line and they are already quite a bit squared off. Road 5s resist squaring off much better in my experience, they only start becoming noticeably square around half life. GT2s this occured at (expected) 1/4 life

Online Mareng1

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Cumbria
Reply #38 on: June 21, 2021, 03:48:05 PM
*Originally Posted by bazzer [+]

Loving the S22s

Edited to add

That's

1 pair T30
3 pairs of Rosso III
3 pairs of 01s
and on 3rd pair of S22

Interesting to see the seemingly small difference in longevity between S22 and Roadtec-01 that you experienced.  I would have expected a wider range.

One thing I noticed with the Roadtecs is that they seem to be a pretty lightweight carcasse.   I took a rear off with perhaps 2.0mm of tread in the centre, and there is very little 'meat' left, and it deforms very easily.

One finger inside, one on outside and you definitely get the feeling there ain't too many mm between each fingertip!

I think that makes the Roadtec a bit susceptible to punctures in the later stages of its life.

But - I've a pair on just now (1,500m) and a spare set of 01SE to use up.  Fingers crossed!   :028:

Continental Road Attack 3 after that.

Offline Crosshairs

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 S1000XR
  • Town: Oceanport
Reply #39 on: June 21, 2021, 04:00:33 PM
I used a set of Dunlop Roadsmart 4's my last tire change and no more Road 5's for me....the Dunlops wear way better and perform just as well in all conditions .
Proud member of the 10/40 club

dysfunctional