Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Just Joined!  (Read 3194 times)

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
  • Town: Welwyn, Herts
Just Joined!
« on: November 24, 2016, 08:20:05 PM »
Hi,

I am about to join the S1000XR fold, having put a deposit down on a 2015 Sport SE yesterday. It will be in addition to my K1600GT and water cooled R1200GSA. I guess you can't have too many bikes :001:

So, looking forward to finding out how I can farkle it (screen, lower footrests and exhaust already come to mind :002:) and other information that will help me enjoy the experience.

Regards,

Bob

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: Just Joined!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 08:16:47 AM »
It was early 90's when I realised the cheap option with biking was more than one bike because the boredom factor never sets in and your not doing the headless chicken thing jumping from bike to bike looking for the Holy Grail.

I've found you have to to build them anyway I guess I'm about half way through getting my XR as I want it but still a way to go but I have never known so many bail out of a new model is it because the bike is so focused? and the majority are not?,nice cross section of bike society you have.

As for after market goodies I stopped buying new a while back with the amount of stuff that turns up secondhand.

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 11:15:26 AM »
Cheers Winger!

There was a good selection of XR's out there (about 52 on the BMW approved used site) and they come with a two year used warranty nowadays with the euro breakdown and recovery cover, so why buy new nowadays. I have made a substantial saving against the cost of a new one and I had thought about swapping my K1600 in for it, but I took it to Garmisch for Motorrad Days in July and it swiftly reminded me of how good a bike it is, so I hatched a plot to get the XR in addition :002:

Offline mahseve33

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Cheshire
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 01:05:26 PM »
Hi Bob S and welcome. I'm sure you'll love the S1XR.
Winger? How in Zeus's name can you get bored with S1XR!!  :150:
Serious though, I do have to disagree with Winger in respect of the bike, I don't consider it to be too focused. Nice upright, old man's riding position. Comfortable at legal speeds, and a pussy cat when ridden in sensible mode. (The switch for that isn't in the handbook, but it's just behind the right ear). No big surprises, in fact safer than most because the in built technology.
I agree it can bite back very badly if you upset it, but then most bikes will.
Can't think why the early bail out seems to be higher than a lot of bikes.
P. S. Bob why not try riding it for a while before deciding which bits to farkle. It's a pretty good all rounder. ( Jeees! I'm begining to sound like my dad used too. :114:)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 01:11:21 PM by mahseve33 »

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 01:20:49 PM »
Hello Mahseve,

Thanks for the welcome. I've had a couple of extended test rides on the XR and it has identified that I would need to change a couple of things to allow me to fit it better. The screen is the first, and to be honest I find I have to do that on every bike I own as I am 6'3" with most of my height in my torso, and I have already ordered some lower footrests as I have arthritis in one of my knees so that will ease the knee angle a bit. I think the seat will need either modifying or changing to help with that as well.

But other than that I have an open mind :001:

Offline mahseve33

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2016, 01:32:40 PM »
Sorry, being a bit forward.
I had the same problem with the screen, 6ft 2ins with a dachshund's body. There is loads of good advise on the forum, from members, about a variety of screens. I ended up with Wunderlich sports for the S1XR,  having a delicate spine (Big C) it's protects well and reduces strain.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2016, 05:18:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bob S [+]
Cheers Winger!

There was a good selection of XR's out there (about 52 on the BMW approved used site) and they come with a two year used warranty nowadays with the euro breakdown and recovery cover, so why buy new nowadays. I have made a substantial saving against the cost of a new one and I had thought about swapping my K1600 in for it, but I took it to Garmisch for Motorrad Days in July and it swiftly reminded me of how good a bike it is, so I hatched a plot to get the XR in addition :002:

Must have been around 2000 I bump into an old racing mate and were chewing over old times and I say I wished I had my old race bike,he says he still has his and then explains the logic of keeping bikes years instead of taking a financial kicking.

I bought a bike in 2000 another 2001 had an 8 year gap another 2 in 09 and my XR this year so I have 5 on the go all like chalk and cheese to each other on purpose,ironically the the oldest pair over a 200 mile trip are still faster than my XR because what makes for a fast bike is a big fuel tank  :001: the XR comes in somewhere between bonkers and certifiable!!!

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 05:30:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
I bought a bike in 2000 another 2001 had an 8 year gap another 2 in 09 and my XR this year so I have 5 on the go all like chalk and cheese to each other on purpose,ironically the the oldest pair over a 200 mile trip are still faster than my XR because what makes for a fast bike is a big fuel tank  :001: the XR comes in somewhere between bonkers and certifiable!!!

You are right there about the faster bike. I went to the Nurburgring in June 2015 with a group of friends and took my 2014 GSA for the trip. On the way back we stopped for the first fuel up of the day and we were stopping every 100-120 miles as some of the bikes just didn't have much of a range. We set off and we got separated and my satnav took me in a different direction to the main group. I just kept on going knowing I had more than enough fuel to get to Calais and didn't bother stopping. I got to Calais about 45 minutes before the main group, even though they were cruising at a faster speed than me, but they needed another couple of fuel stops to make it.

Offline mahseve33

• XR Member
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2016, 09:00:50 AM »
Yep  thats another aspect, 150 - 170 miles to the tank for a tourer. :110:

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2016, 10:27:23 AM »
Some of the tour leaders for World of BMW tours were using them on the trip to Garmisch this year and one, being used to GS's and RT's was not happy with the 150 mile tank range. But I also spoke to two guys on the tour who owned them who said they are getting 200 miles per tank. Maybe they were not using the full potential of the XR?