Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Canbus or Can'tbus?  (Read 3749 times)

Offline mahseve33

• XR Member
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Cheshire
Canbus or Can'tbus?
« on: November 25, 2016, 12:40:47 PM »
I assume that the electrics on my S1XR are the same system as my previous GS, i. e. The Canbus. Therefore I don't need to alter the settings on my smart charger? Or am I misguided? (Which isn't unusual).  :008:

Offline philbuck

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
Re: Canbus or Can'tbus?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 12:55:12 PM »
Correct, it is Canbus...................in all its glory  :013:

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 04:41:31 PM »
Blimey you've lost me already I just put the pigs tail direct to the battery and plug my Opimate in regardless of the dreaded canbus or not and that includes 3 cars and 3 bikes that don't have such and two bikes a Sprinter van that do.

Actually tell a lie my Supermoto has a lithium battery so use a different charger.

Offline mahseve33

• XR Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 08:52:20 AM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
Blimey you've lost me already I just put the pigs tail direct to the battery and plug my Opimate in regardless of the dreaded canbus or not and that includes 3 cars and 3 bikes that don't have such and two bikes a Sprinter van that do.

Actually tell a lie my Supermoto has a lithium battery so use a different charger.

You most certainly need a Canbus charger. The nice man that sold it to me  told me so. He must have had my best interest at heart because he gave me a very special price, only for me because he liked me, and couldn't possible give any body else that discount, but it only lasted that day. :016:

Seriously, I don't know what difference the type of charger makes, buts that my ignorance, but was advised to use one for my GS.

Offline philbuck

• XR Pro
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2016, 08:57:35 AM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
I just put the pigs tail direct to the battery and plug my Opimate in regardless of the dreaded canbus or not .....

Me too. The charger flying lead is connected across the battery directly, and the canbus knows nothing about it, nor the PDM60 that's attached too !!

Offline mahseve33

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 08:38:17 AM »
On my GS it plugged into the auxiliary socket (cigarette lighter looking thing), but there is no mention of this in the XR handbook.

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 10:46:43 AM »
With the BMW expensive charger you can charge directly into the Aux socket which you can't do with a non BMW charger.

Not sure if charging direct to the battery with a non BMW charger without disconnecting from the bike is a good idea. The manual says this may damage the electronics.

Just so you know, I don't work for BWM and am not therefore pushing their expensive chargers :005:
PSH

Offline Adventure Boy

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000 XR SE
  • Town: Essex
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 11:32:58 AM »
My bike came from the dealer with an optimate lead attached directly to the battery, its on the Optimate all the time its in the garage, I believe the only time you need the canbus charger is if you are charging through the Accessory plug socket
Rob

Offline mahseve33

• XR Member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 03:57:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by Adventure Boy [+]
My bike came from the dealer with an optimate lead attached directly to the battery, its on the Optimate all the time its in the garage, I believe the only time you need the canbus charger is if you are charging through the Accessory plug socket
Rob
My charger was recommended by an independent BMW mechanic, and is set to the Canbus charging with apropiate plug to fit BMW accessory socket. Fine for my GS, but the lack of this method being mentioned in the XR handbook has made me very wary.

Offline philbuck

• XR Pro
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2016, 04:06:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by mahseve33 [+]
My charger was recommended by an independent BMW mechanic,

So do you know an independent BMW mechanic in the Cheshire area?

dysfunctional