Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Got my NAV IV to work with the wheel and a question  (Read 1693 times)

Offline Ant

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
Got my NAV IV to work with the wheel and a question
« on: December 11, 2016, 09:20:11 PM »
Kept my NAV IV from my RT that I sold and long short short, the good folks at garmin walked me through instructs over the phone to upgrade the software and now I have a working GPS. (prior to the upgrade it wouldn't work on the XR)

Anyhoo, I noticed the MPH on thr NAV shows 1-3 MPH less than the bikes speedo depending how fast I'm going. Which is the accurate MPH? Just curious my level of care is low on this one.

Oddly when I had my RT I rarely used the GPS now it's like a new found toy. Go figure.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 09:23:31 PM by Ant »

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
  • Town: Welwyn, Herts
Re: Got my NAV IV to work with the wheel and a question
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 10:14:47 PM »
The sat nav is usually the more accurate source of speed.

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 10:20:08 PM »
The navigation shows a lower speed than the bike ?, are you sure that's the right way round. The navigation is most accurate however in every navigation I've  used the car/bike speedo reads lower than the speed your actually doing.
Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 10:32:15 PM »
The speedo has always read higher on every bike I have owned than the speed on the sat nav. The worst was the 2004 Triumph Sprint ST I owned which was between 15-20% over the true speed. The idiot in the warranty department (Mark Swepson) tried to say sat navs were not accurate, but they eventually agreed to test my sat nav and one of their own against a calibrated Vbox and then compare readings. The maximum variation between the Vbox, Triumphs own GPS and mine was 1 mph, but the speedo was reading way over as I had reported to them.

Offline Gatsoburner

• XR Pro
  • Bike: Red XR SE
  • Town: Manchester
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 10:44:54 PM »

Ang on, I'm wrong, speedo on vehicles DOES read higher than your doing, either way, the navigation is the most accurate...bed time  :087:
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 10:49:15 PM by Gatsoburner »
Therapy...

You'll never see a motorbike parked outside a psychiatrists.

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 10:51:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gatsoburner [+]

Weird, if every speedo read higher than what the speed actually is for that road then speeding tickets would be flying about all over the place, hence them reading lower to negate any blame on the vehicle manufacturers.

It's a legal requirement that a speedometer must never show a lower speed than the actual speed of a vehicle so you will find that speedos will always read higher than the speed shown on a sat nav. Neither must the indicated speed read more than 10% plus 2.5 mph over the true speed of the vehicle .

If a speedo showed less than the true speed of the vehicle then you might get speeding tickets flying about, but not for an over read.

Offline Troppo

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2016, 05:32:55 AM »
Sorry, but no - the bike/car speedo always reads lower then the true ground speed.

I've just come back from 2000 km staring at my GS speedo and BMW sat nav.... :002:

100 km/hr true (GPS) is about 105 indicated.

110 km/hr true is about 115 indicated.

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 03:10:25 PM »
*Originally Posted by Troppo [+]
Sorry, but no - the bike/car speedo always reads lower then the true ground speed.

I've just come back from 2000 km staring at my GS speedo and BMW sat nav.... :002:

100 km/hr true (GPS) is about 105 indicated.

110 km/hr true is about 115 indicated.

You have contradicted yourself. On the one hand you are saying the bike speedo always gives a lower reading than the true speed, but the figures you have quoted show that the speedo is reading higher than the true speed.

Offline Troppo

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 08:31:43 PM »
Yep - too many beers.

You are right.

:430:

dysfunctional