Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Stock Tyres  (Read 9969 times)

Offline iangiffordxr

• XR Junior
  • Town: Brighton
Stock Tyres
« on: December 12, 2016, 07:06:58 PM »
New Bike on the way due here January. My question is does anyone know which Brand of tyres are Factory fitted?
Are they any good or should I change them from day 1.

I have had PR3 on previous bike and fancy the new PR4.

Any advice - and what to do with the "Stock" tyres if I change?

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: Stock Tyres
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 09:02:19 PM »
With more than than one bike on the go I like to sing off the same song sheet all the time and I use Dunlops but XR came with Bridgestones and I quite liked them.

Offline johnnienofish

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: MANCHESTER
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2016, 09:09:01 PM »
ya give them to me  :745: :440: - mine came with  bridgestones - no complaints so far and I've ridden in all weathers (wet and dry)  the Metzler 01  seem to be getting some rave reports but personally id wear the bridgestones out first,  only my opion
proper preparation prevents piss poor performance

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 07:28:18 AM »
Speak to your dealer, as my dealer has always offered to swap the tyres free of charge, before delivery, as long as the bike hasn't been ridden on the road.

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 08:30:32 AM »
If the bike comes with Bridgestones I'd give them ago,I'll give credit to Michelin for starting the dual compound thing in 07 although technically it's triple but I've always found the Mich 2/3/4 hard wearing but slow turning which is not what it's about in my book.

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 08:48:07 AM »
Mine came with Pirelli rosso 2s on it They were good tyres but wore out very quickly, I moved on to rosso 3s which were better but again did not last very long I now run Metzler roadtec 01 and they are superb.

I was worried that they would not be as grippy in the dry but they are and in the wet they are unbeatable and as a bonus they will outlast the rosso 3s by at least double

Highly recommended
You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline cas

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SPORT SE
  • Town: Johnstone
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 09:26:31 AM »
My XR has been fitted with Metz Z8s. Only done 30miles since I got the bike at weekend so cant give a report on them yet.  Anyone had these before. I am used to PR4s and Angel ST which I had on the S1000R.

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
  • Town: Welwyn, Herts
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 10:45:54 AM »
My K1600GT had Metzeler Z8's fitted from new and I was very happy with them. The original rear lasted 6500 miles and the front 7500. I replaced them with the M fitment front and O rear Z8's and got the same mileage from the front but the rear was replaced at 7000 miles and I think it would have gone to 8000, but I was going on trip to Germany and prudence (bless her) got the better of me :002:

Gripped well wet or dry and nice feel too. I changed to the PR4GT's and have been impressed with these, but I don't feel they are any better than the Z8's.

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2016, 04:05:27 PM »
Most XR come with Bridgestone T30 tyres, these are OK but I fitted Metzeler Roadtec 01which are significantly better.

I would wear the Bridgestone's our and then fit the 01's  :002:
PSH

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2016, 05:39:06 PM »
Reckon I did 1000 miles on the Bridgestones then put Dymags with Sport Smarts on as and when we use it to go a distance I'll put a RoadSmart on the rear which is what I have done with the other bikes for some years.