Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: It's Alive!!  (Read 2209 times)

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
  • Town: Welwyn, Herts
It's Alive!!
« on: December 15, 2016, 03:52:58 PM »
 I had the misfortune of having to use public transport yesterday to go and collect my XR from Cotswold Motorrad in Gloucester, but the two and a half hour ride back home more than made up for it!

My bike is a June 2015 Sport SE, which is fitted with the BMW alarm and top box and it also has the LED daytime running light. It had a full tank of fuel and was ready to go. Mileage on collection was 8142.

So, my impressions after the first ride.

I won't go into the ballistic performance too much as you all know what it is capable of :001: but I will concentrate on aspects which I had noticed during the two test rides I had and also issues raised in the forum which seem to have caused a bit of consternation, as well as personal issues about how the bike suits my rather hefty 6'3" and the wrong side of twenty stone frame :002:

As I expected, I started to get some aches in my knees, but they were not as bad as I was expecting and I was able to walk ok when I got home and got off the bike. But the seat was a complete surprise. It was totally comfortable, with no bum ache of any sort whatsoever!!! I didn't expect that!!

The screen gave good protection but it does generate a lot of wind noise for me.

The handlebar vibration. I found that if I had a loose grip on the bars it was more noticeable, but if I gripped a bit tighter it was not as evident and on getting home I had no pins and needles in my hands from the ride on the bike. Perhaps mine with the mileage it has done is a bit better and more loose than the two demos that I rode, but having thought I would need the heavier bar ends, I am now not so sure if I will need them. I am going to ride it a bit more and see how it goes, but the option is there if needed.

Heated grips. The temperature dropped down to about 6-7 degrees after sunset and the grips worked ok. On the highest setting it was getting toasty to the point they were getting too hot, and they were luke warm on the low setting. But certainly better than the heated grips on my 2014 GSA and also better than what some members have experienced on their bikes

The Grin. It was massive!!! I am so going to enjoy this bike, and the ride home last night showed its capabilities and the potential it has. :002:

I had planned to get the seat raised about an inch, but after finding it so comfortable I don't really want to mess with it. I fitted the SW Motech footrests this afternoon and they are 15mm lower than the standard footrests, so I will see if that helps the old knees. I also fitted a Givi Screen today and it is taller and wider than the standard one so it should help. I was getting my K1600 serviced today and giving it a good clean so I haven't had the chance to take the XR out to see how the mods feel.

It's fair to say I am a very happy man!

Offline Boneman1

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr
  • Town: Southampton
Re: It's Alive!!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 07:21:57 PM »
Enjoy your new steed. I too have bought a 016 sport se 2 weeks ago. I have done only a 100 miles on it and love it. I have added a few bits to it but have not had the time to ride it work weather etc.
Will go out on it tomorrow for the last time this year as I am away for 3 weeks next week.

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 08:27:13 AM »
Surprised you found the heated grips adequate.

Glad you are enjoying the bike

Buy some bar ends to reduce the vibrations
PSH

Offline Boneman1

• XR Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 09:38:06 AM »
The heated grips are pathetic. I have grip puppies and on the second setting it is warm not hot. I have the evotech bar ends which are much heavier than the standard and are two bits for each side.
My bike had 390 miles when I got it. No vibrations to feel and the mirrors don't vibrate so vision is still clear.

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 05:39:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by PaulS1000XR [+]
Surprised you found the heated grips adequate.

Glad you are enjoying the bike

Buy some bar ends to reduce the vibrations

Based on the posts on here I was surprised as well Paul, but they worked fine enough.

The bar end choices seem to be Cymarc, Evotech and HVMP. Is there much difference between them?

Offline Boneman1

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 06:57:21 PM »
I have not seen cymarc or hvmp which I believe is American. Evotech comes in 2 bits and much heavier than oem and nicely finished.

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 05:18:29 PM »
I have fitted the Givi screen and the SW Motech lower footrests and took it out for a short ride this afternoon. The screen is far more effective than the standard screen and it is comfortable at 70 mph with my visor up, with the wind roar being a lot lower than the standard screen.

The footrests seem kinder to my knees although a longer ride will be undertaken to give them a more thorough test. They are much wider than the stock items and definitely feel more comfortable.

Offline Adventure Boy

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000 XR SE
  • Town: Essex
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2016, 11:14:56 PM »
Had my 16 plate XR Sport SE for 2 weeks and so far ive bought
Evotech Rad guards
Evotech Bar ends
Evotech Crash bobbins
Evotech Axle sliders front and rear
Yoshimura Exhaust
BMW Panniers
BMW Top Box
Pannier and top box inner bags
Engine Case Protectors
Frame bung kit
SW Motech Adjustable foot rests
Puig Light tint touring screen
HP Comfort Seat
HP clutch and brake levers
Powerbronze larger hand guards

without doubt the best part is the Evotech Bar end weights they changed the bike completely
and yes my heated grips are shite if it wouldnt detrace value from the bike id pull them off and fit a set of Oxford ones

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 12:56:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by Adventure Boy [+]
Had my 16 plate XR Sport SE for 2 weeks and so far ive bought
Evotech Rad guards
Evotech Bar ends
Evotech Crash bobbins
Evotech Axle sliders front and rear
Yoshimura Exhaust
BMW Panniers
BMW Top Box
Pannier and top box inner bags
Engine Case Protectors
Frame bung kit
SW Motech Adjustable foot rests
Puig Light tint touring screen
HP Comfort Seat
HP clutch and brake levers
Powerbronze larger hand guards

without doubt the best part is the Evotech Bar end weights they changed the bike completely
and yes my heated grips are shite if it wouldnt detrace value from the bike id pull them off and fit a set of Oxford ones

Blimey, you have been busy!!

My XR already had the BMW top box and alarm when I picked it up. I have the adjustable SW Motech footrests and Givi screen and the rad and oil cooler guards from the racer on Ebay arrived this morning (only ordered them on Thursday so very prompt delivery).

I already have Kappa K33 panniers (same as the Givi V35's) and just need the Givi PLXR5119 quickly detachable rack to be able to mount them. Seat wise I am going to see how I get on with the standard seat first, based on how comfortable I found it on the 2.5 hour ride home on Wednesday night after picking the bike up.

The rest of the farkles can wait. The bike does sound rather good on the power thanks to the induction roar so a wait and see approach is being adopted.

Oh, one final thing, well two actually. The Wunderlich rear hugger and a fenda extender are on the shopping list :002:

Offline DubbleRNR

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 01:00:49 AM »
*Originally Posted by Adventure Boy [+]
Yoshimura Exhaust
They make an exhaust for the XR :261:
Any pictures of yours?