Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Alternative Brake Pad Fitments  (Read 2215 times)

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
  • Town: Welwyn, Herts
Alternative Brake Pad Fitments
« on: December 18, 2016, 10:43:10 AM »
Having owned BMW's for some years I know the OEM brake pads from BMW dealers can prove to be expensive. I was shocked to find that a set of rear pads for my R1200GSA LC were £72 :012: So I looked around for alternatives. I have also done a bit of looking around for the S1000XR, but I have focused more on getting as close to the OEM pads, which of course means Brembo.

The front pads were easy as they are the same pads as in the front of the R1200GSA. The rear pads are not the same as in my GSA but a little bit of looking around soon found the Brembo equivalent.

The Brembo reference for the front pads is 07BB38SA and this is for sintered pads. It might also be listed as 07BB38.84. Brembo recommend these as the standard fitment so I would say these are the same as the ones you would buy from BMW, but without the BMW logo on them.

There are two possibilities for the rear.

The first are listed as a carbon ceramic pad, and these are not sintered. The Brembo reference is 07BB0435. They also list an alternative sintered version as 07BB0483.

I don't know how much the pads will cost from BMW, but if they are the same level as my GSA then they won't be cheap. I have found a supplier in Italy who supplies all sorts of parts and accessories for motorcycles, and their prices are very competitive. They are reliable (in my experience) when it comes to delivery, and it usually only takes 3-4 days from placing the order to getting my parts.

www.carpimoto.it

At the moment their prices for the Brembo brake pads are as follows:

Front 07BB38SA  23.74 euros per pair

Rear 07BB0435 carbon ceramic 16.12    07BB0483 sintered 32.49 euros

They also do the NGK spark plugs for the S1000XR at 7.80 each.

I would imagine the Brembo pads are available in the UK as well, but at least this is a starting point for those looking for replacement pads who want to stick with the OEM compounds but without paying BMW prices.

Offline Triumphboy

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Buckingham
Re: Alternative Brake Pad Fitments
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 07:22:10 PM »
I bought OEM Brembo pads using the part number from their website for my K1300. It appears you cannot buy the copper coloured ones that the dealership uses. The ones I received were painted red. I thought they looked quite good TBH :002:
They were described as Sintered, so shouldn't be different in Compound. They seemed to work as well as the previous factory fitted ones.

Website below to find part numbers etc.
http://www.brembo.com/en/bike/
It's not the easiest website to use so here is the search I eventually managed for the fronts.
http://moto.brembo.com/en/results/bmw/s_1000_xr/1000/2016/pads/front
Cheers

Offline marksmcparts

• Approved Vendor
  • XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Bath
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 06:50:37 PM »
EBC  make a set of their HH pads to fit. Excellent pads, I'll be going that way when mine wear out
Front Part No. FA630HH
Rear Part No. FA209/2HH
Cheers, Mark

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 03:03:09 PM »
I placed an order with Carpimoto on Sunday and it arrived on Thursday. They use FedEx for their deliveries so fully trackable.

I ordered a full set of Brembo brake pads, four NGK spark plugs and a Hi Flo air filter and the total cost, including delivery, was £120. I checked out the prices on the Rainbow BMW site and here they are as a comparison:-

Front pads £72.54 per caliper
Rear pads £48.07
Spark plugs £13.38 each
Air filter £31.07

Total = £277.74

I don't know if the prices on the site include VAT, but you can see that I have been able to source the NGK plugs, OEM standard brake pads (Brembo) and an after market air filter for well under half the price I would be charged by a BMW dealer.

I know Motorworks charge £90 for a service kit which consists of the spark plugs, air and oil filters.

Offline zei220

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000 Sport SE
  • Town: Sandbach
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 06:33:24 PM »
Some good information here, thanks for posting. :460:

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 07:43:17 PM »
I can break it down into sterling now I have the transaction through on my online banking. The exchange rate was 1.186 to £1.

Front pads £19.67 per pair
Rear pads £22.23 (I went for the sintered ones rather than the standard compound ones, based on my experience with my GS LC)
Spark plugs £6.55 each
Air filter £19.05

Shipping £11.13

Total was £120.51